Death of Game Emulators

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Arguably, but not really, the most popular emulators on the Android Market have been yanked by Google. The *oid line, developed by Yongzh, seems to have finally rubbed Google, or some console developers the wrong way.

5-28-11-n64oid2.jpg

Engadget has noted that Mr. Zhang has moved his line of emulators to the SlideME store where they will be free for the time being so users who purchased the apps in the Market will continue to receive updates for the time being.

SOURCE: Android Market's most popular emulators disappear without a trace (update) -- Engadget

FnTwizted

Reaction score
Too bad, I really liked his emulators... bought most of them. I wonder what the reasoning behind this is.. Y keep fighting brother!

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I have the apk's for the nes, snes, genesis,and n64 latest version if anyone needs them you can PM me.

Actually, sharing apk's on the site isn't allowed =/...so u might tet in trouble if an admin sees this

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
What a cult google is...oh wait...that doesn't apply here right?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

scrizzo

Reaction score

Read the update.

Simply put, he took code that is given out for free, made a program and charged for it. He then refused to provide his source code which is a requirement. He failed to follow the terms so he got his apps taken off. I checked and there are other emulators there.

Correct me if i'm wrong but that's what i got from the update and comments.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Read the update.

Simply put, he took code that is given out for free, made a program and charged for it. He then refused to provide his source code which is a requirement. He failed to follow the terms so he got his apps taken off. I checked and there are other emulators there.

Correct me if i'm wrong but that's what i got from the update and comments.

So he violated googles rule so google removed him? How does that not make google a cult?

darkmatter

Reaction score
These are classic games that mostly are no longer available or hard to find/get.

Unless those companies are going to come out with their own quality emulator, and until they do, then what's the harm?

For crying out loud, just buy the guy out and you're 90% of the way there, or cut a deal with him.

This

If the 3DS had a built in emulator for all previous nintendo systems, I would have bought it by now. I would be willing to pay a dollar or two for games. more than that, and its not worth paying for a game I've likely played before and just want to play for the sake of nostalgia.

Or Sony's NGP, if it comes with ps1, ps2 and psp emulators, I won't even think twice about getting it. However, if they charge 15ish per game like it seems they want to do with the games for xperia play, it'll be DOA. I don't see anyone paying more than a couple dollars for 10 year old games they've already played.

I was peeved when I found out my newly purchased PS3 wouldn't play my ps2 games. Is it really that hard for them to develop an emulator for ps3 so it can play my extensive collection of ps2 games?

I'm one of those people that don't mind paying to get something legitimately, but when nintendo/sony/etc don't even offer these things, I'm left looking to the community to provide such things. So, with emulators pulled, we'd better see official releases.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
These are classic games that mostly are no longer available or hard to find/get.

Unless those companies are going to come out with their own quality emulator, and until they do, then what's the harm?

For crying out loud, just buy the guy out and you're 90% of the way there, or cut a deal with him.

This

If the 3DS had a built in emulator for all previous nintendo systems, I would have bought it by now. I would be willing to pay a dollar or two for games. more than that, and its not worth paying for a game I've likely played before and just want to play for the sake of nostalgia.

Or Sony's NGP, if it comes with ps1, ps2 and psp emulators, I won't even think twice about getting it. However, if they charge 15ish per game like it seems they want to do with the games for xperia play, it'll be DOA. I don't see anyone paying more than a couple dollars for 10 year old games they've already played.

I was peeved when I found out my newly purchased PS3 wouldn't play my ps2 games. Is it really that hard for them to develop an emulator for ps3 so it can play my extensive collection of ps2 games?

I'm one of those people that don't mind paying to get something legitimately, but when nintendo/sony/etc don't even offer these things, I'm left looking to the community to provide such things. So, with emulators pulled, we'd better see official releases.

It would be ideal if they did this, but they don't have to release an official version, just because they complained and had thr emulators pulled

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

This

The only thing I've heard about the NGP is that u will be able to port ps3 games over to it

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

GameBoiye

Reaction score
Arguably, but not really, the most popular emulators on the Android Market have been yanked by Google. The *oid line, developed by Yongzh, seems to have finally rubbed Google, or some console developers the wrong way.

5-28-11-n64oid2.jpg

Engadget has noted that Mr. Zhang has moved his line of emulators to the SlideME store where they will be free for the time being so users who purchased the apps in the Market will continue to receive updates for the time being.

SOURCE: Android Market's most popular emulators disappear without a trace (update) -- Engadget

I'd like to challenge this. "Arguably, but not really" Explain your logic. This guy was releasing emulators back on the Android market before there was an Android Market. For over 2+ years he was the only one releasing the emulators and was constantly fixing and updating them. Only just recently did everyone else start releasing emulators and then people started complaining that he was charging for something he should not have. The guy worked on these emulators for 2 years and they are as a result extremely compatible and very good. I'd pay for that in a heartbeat. Y

ongzh will always have a spot in my heart and on my phone. He gave us something when no one else ever did. Regardless of what the scene is like now he was there for us when no one else was.

Long live Yongzh!!