Decision: Atrix or Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by mpossooff, Feb 17, 2011.

1. mpossooff

mpossooff New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I'm currently an AT&T customer and am interested in the Atrix or the Thunderbolt from VZW.

Because of my employer I get 50% off full retail with handsets. So the Atrix would cost me $250 no contract price. Because of my employer with VZW I can get the thunderbolt on a 1 year contract for $30 more instead of $70. So thunderbolt looks like costs might be $280 on a 1 year. VZW doesn't offer discount off of handsets at full retail.

I want the better handset. Any suggestions?

2. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Better is always subjective. Provide your needs/wants and we can comment. Otherwise you'll just get fanboys pushing the device that they prefer. What you prefer is what matters.

3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +873
    The Atrix has better specs, but you really need to physically put your hands on a device and play around to see which will be better for you.

My personal preference, if you are in an LTE area it's a no-brainer - I'd go with the TBolt every time. I don't think the Atrix will even run on HSPA+? If it does, the speed is probably less of a difference as you'd get speeds probably 3-4X what 3G is on VZW (LTE is still 3X faster than that but a much less noticeable difference).

Here's the thing though. For $250 no-contract on AT&T you could sell that in 6 months on EBAY and be out no money with no contractual obligation. A year from now the TBolt is probably still worth something like $200-$250, maybe more, so you're not out much there, either.