[Deal Alert] Verizon LG G2 is Now FREE with a New Contract Until November 11th

acousticshade

Reaction score
If you look at VZW history of how they've actually acted - not rumored to do, but what they actually have done - what I said has a nearly certain likelihood of coming to fruition.

Ha, now you know you are going to have to eat crow if it doesn't! ;)

Like Tat, my crystal ball doesn't work, which is why I've been sitting on the fence. This is the phone I want though, so this deal (which is stellar) seems like the appropriate time for me to jump. I just have to decide if I want to buy it outright or go with the MAXX plan. If the MAXX plan will increase my monthly cost though, it would be off the table.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ha, now you know you are going to have to eat crow if it doesn't! ;)

Hahaha, I've been right for 3+ years and counting.

Of course VZW could always act completely out of character, but you don't need a crystal ball to see the vast majority of these rumors are completely at odds with how VZW has treated their customers for many, many years.

TatDroid

Reaction score
At least provide a source for this info.

Nothing i can find online says its somehow different from an edge plan, with the one exception that you get one last subsidized device.

SOURCE: Verizon Max plan to offer 6GB for $30 to wean unlimited data users onto a tiered plan

EDIT: Chatted with a VZW rep, and she confirmed that no such mythical plan exists. If you go to the 6GB "max" plan, you're on an edge plan.
I'm just stating the facts of my plan. With edge plans you are not on contract and you pay full retail price. With Max plan you ARE on contract (2 years) and you pay subsidized price for a new phone. The Max plan is exactly like a normal 2 year data plan (because it IS a 2 year data plan) and exactly the opposite of the Edge plans.

I believe what you, and the articles you've read, are saying is that once your 2 year Max plan contract is OVER, they will then want to roll you onto an Edge plan. That's fine, when my contract is over I'm free to go anywhere I want and sign any new contract I want.

What I have done today is to lock myself in to 6GB of data for the next two years - which is twice my current usage level - at a price that is SUBSTANTIALLY less than any plan that Verizon now offers. I got a $650 phone for $199, and I am no longer month-to-month and at risk of getting 30 day notice that my data plan is changing.

For me, the Max plan is win/win.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Let's stay respectful with our opinions and comments...Post editing with a morning cup of coffee is not what I like to do on Sunday mornings...

acousticshade

Reaction score
Hahaha, I've been right for 3+ years and counting.

I'm hoping you are right also. Those of us who live in rural areas are pretty much at the mercy of Verizon. At&t is an alternate, but it usually costs more and the coverage is significantly less.

While we are probably a small percentage of big red's customers, if they decide to jack their prices up, there is not much we can do but take it.

devdeuce

Reaction score
I'm just stating the facts of my plan. With edge plans you are not on contract and you pay full retail price. With Max plan you ARE on contract (2 years) and you pay subsidized price for a new phone. The Max plan is exactly like a normal 2 year data plan (because it Is a 2 year data plan) and exactly the opposite of the Edge plans.

I believe what you, and the articles you've read, are saying is that once your 2 year Max plan contract is OVER, they will then want to roll you onto an Edge plan. That's fine, when my contract is over I'm free to go anywhere I want and sign any new contract I want.

What I have done today is to lock myself in to 6GB of data for the next two years - which is twice my current usage level - at a price that is SUBSTANTIALLY less than any plan that Verizon now offers. I got a $650 phone for $199, and I am no longer month-to-month and at risk of getting 30 day notice that my data plan is changing.

Thank you! After talking to countless people, including several Verizon workers, everyone was acting like it never existed. I was starting to think maybe I was crazy. Now if someone could only confirm what the best buy guy told me is true and they can indeed put you on the maxx plan and best buy gets a deal like Verizon has for the g2, then I can get a new phone. If there is a deal like that in the near future, I will try it and let everyone know.

there is no spoon

devdeuce

Reaction score
Just saw that htc one is once again $50 at best buy, if it's not just an online deal, maybe I'll go try.

there is no spoon

devdeuce

Reaction score
Just saw that htc one is once again $50 at best buy, if it's not just an online deal, maybe I'll go try.

there is no spoon

Nevermind, that is only for Sprint. Sorry for the false alarm.

there is no spoon

Big Ry

Reaction score
I'm just stating the facts of my plan. With edge plans you are not on contract and you pay full retail price. With Max plan you ARE on contract (2 years) and you pay subsidized price for a new phone. The Max plan is exactly like a normal 2 year data plan (because it IS a 2 year data plan) and exactly the opposite of the Edge plans.

