Debating if I should buy a Rezound. Would like to get some tips and opinions.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I'm talking about white balance. You are talking about brightness.
Yes, I believe you are mistaking one for the other. Because you are viewing the pictures on the phones, and not in a neutral medium. So the phone display is a variable.

Pictures absolutely should be compared on the phones they are taken to judge a camera.
Not if your goal is to compare the camera quality. Because pictures will not remain on the camera forever...they will be copied and e-mailed. And they will not look the same on your PC as they do on your phone display.

If my display was only showed the color blue, and I took a picture, the picture would not be blue, even though it might look like that on my broken display. Because the picture is not dependent on the display. It has nothing to do with the display.

The vast majority of pictures taken on a phone by the vast majority of camera phone owners are viewed on the phone.
The vast majority of pictures do not remain on your phone...they are e-mailed to friends and family or uploaded to dropbox or whatever. Eventually you will get a new phone and move your pictures then if nothing else.

It is not logical to use a more obscure measuring stick over an every day one.
If you honestly want to compare picture quality, you do it on the same display. Otherwise you are doing an apples and oranges comparison.

Last edited:

digi-head

Reaction score
The screen on the LG isnt perfect, but its way better than the screen on the Rezound. Sharper, lighter, bigger, less pink , blacker and with GorillaGlass.

Sorry, but you can't tell me ANY screen is "way better" than the Rezound. It's absolutely georgeous. I'm looking at a white background right now, and it's white, not pink. It's unbelievably sharp, it's got very deep blacks, and it's plenty bright. I'm coming from a Bionic and this screen absolutely destroys that one. I'm not sure how you could have such an opinion about the Rezound screen if you've never owned one. I'm sure the LG has a very nice screen, but no way it's "way better".

And I'm telling you from experience, the camera is ridiculous. But you don't have to take my word for it, just look at the reviews.

t35rk

Reaction score
Yes, I believe you are mistaking one for the other. Because you are viewing the pictures on the phones, and not in a neutral medium. So the phone display is a variable.

Not if your goal is to compare the camera quality. Because pictures will not remain on the camera forever...they will be copied and e-mailed. And they will not look the same on your PC as they do on your phone display.

If my display was only showed the color blue, and I took a picture, the picture would not be blue, even though it might look like that on my broken display. Because the picture is not dependent on the display. It has nothing to do with the display.

The vast majority of pictures do not remain on your phone...they are e-mailed to friends and family or uploaded to dropbox or whatever. Eventually you will get a new phone and move your pictures then if nothing else.

If you honestly want to compare picture quality, you do it on the same display. Otherwise you are doing an apples and oranges comparison.

The white balance on the Rezound's camera is on the yellow side. The pics you posted taken in the Verizon store, and your at home panorama confirm the tint even on my computer. No monitor alone corrects that. PhotoShop can however.

The sample pics in the Wirefly video also shows a heavy yellow tint, described as "warm". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTMVfhLIc48&feature=youtube_gdata_player The LG sample pic shows a neutral white balance. That is about all that can be taken from the comparison, as the lighting conditions are terrible and the two cameras where not snapped from the same spot.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The white balance on the Rezound's camera is on the yellow side. The pics you posted taken in the Verizon store, and your at home panorama confirm the tint even on my computer.
So you have confirmed that the yellow tint is present only in those pics, taken in a store with yellowish lighting. Not on all Rezound pics in general.

Here are engadget's pics...do you see a yellow tint in these? - HTC Rezound sample shots - Engadget Galleries - and some more - HTC Rezound testshots and videos - a set on Flickr - and more - HTC Rezound Review – Verizon – Droid Life - I am not seeing a yellow tint in those.

t35rk

Reaction score
So you have confirmed that the yellow tint is present only in those pics, taken in a store with yellowish lighting. Not on all Rezound pics in general.

Here are engadget's pics...do you see a yellow tint in these? - HTC Rezound sample shots - Engadget Galleries - and some more - HTC Rezound testshots and videos - a set on Flickr - and more - HTC Rezound Review – Verizon – Droid Life - I am not seeing a yellow tint in those.

