Dear Droid X: You are a terrible device for email.

evmiashe

Reaction score
Droid X - not synching/retrieving email anymore

My Droid X stopped retrieving emails automatically about 3 days ago. I was having to manually retrieve emails whenever I wanted to check for messages....very annoying!! I read these posts and then decided to power down and pull out the battery for 30 seconds. Now it is retrieving email fine on it's own (fetch cycle every 15 min).

Let's see how long this lasts....

zodder

Reaction score
I know it doesn't directly address the Android issue of email syncing, but Nitrodesk Touchdown has been flawless for me for over a year now. It's $19.99, but it works great with Exchange.

Jefferson67

Reaction score
Frustrated

Hey All:

So, I am a new Droid X owner. I can't believe that they have this "flawed" issue of syncing emails/calendars.

Note - I'm not very "techy" so I can only decipher things people post in layman's terms.

It appears some people have gotten the "sync" to work perfectly.

I've spent lots and lots of time and am almost there. I've got the corporate sync set-up, however, here is my issue that I'll be happy to have resolved:

My desktop hotmail account - it will sync perfectly TO my Droid X at this point. (I was stunned that I got that far in my settings to make it work). However, when I make changes on the Droid X (read message, update my calendar), it will NOT show the message as read or the calendar updated in my hotmail.

I know that some people have this working perfectly. Some people have posted solutions that I don't understand.

Does anyone have a final solution for me that can be spelled out in simple terms?

Thanks for everyone's assistance!

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea this happens to me on any non Gmail account. its really a pain in the neck to constantly be checking work email instead of getting the notification. Im not sure what the cause of this issue is, I dont see that many people complaining about it.

TBH, I believe that is due to the fact that MOST of us who connect to corporate email accounts tend to use a 3rd party solution such as Touchdown. The built-in mail client is EXTREMELY limited even when it does work. For instance, I have no problems with my main Inbox pushing. But there is absolutely no way to set it up to push subfolders, they must be manually refreshed.

carguy

Reaction score
Sounds like a problem I came here to post today.

I've had my X for a few weeks now. Until this week, my non-gmail email addresses have been syncing themselves just fine. Notification icons appeared on the top bar and I checked the messages.

These past few days, this has not been happening. No changes to my two email configurations. Both accounts are setup as imap/smtp.

Any ideas? Settings I can check?

maurilax

Reaction score
I have upgraded to rubix 1.9.5 and the leak for .340. My email notifications and fetching seem to be much more reliable now.

dsteinschneider

Reaction score
Agree with Zodder, NitroDesk Touchdown has worked flawlessly for myself and about 25 clients I've setup on it. As a longtime WinMo user I have to say that the combination of the Droid X and Touchdown puts the native WinMo 6.5 Mobile Outlook client to shame. I guess that makes sense as 6.5 is a slightly reworked Windows CE that's about 10 years old.

I just set up a client on an LG Quantum Windows Phone 7 which verified my decision last summer to jump to Android. Not that my client doesn't like it but there were almost no user configurable settings on it. I wanted to set the font larger but apparently that's not an option.

I was always super annoyed (notice my use of microsoft speak :) ) when I had to click a tiny icon (forced me to get out my stylus) to show images for HTML email in Mobile Outlook on WinMo 6.5 and once again to enabling scrolling to the right in the email. Why those two settings couldn't set as defaults is beyond me. Well I'm ranting just to make the point that Touchdown is everything I imagined the Exchange based mobile email experience could be. The email comes in instantly, looks exactly like it does on my computer images and all.

Last edited:

Mule65

Reaction score
It's ridiculous that it hasn't been fixed. I don't expect it to ever be fixed since it's lame duck Moto-Blur craptastic software.

So, I paid $20 to have my Yahoo "Plus" email POPed to Gmail for a year. Yahoo Mail has been getting suckier over the years -- good riddance. Well worth $20 bucks as Gmail works great. Did you know that opening Gmail on a PC clears the notification and LED on your Droid? Very nice.

Killed all the craptastic Blur mail in "My Accounts". Got "Improved Email" from the Market and plugged in my work Exchange account. Voila, push and notify works perfectly.

It's a BS workaround but there's no fetching and now I'm happy.

chaluk

Reaction score
K9 Mail. Free and works great for my gmail and IMAP accounts.

horus

Reaction score
So I was wondering why all my email accounts had unsent messages in the OUTBOX today... a battery pull and all is good. Does this happen once a month or something? Very disappointing to say the least.