Debating on rooting Droid.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by droijo, Jun 12, 2010.

1. droijo

droijo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello all,

Got my phone for a little over a month now and have been reading up on the forums from day to day. I went though most of the sticky's in this board and still have a couple questions unanswered. Hopefully you guys can fill me in. I have run into a concrete wall on the droid in terms of speed and I just need it to go faster. The part I'm most interested in is OCing it.

1. I have done searches and seen a lot of people saying that it is almost impossible to brick the phone, but the possibility is always there. How confident can you guys be in suggesting me to do so? I'm not new to custom firmwares and rooting devices as I've done it before in other electronic devices, but still; I'd like inputs from those of you that has already done so.

2. Is it possible to go back to stock? Such as recovering the software to stock software and not rooting the phone anymore.

3. Does the market still work and can you still install market apps for regular non rooted phones? I know there are other softwares made specifically for rooted phones only and I would like to know if I can only run rooted softwares or not?

2. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    1: extremely difficult to brick (meaning "beyond recovery", though you can get boot loops and such)

2: yes, it is possible.

3: market works as normal (plus rooted apps)

3. muzhik

muzhik Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Current Phone Model:
    OnePlus One
    being rooted is day / night difference...

4. Nightmares

Nightmares Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing that worries my is the warranty part.

5. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    If you need warranty work, you can always flash back to stock. If you brick your phone, chances are they wont be able to tell. Yes, there is always the possibility of them pulling your phone apart and analyzing what you have done, but IMO, it is more work than Moto will want to do. All VZW will do in the store, is flash the sbf, and you (hopefully) should have tried that before you take it in to the store.

6. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I did it, MAKE A BACKUP and you will not have anything to worry about.

7. altjx

altjx Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I worried too when I first started. Trust me, you'll be fine. I thought I bricked my phone a lot of times but having backup always successfully restored everything. Even without a backup, would be able to just DL a ROM on the computer and put it on the SD card with an SD card adapter, and load up a ROM there. Even with no SD card, I believe with SBF recovery you can restore everything back to stock settings.

8. droijo

droijo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the inputs. When making a backup, I would assume using Astro? That's the only app I have on my phone so far that seems to allow a backup. Are you guys saying I should backup stock or backup after I have rooted the phone?

Now, if I was to start the process to root my phone, should I go with this tutorial?
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/10247-how-install-2-1-easy-way.html
    Or maybe this one since it goes straight to Froyo?
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...royo-step-step-installation-2.html#post528613

It seems like there are many other tutorials, but which one is the best one to go off of?

I basically want to root the phone. Put on Froyo, flash, wifi (I know wifi required additional steps), and OC the phone. I was reading a different tutorial and it said that it was only able to OC to 550, which was stock speed? How much more have you guys been able to OC?

If you guys could link me to getting root, setting up froyo and flash, and have wifi working, that'll be great.

9. mentaloaf

mentaloaf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if my newbie a$$ can do it so can u

Don't even hesitate dude...you will NOT regret it. This is a good thread right here...it's not that hard to do:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

If I were you after learning what I've learned, I'd just root from 2.1, nevermind any kind of froyo trip until after you're rooted...

You basicall just have to put a few drivers and programs on your computer (motorolla device driver, rsd lite, and the SPRecovery file), then follow the steps to rooted glory.

Once you have root, go to the market and get ROM manager (costs a dollar or two, well worth it). You have to get the free and the paid version as one is the license key for the other...Once you're in rom manager, follow the prompts then go to download ROM, and you can get whatever operating system you want (get a froyo one for sure). I've tried almost all of them and by far my favorite is Bugless Beast v 0.1 by Pete...it's froyo..I'm not sure if you can pick a kernel at that point while you're following the prompts, but it is when you get a kernel that you can try overclocking your phone.

Now, about kernels...when I first tried putting a custom rom on my droid I went for the bekit 1.2gHz low voltage and my phone hated it! I thought I had bricked my phone. LUCKILY I had made several BACKUPS. I just went to the previous one I had made and voila I was back in business...then I went for a slightly slower kernel (bekit 1.0gHz), and everything went beautifully! Even with a supposedly slower kernel my phone was lightning fast...a HUGE difference than stock.

There are a bunch of different kernel choices in ROM manager under cyanogen....make sure and get a froyo ready one. I personally have bugless 0.1 with a p3 kernel (1.2gHz low voltage), and I'm loving life..

Lastly, themes...all kinds of different themes to try on there...team chaos' themes are awesome, I currently have nextheme for bb froyo which is really cool...just experiment with it...that's the fun (and downfall) of being rooted..you're always changing stuff, I can never just leave it alone! Most of those are in rom manager.

One more thing about rom manager. It makes ROM's Themes and Kernels really easy to mess around with, BUT you really should learn to do a lot of this on your computer WITHOUT using Rom manager...just so you know how.

Oh and one more thing, when you're prompted to wipe data/cache, what I've done is new rom-wipe, new kernel-wipe, new theme-no wipe...it's worked for me so far. Wiping every time is probably pretty smart, but it's kind of a hassle...also get titanium backup and backup your apps so you don't have to buy them again!

Sorry I didn;t realize I was going to write so much...good luck and this board will be there for you through thick and thin!!

10. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1. As long as you can read and follow the directions you will be fine. You really are going to have to try and brick the phone to do it.

2. Yes, and you must do it if you need to take the phone in for service so your warranty is not void. The directions to revert back to stock are similar to rooting the phone .... it is not as simple as restoring the virgin-oem backup file so you know in advance. Some people think that's how you remove root but you have to reflash files ... but again it's as easy as rooting the phone in the first place.

3. When rooted you can run ANYTHING. Think of an unrooted phone as only allowing some of the features and when you root the phone you unlock all the features.

11. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I strongly recommend you follow this one: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...royo-step-step-installation-2.html#post528613

There is no need to root until 2.2 is installed. Once 2.2 is installed it will also root your Droid at that time.

12. tgs3838

tgs3838 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Iv had my droid a couple months. Just found this site not long ago and Iv been thinking about rooting it. But its something that kinda worries me because id hate to mess it up. But it doesnt seem extremely hard to do. But if you update from 2.1 and go to 2.2 using that link it will root your phone in the process? I think thats what your saying lol. But before i do something like this i wanna make 100% sure. Dont wanna screw it up

13. vzwmandroid

vzwmandroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After root, how's the battery life

14. droijo

droijo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I am looking to take this tutorial as it seems the most complete to what I want to achieve. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...royo-step-step-installation-2.html#post528613

One last question, can you guys give me a little bit more details about the overclock kernels so I know which one to choose. mentaloaf said he is on 1.2ghz low voltage. Does this mean he is on the 125mhz 1200 one? As shown here? P3Droid Kernels

If you guys can go into a bit more detail about it, that'll be great.

15. JoeJxn

JoeJxn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great thread. I was wondering the same things. My phone is incredibly slow

I'm sure its been answered on these forums before but

1) what happens to all the apps I've paid for? I backed them all up with astro. Is that All I needed to do?

2) as the above poster asked, how's the battery life when rooted?

Search tags for this page

what is a downfall of rooting a dripd