Decided To *Try* And Take The Plunge

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by IceAngel8381, May 4, 2011.

1. IceAngel8381

IceAngel8381 New Member

I've decided to take the plunge and *try* to root my Vortex. I've looked on the forum on how to do this, but I'm confused as to where to start. I have the basic idea of what it means to root, but I just don't know where to start. I consider myself pretty computer savy (I'm the one in the family who has to fix them all), and while they are similar, they are different just enough that I don't want to brick my phone.

So, I wanted to see if someone could be so kind to direct me to right area where I could get direction on how to root my phone. I thank you in advance. dancedroid
  2. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

Try using Z4root or SuperOneClick.
  3. IceAngel8381

IceAngel8381 New Member

I've heard good things about Z4root. Just have to see where I can find it. I assume the Market??
  4. syndicate0017

z4root.1.3.0.apk

It was removed from the market. Download it to your SD card and then install the application using a file manger.
  5. IceAngel8381

IceAngel8381 New Member

Thanks Syndicate!! working on it now!! dancedroid
  6. IceAngel8381

IceAngel8381 New Member

Crap....I can't get the Z4root icon to open up.
  7. syndicate0017

After you downloaded it, did you install it using a file manager like Astro?
  8. IceAngel8381

IceAngel8381 New Member

No....I thought I had....I'll uninstall Z4root, then install Astro, then reinstall Z4root. Is Astro available in the Market?
  9. syndicate0017

Si. Astro is available for free in the market. No need to uninstall z4root either. After downloading Astro, just go into the location on your SD card that you saved it to. Then click the z4root apk and you should be given an option to "install application".

Make sure that you are able to install from non-market locations though. There should be an option for that in your settings.
  10. IceAngel8381

IceAngel8381 New Member

I was able to do that with no problem (I reinstalled Z4 from the link you posted) but now when I click the Z4 icon, I get a black screen? I did screw up?
  11. IceAngel8381

IceAngel8381 New Member

So, my daughter got ahold of my phone last night and messed with my phone. :mad: So, I had to reinstall the Z4root app, or try to. I clicked on the link drom the DF page on my phone, and it seems that the page will open, but will not finish loading. It seems to be common with other pages I've tried to load today. I don't know if it is a error with the system, or the fact my daughter got ahold of my phone. I have talked to others (one who has ATT, and one who has VZW) and they have said their phones are running slow as well. However, I'm still going to try to root my phone later.....perhaps today is just a busy news day. :biggrin:

I did notice last night when I could get Z4root to load, after I would click on "permanent root" it would have a black circle on the screen, spinning and would not progress. It would state that it was trying to gain root access, but nothing else happened.