Death of the Razr Maxx

OP
P

pdholtz

Reaction score
We have a business account with quit a few Bionics on it. Assurion ran out of replacement devices a long time ago, but Verizon has continued to ship warranty replacement phones as recently as 3 weeks ago. I would assume the Razr Maxx would have a decent supply as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

hyperrexsi

Reaction score
Just had my Maxx replaced with a flawless refurb from Verizon about a week ago.
They have warranty replacements.
I suspect Assurion has insurance replacements also.

Then i just always have the bad luck. I went through 3 og droids 4 x before they had enough and gave me a x2 and now this is my 3rd maxx..

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Then i just always have the bad luck. I went through 3 og droids 4 x before they had enough and gave me a x2 and now this is my 3rd maxx..
What kind of issues are you having?
My original one out of the box was flawless. The JB update hosed mine.
I told them software issues and the refurb I got is flawless and works the same way.

hyperrexsi

Reaction score
What kind of issues are you having?
My original one out of the box was flawless. The JB update hosed mine.
I told them software issues and the refurb I got is flawless and works the same way.

Well the first one i got new started this funny blue screen flicker after ICS ota. Sent that one back and got a refurb and that one came to me with a charging problem. It said it was charging but wasnt taking the charge. So far this one the third one no problems yet. But i have noticed a major lag compared to my first one.

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
It doesn't surprise me anymore when they kill off phones that have only been out for a year or so. They have a new one out every 4 months. We're all "outdated" now.

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me anymore when they kill off phones that have only been out for a year or so. They have a new one out every 4 months. We're all "outdated" now.
We were outdated the moment the MAXX HD arrived, back in...October?

YellowJacket

Reaction score

I agree. I used to be a couple years of fame for a flagship phone like the Maxx but nowadays, less than one year is typical....even for the iPhoney. Carriers and phone makers make their profits by pushing out new "features" and "better" phones in hopes that users will upgrade the first chance they get....which is also a reason fewer and fewer phones see regular updates. What is that???? built in obsolescence???

So, you have to ask yourself, is your phone truely outdated? Just because it has reached EOL in the carriers eyes, doesn't mean it has to in yours. (everyones)

Its going to be interesting to see what happens if Verizon follows T-Mo's plan to drop carrier subsidies and charge full price for phones. IMHO, I seriously doubt monthly rates will go down, in fact, I feel they will stay the same and we will just end up paying more for new phones. Its a win-win for the carrier.

David

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I agree. I used to be a couple years of fame for a flagship phone like the Maxx but nowadays, less than one year is typical....even for the iPhoney. Carriers and phone makers make their profits by pushing out new "features" and "better" phones in hopes that users will upgrade the first chance they get....which is also a reason fewer and fewer phones see regular updates. What is that???? built in obsolescence???

So, you have to ask yourself, is your phone truely outdated? Just because it has reached EOL in the carriers eyes, doesn't mean it has to in yours. (everyones)
Aren't we "entitled" to the same updates (Android version wise) within the two years of our contract? I'm not quite sure how that works. Or does that mean we just have to keep paying for our service for two years but if an incompatible (hardware wise) update to the Android OS makes its way to another phone in that time period, we're screwed?

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Aren't we "entitled" to the same updates (Android version wise) within the two years of our contract? I'm not quite sure how that works. Or does that mean we just have to keep paying for our service for two years but if an incompatible (hardware wise) update to the Android OS makes its way to another phone in that time period, we're screwed?

In an ideal world, yes, we should get updates to prolong the usefulness, fix problems and add new features to our devices. However, in a profit driven market that seeks to draw new subscribers, releasing new and better devices at a rapid rate to attract new subscribers is the new way of doing business.

You would also thing that at the end of our two year contracts during which the subsidy should have been paid off, our rates would go down. Doesn't seem to be the case which is what worries me as carriers look to stop the subsidies. I am afraid that the cost of phones will go up and the rates will not go down.

I remember when I thought $40.00 a month was a lot to pay. Heh heh heh.... and I may be showing my age... I had a motorola bag phone. It was 1989 and I was fresh out of college (again) and working home healthcare in the boonies. I needed to stay in touch so I paid around $1000.00 for it - with a battery and external antenna. I think its still in my parents attic to.

David

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I remember when I thought $40.00 a month was a lot to pay. Heh heh heh.... and I may be showing my age... I had a motorola bag phone. It was 1989 and I was fresh out of college (again) and working home healthcare in the boonies. I needed to stay in touch so I paid around $1000.00 for it - with a battery and external antenna. I think its still in my parents attic to.

1989 - I was 10. I might still have my parents' TRS-80 somewhere. I remember playing on that and learning MS-DOS commands. Yet, I think it's impressive when I hear about these kids programming things, and well I forget that I sort of did the same thing, in comparison. That is, made the computer do what, at the time, an average 10 year old would go "huh, what?" to.

I'm not even interested in upgrading right now, anyway. I'd like to see if they bring the Thunderbolt interface to phones, and USB 3.0, which they should have by now. I also hear that in 2014, USB 3.0 speeds will double. At that point, maybe I'll see what a Windows phone CAN do and maybe revert back to one, but only if it's capable of running a desktop version of games like Crysis (1, 2 and 3), all of the CoD games and all of the Battlefield games. But, I still think we're a few years away from that. If I understand this correctly, CPU and GPU makers would delay production of laptop compatible versions of their upgrades and it seems like now they don't, so much. Maybe we'll see the same thing in the mobile world. I can't help but to wonder if carrying around a phone with a Core i7 3970x CPU and a GTX 680 GPU (or something like these), docking it and running everything I want to will come to fruition sooner than later. This would end up in the death of the Desktop. Maybe by 2020 or sooner?

YellowJacket

Reaction score
heh heh heh... I was once a droid bashing iPhone hating Windoze Phone lover when I had my HTC Touch Pros until MS decided to pull the plug on their app store. Wasn't a problem until I had to do a hard reset one day and couldn't load any of my purchased apps anymore.

Found a classmate that sold me an almost brand new HTC EVO for $25.00 (which I later sold for $250.00 to get my Maxx) and fell in love. I had already been experimenting with loading Froyo on the SD card of my HTC Touch Pro II and running Android on my Windoze phone. I loved the EVO but the baes I could get out of it was 9 hours on a good day. I had to carry 2 spare batteries with me. Also, Sprint had no 4g in my area, yet I still had to pay for it.... but thats another story.

BTW, I still have a working TRS-80, a working Magnavox Oddesey and a somewhat working Commodore PET (from the late 1970's and it looked like a white Darth Vader)

David

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I might've mentioned this on another thread, but I FDR'd my phone 3x, installed JuiceDefender Ultimate (although I don't know if it's necessary) and noticed after 14 hours of use, my battery is at 60%. Maybe it'll change when Juicedefender "conditions" itself more. Long story short, I don't need a new phone now, not until NFC gets its act together and is working well. Maybe in the Post-JB version of Android? Maybe they'll be on the MAXX UHD by then. LOL

phil1166

Reaction score
I noticed on the Verizon website that they only offer the Maxx bundle but not the Maxx by itself. They still offer the Razr. Why would they still offer the Razr & not the Maxx. It's the same phone but with a better battery