I see yellowish chrome in the subway car and yellowish walls in the hotel hallway to name a couple. The Rezound's white balance gives pictures a "warm" appearance, no matter the monitor you view it on. That is doesn't mean its always a bad thing, it's just different than the LG camera.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
You are seeing stuff that all these reviewers are not. Maybe you are right and everyone else is wrong. You should become a reviewer.

t35rk

Reaction score
Sorry, but you can't tell me ANY screen is "way better" than the Rezound. It's absolutely georgeous. I'm looking at a white background right now, and it's white, not pink. It's unbelievably sharp, it's got very deep blacks, and it's plenty bright. I'm coming from a Bionic and this screen absolutely destroys that one. I'm not sure how you could have such an opinion about the Rezound screen if you've never owned one. I'm sure the LG has a very nice screen, but no way it's "way better".

And I'm telling you from experience, the camera is ridiculous. But you don't have to take my word for it, just look at the reviews.

The Rezound's screen is very good but is topped by even the lcd screen that is on my original Incredible imo. Much blacker blacks, brighter, more natural looking flesh tones on videos and white backgrounds that aren't pink. Side by side with an Inc, you easily notice a pinkish background in the newer HTC. I wish I never compared in the first place. I would have had no complaints with the Rezound.

t35rk

Reaction score
You are seeing stuff that all these reviewers are not. Maybe you are right and everyone else is wrong. You should become a reviewer.

The wirefly review showed side by side pics. You can easily see the difference in white balance. The reviewer called the rezound picture "warm" and has been consistent with the rezound pics you took and posted, and the pics I have taken. I don't know why you say you can't see it?

The camera segment is 5 minutes in. Brutal lighting conditions and the fact that he took the two pictures from different angles proves little to the overall comparison, but it easily shows the difference in white balance.

Link doesn't work sorry. Look for rezound vs spectrum video by wirefly. The camera segment is 5 minutes in.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The wirefly review showed side by side pics. You can easily see the difference in white balance. The reviewer called the rezound picture "warm" and has been consistent with the rezound pics you took and posted, and the pics I have taken. I don't know why you say you can't see it?
It isn't just me...I have not heard it from other rezound owners or from other reviewers.
The fact that you're the only one saying this leads me to believe it is more likely that it us just you.

t35rk

Reaction score
It isn't just me...I have not heard it from other rezound owners or from other reviewers.
The fact that you're the only one saying this leads me to believe it is more likely that it us just you.

Surely you see a difference of white balance in these two pics from cnet:

View attachment 46958View attachment 46961

Bonus points if can tell which one would be considered "warm" and is taken from the Rezound.

t35rk

Reaction score

Here's a Rezound review that talks about the white balance issue, and how to resolve it. Of course you won't need to resolve it since you don't even notice the issue. ;)

HTC Rezound Camera
3_of_5.png

The Rezound has HTC's now-familiar 8 megapixel camera with 28mm, f/2.2 lens and backside illuminated sensor that can record 1080p HD video. HTC has updated the camera interface with quick access to various effects while shooting, so you can see the effect before you take the shot. The camera supports tap-to-focus and zooming with the volume keys, though you can also zoom with the on-screen slider. Focus was fast, as was shot to shot time. The quality of the pictures is good, with sharp detail and low noise, but the Rezound's camera has trouble with automatic white balance under incandescent lighting. Switching over to the incandescent white balance setting resolves the problem.

View attachment 46964View attachment 46965

HTC Rezound (Verizon Wireless) review

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Bonus points if can tell which one would be considered "warm" and is taken from the Rezound.
Source? You just posted two pics from nowhere. I would like to see the source link.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The quality of the pictures is good, with sharp detail and low noise, but the Rezound's camera has trouble with automatic white balance under incandescent lighting. Switching over to the incandescent white balance setting resolves the problem.
That is from your own link. Maybe that is why none of the reviewers mention it...because all you have to do to "fix" it is change modes. Your one complaint about the Rezound's camera is not really a complaint about the quality at all, since the complaint is based only on one mode.

You are knocking the Rezound's camera quality simply because of it's default mode? You think it should be tuned for incandescent lighting by default? That seems a little unreasonable to me.