Dear Android!

RWCouck

Reaction score
I woke up this morning & came to the realization that I have made up my mind. I have been struggling with what to do with my Dinc. I love the phone but the horrible battery life is killing me. So I had to just rant in a lil Dear Android blog.

Why the hell does Verizon get halfway decent phones? It seems like each android phone has something great & something bad about it. And I don't want to hear the, " well sometimes you have to sacrafice one thing for another". No i refuse to do that. Is it so hard to make a phone that has all solid specs? The new Droid yes great keyboard (not for me) but the horrible display, thunderbolt don't even get me started & the new Dinc has such a horrible speaker its unreal. I am not interested in 4g yet since its not complete & think 3g is just fine.

I am giving android 2 more chances to keep me because i do love the os. First is the Droid Bionic, i know i said im not interested in 4g but the bionic is interesting & the Nexus 3. If its not on Verizon then there's is a huge chance ill be going to iPhone or Blackberry!

PS why can HTC bring out phones like Evo 3D but when Verizon gets an HTC 4g we get the thunderbolt? Ridiculous

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

Deadns1de

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I can't wait to ditch my Incredible in March and get the iPhone. Only for the battery life. Why have a phone that does everything? But you have to chain it to the wall charger to do everything. And, yes I'm rooted and have a custom rom and I have the EVO 4g 1500 mAh battery in my Incredible.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I love my Incredible, had it since Nov 10.

The battery life is pathetic, I admit, but I manage to stretch it the whole day (usually end my day hovering around 50%) I do tend to plug it in when I'm driving and that really does help me use it constantly throughout the day.

I think the Incredible is a great phone. Nice size, nice feel, and its snappy. It looks good even though it's 85% plastic, but it's a good looking plastic. The battery is the only thing that needed work in my opinion.

As for Bionic, when that releases and you pick it up, I hope you like it. I doubt the Nexus 3 comes to Verizon as so far Nexus has been a T-Mobile only phone.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
i think you'll be pleased with the bionic (I'm saying that becuase I'm getting it and I wanna be please with it too haha), but I understand your frustration. android has amazing phones, but like you said all of them end up having undeniable problems (well undeniable to those who take off the fanboy shades). I'm hoping the bionic will solve some of the major issues that have plagued android phones like poor battery life, and sluggishness after a couple weeks of use...if not then i wouldnt blame you for going iphone.

jhumbo

Reaction score
Is it so hard to make a phone that has all solid specs?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: You could make a phone with all the specs but it would be costly and power hungry. Power hungry means either short battery life or larger/heavier device. So, even though you don't want sacrifices, that's what the phone manufacturers have to do. They have to decide what to sacrifice. It's all about tradeoffs.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is it so hard to make a phone that has all solid specs?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: You could make a phone with all the specs but it would be costly and power hungry. Power hungry means either short battery life or larger/heavier device. So, even though you don't want sacrifices, that's what the phone manufacturers have to do. They have to decide what to sacrifice. It's all about tradeoffs.

Not necessarily, I guarantee the 4G iPhone will have amazing battery life whenever the heck it comes out. You can say a lot about Steve Jobs and Apple, but they do not release a product unless its near perfect. Believe me the 4G iPhone is not going to be randomly rebooting and getting 10hrs of battery life or require being plugged into the wall always. It will be worth the wait for those that want to wait for it.

The problem with Android is they're making sacrifices where they shouldn't. I'm sure most people would prefer a phone that doesn't die over one that has tech that came out the day before yesterday. it's cool to be cutting edge but not when your phone's performance suffers cuz of it.

OP
R

RWCouck

Reaction score
That's exactly what my point was. And I don't mean the phone has to be 4g, dual core with tons of ram, memory and everything possible. I'm looking for a phone that i can play some nice games on, surf the web a lil, receive emails, have a few fun apps & be able to make & receive calls & texts. I don't think that's to much to ask for when thinking about battery life. And I'm sorry but i would be more than happy if my phone was a lil thicker to have a better battery. But I'm not gonna have some huge ugly bulge that's just awkward to hold. Don't get me wrong i love android and all its possibilities but i think they made a mistake allowing everyone to skin it & use their own UI. But that's just my opinion. Agree or disagree i respect your opinion as well!