If what you are saying is true, then it's not an edge plan, but it's also not a typical contract plan. Signing a data contract that "locks in" your data plan for 2 years is fundamentally different than any plan Verizon has offered to date. Every other Verizon contract is for calling only. Text, data, and others are simply features that are not guaranteed and can be removed or changed at any time for any reason by Verizon or the customer. Historically, Verizon hasn't gone the route of removing our changing people's features, so they are no more likely to do it with someone on contact than someone off contact. It sounds to me like you just bought yourself one more subsidy. But once it's time for a new device, you're stuck. No more upgrades and no more unlimited data. It's either go to Tmo or live without unlimited data. To each their own. I'm perfectly OK with paying $450 for a G2 and keeping my unlimited data. It looks to me like the industry is shifting towards the $300-400 off contact phone price, so there may be no need for an "upgrade" in the future. I could worry about the circulating rumor that Verizon is going to take away all unlimited data, or I could just ride it out enjoying my freedom to stream as I please. It would be unprecedented for Verizon to sweep through and take away a feature from any remaining customers who have it, so I think this rumor is simply a rumor.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

devdeuce

Reaction score
If what you are saying is true, then it's not an edge plan, but it's also not a typical contract plan. Signing a data contract that "locks in" your data plan for 2 years is fundamentally different than any plan Verizon has offered to date. Every other Verizon contract is for calling only. Text, data, and others are simply features that are not guaranteed and can be removed or changed at any time for any reason by Verizon or the customer. Historically, Verizon hasn't gone the route of removing our changing people's features, so they are no more likely to do it with someone on contact than someone off contact. It sounds to me like you just bought yourself one more subsidy. But once it's time for a new device, you're stuck. No more upgrades and no more unlimited data. It's either go to Tmo or live without unlimited data. To each their own. I'm perfectly OK with paying $450 for a G2 and keeping my unlimited data. It looks to me like the industry is shifting towards the $300-400 off contact phone price, so there may be no need for an "upgrade" in the future. I could worry about the circulating rumor that Verizon is going to take away all unlimited data, or I could just ride it out enjoying my freedom to stream as I please. It would be unprecedented for Verizon to sweep through and take away a feature from any remaining customers who have it, so I think this rumor is simply a rumor.

It was offered as an incentive to get people off of unlimited data. My plan still has a minutes and text limit, if I changed to the maxx plan my minutes and text would stay the same and my data would go from unlimited to 6GB. I actually received an email with the offer a little over a month ago. I showed it to the Verizon worker and he tried to tell me it was for the edge plan even though the word "edge" appeared nowhere in the email. You are also forgetting that I talked to a best buy worker in the last couple days who knew exactly what I was talking about and said he could do it. He said my minutes and texts would stay the same, my data would go from unlimited to 6GB/mo and I could get a subsidized phone with a new two year contract.

there is no spoon

devdeuce

Reaction score
ForumRunner_20131110_103814.png

there is no spoon

Big Ry

Reaction score
It was offered as an incentive to get people off of unlimited data. My plan still has a minutes and text limit, if I changed to the maxx plan my minutes and text would stay the same and my data would go from unlimited to 6GB. I actually received an email with the offer a little over a month ago. I showed it to the Verizon worker and he tried to tell me it was for the edge plan even though the word "edge" appeared nowhere in the email. You are also forgetting that I talked to a best buy worker in the last couple days who knew exactly what I was talking about and said he could do it. He said my minutes and texts would stay the same, my data would go from unlimited to 6GB/mo and I could get a subsidized phone with a new two year contract.

there is no spoon

Ok then that settles it, so it is just a standard plan. No guarantee on data, but as stated, the data plan is highly unlikely to be changed by Verizon anyway.

This is what I was looking for in my initial post. Thanks for posting the ad.

dmdj232

Reaction score
So to make a VERY VERY VERY long story short, I called Verizon this morning to ask about this deal and I was told that I would be able to apply this discount/deal for the free LG G2. I told her that I wanted to go to the store before I said I def wanted the phone to make sure I like it. I even went as far as being very honest and reminding the rep that I am not eligible for an upgrade and she went through the process up to the point of right before checkout and I was told that it showed a $449.99 "discount" (32 minute phone call). I go to the store and they tell me they see the remarks that the rep made on my account saying that I spoke to her this morning and I would be making a trip to the store to make sure I like the phone. The store goes to apply the discount with this promo code and it will not let them process it. They too "noted" the account that I was at the store and was told it will work (15 minutes at the store so far). I then call customer service from the store and tell them what is happening and the bottom line is he told me that this promo code is not a current valid code. I explained in detail the convo I had with a Verizon rep less then an hr before and he could not give me an answer and told me because it is Sunday that there is no supervisor there to talk to (45 min phone call). I head back into the store and told them what Customer Service said and they couldn't give me an answer either (another 15 minute convo). So basically in the end I wasted 3 hours today because of being mislead and basically lied to on the phone from an uneducated Customer Service Rep. Has anyone else had any luck with using this promo code??

Thank You

dl1762

Reaction score
Just got this phone for free, so far great

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk