Dearth of online banking applications for Android

mapexvenus

Reaction score
I am wondering why the number of banks that have written Android-based apps are so few. I am not referring to third party developers writing banking apps, I am talking about the banks writing their own apps. After the recent phishing scam that has been in the news, I am only going to trust apps written by the banks themselves.

So, any ideas when more banks will jump onto the Android bandwagon?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am wondering why the number of banks that have written Android-based apps are so few. I am not referring to third party developers writing banking apps, I am talking about the banks writing their own apps. After the recent phishing scam that has been in the news, I am only going to trust apps written by the banks themselves.

Nope, it would be good, but I manage just fine with the mobile site. I just bookmark my bank site and add the icon to my folder. Works great for me.

BSmith

Reaction score
Because it's not an Iphone. I doubt they want to spend money so that a few people can access their banking stuff on their Android phones, especially when many banks already have a mobile site.

crspang

Reaction score
When they figure out a way to MAKE money from the app.

Uh ok. Now lets try and answer my question without the weak attempt at humor.

I was being serious.......how many banks do you know of that just give things away without some forethought of how it is going to benefit them later?
So to answer your question; Banks will jump on the Android bandwagon when they can make it profitable, my guess would in the next 10-12 months.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any bank who puts out an app is going to have to offer support for that app.... Those jobs will cost the bank money... so if they're not gaining from the app where's the incentive?
Also, Android is not as unified as the iPhone is.... it would require more work to get banking apps working on all platforms, where as the iPhone they only have to worry about one.

Give it time, I'm sure we'll see banks making these type of apps available as the platform grows.

dremelts

Reaction score
I am wondering why the number of banks that have written Android-based apps are so few. I am not referring to third party developers writing banking apps, I am talking about the banks writing their own apps. After the recent phishing scam that has been in the news, I am only going

to trust apps written by the banks themselves.

I guess I'm not really sure what an "app" does for you. I just use my bank's secure web site to do all my banking, bill payments etc. I live in MI and my bank is in CA... I have never even seen my bank. I started using them way back when on-line banking was a new thing and none of the local banks offered it.

OP
M

mapexvenus

Reaction score
I am wondering why the number of banks that have written Android-based apps are so few. I am not referring to third party developers writing banking apps, I am talking about the banks writing their own apps. After the recent phishing scam that has been in the news, I am only going

to trust apps written by the banks themselves.

I guess I'm not really sure what an "app" does for you. I just use my bank's secure web site to do all my banking, bill payments etc. I live in MI and my bank is in CA... I have never even seen my bank. I started using them way back when on-line banking was a new thing and none of the local banks offered it.

All I want is to be able to use a app / website that presents me with an interface that is mobile-friendly. In other words, I do not want to have to deal with horizontal scrolling or formatting that makes navigation challenging. So you (and other posters above are right), - it doesnt have to be an 'app', even a mobile-friendly site will work fine. Right now all the banks I work with with the exception of one have websites that are not mobile friendly.

lauriep

Reaction score
Then you should be pressuring those banks to come up with mobile sites. Not so difficult a challenge.