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Its kinda disappointing that every other main US carrier is getting far better phones than VZ, but I would NOT get a iphone.

I used one for a few weeks and ended up selling it.
Theres not enough cool stuff.

jhumbo

Reaction score
That's exactly what my point was. And I don't mean the phone has to be 4g, dual core with tons of ram, memory and everything possible. I'm looking for a phone that i can play some nice games on, surf the web a lil, receive emails, have a few fun apps & be able to make & receive calls & texts. I don't think that's to much to ask for when thinking about battery life. And I'm sorry but i would be more than happy if my phone was a lil thicker to have a better battery. But I'm not gonna have some huge ugly bulge that's just awkward to hold.

Oh gotcha. Well, what you said up there makes a lot of sense. In your original post you said something about refusing to make sacrifices, but I get what you're saying here. You want a polished product and feel most of the Android phones are rushed to market and are not polished and battery life issues are a big flaw. Can't disagree too much with that.

nikecar

Reaction score
After the GB update on my Dinc2, im getting better battery life. The other day I was at 26 hrs not charged and I had 40% left. I stream music and did some long calls.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Every phone is probably going to have some flaw, even if they are subjective flaws. This includes iPhones, Blackberries, Microsoft.... There will be more than likely something wrong with all of them. Other carriers won't help this issue. There is no such thing as a perfect phone. You may not have issues, but I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to find someone that has a gripe with it.

Basically when shopping for a phone I look to see if the device fits my needs and wants. I then look at it's problems or possible problems, and see if I can live with them. If I think I can't live with the problems, it may be best to ignore the device and look elsewhere. Or wait, sometimes problems are fixed in an update (or through root if you are into that). I over analyze and over-think my large purchases, since I will be more than likely stuck with whatever I get for over a year. Even though I do that, I have definitely had phones (and many other items...cars...shoes....food....) that turned out to have some flaw I didn't like.

bigdad63

Reaction score
I'm feelin' the frustration too. I was just thinking about the Charge today. I like the screen and kind of funky shape (and of course the 4G), but the thing is as slow as cold molasses. And don't tell me they couldn't have done anything better because the gs2 was supposed to have been released and they didn't want to step on its toes. They could have easily done a dual core at 900 (heck even 800) mhz to preserve battery life and it would have stomped the crap out of pretty much everything at vzw. And then the Charge would have been like the Corvette and the GS2 the Ferrari. Even if the GS2 keeps the same 1.2 dual core proc it would represent a 33 or 50% increase in the processor speed and tons of people would still buy it. But as usual vzw gets the crud phones. And how about the D3, with the most quiet (and worst release) ever? I hope the bionic is great, otherwise it might be time to start looking at a new carrier and/or operating system.:icon_evil:

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I'm feelin' the frustration too. I was just thinking about the Charge today. I like the screen and kind of funky shape (and of course the 4G), but the thing is as slow as cold molasses. And don't tell me they couldn't have done anything better because the gs2 was supposed to have been released and they didn't want to step on its toes. They could have easily done a dual core at 900 (heck even 800) mhz to preserve battery life and it would have stomped the crap out of pretty much everything at vzw. And then the Charge would have been like the Corvette and the GS2 the Ferrari. Even if the GS2 keeps the same 1.2 dual core proc it would represent a 33 or 50% increase in the processor speed and tons of people would still buy it. But as usual vzw gets the crud phones. And how about the D3, with the most quiet (and worst release) ever? I hope the bionic is great, otherwise it might be time to start looking at a new carrier and/or operating system.:icon_evil:

Not a new operating system for me,( iOS bores me and I have never like WP7) but definitely a new carrier.

Its kinda annoying when TMobile gets the Sensation, Sprint gets the EVO3D, ATT has the Atrix, but Verizons flagship is probably the Thunderbolt.

And even though the Atrix/Sensation/Evo3D beat the TB in specs, the Thunderbolt costs MUCH more.

Verizons little pay more and get less strategy sucks...