[Deal Alert] Lifetime License for Cerberus Security App for FREE; Today Only

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmm, having major wifi issues -- constant disconnects, which are new since adding the app -- hopefully it's due other ongoing problems (e.g., Latitude, Backitude, Google+ and Maps) and not Cerberus.

-Matt

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Got my copy

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So I downloaded this on my gs4 and got this in the email..

Please open Cerberus on your device and log in to access the app settings, you should not see the "Buy license" option anymore. This means that the lifetime license for your account is active.
OK, I DEFINITELY need new glasses. Read the welcome email again and of course I spotted the "lifetime" confirmation. I can now die a happy man, and I don't have kick anyone's butt.

I also think I've found a GPS/wifi bug -- will continue to investigate and report back if I learn anything.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Alright, I've reproduced the issue a few times. If anyone else can confirm, I'll post a bug report. Here's how I did it:

(1) On your device, start with wifi ON and GPS OFF.

(2) On another machine, log in to the Cerberus website/dashboard: https://www.cerberusapp.com/

(3) Under Command on the dashboard, select "Start tracking" and press the "Send Command" button.

What happens on my Droid 3 (Gingerbread...yeah, yeah, I know...Gingerbread...):

(1) The two GPS icons show up in the notification bar: bullseye icon (on the right) and "satellite dish" on the left

(2) Since GPS is off, the satellite icon shows up with an "x" on it

(3) About 10-15 seconds later, wifi turns off

(4) A few moments later, wifi turns back on, but the last connected router shows up as a "disabled" network (connect fails)

(5) The phone seems to cycle back and forth between trying GPS and restarting wifi

(6) It seems to fix itself a few minutes later, presumably when the "Start tracking" command fails (you can also send a "Stop tracking" command).

I might also note that I'm behind several layers of concrete ATM, which could be adding confusion to the GPS. I'm also running Backitude, which tries to steal location updates and might be adding to the problem (I notice each time that wifi turns on/off Backitude tunes in for a moment). Finally, I'm running a power-widget that automatically turns GPS OFF -- maybe Cerberus tries to turn it on and the power widget turns it off?

EDIT: Hmmm, this is odd. Tried the obvious trick of turning GPS on, and then selecting "Start tracking." Since I'm far from a window, GPS icon shows up like before (with an x -- OH GEE I just realized that the icon I'm describing is probably a notification from GPS Status that it's searching for signal. ARGH, sorry if I'm making this too complicated.)

-Matt

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Just saw this post on G+ ... went to the store, downloaded and activated in no time. The site still seems to be down, but I had no issues with activation nor the two emails that came thru saying "Your Cerberus license has been activated for free!"

Thanks for the post y'all! I too have SeekDroid, so I'm going to leave some time for comparison of which I like better.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Downloaded this for my brother!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Grabbed it. Maybe I'll try this over SeekDroid for my next device once the Nexus is retired.

Anomander

Reaction score
Missed this deal since I was sleeping during the day then busy at work during the night. my free trial is good for a week. I'll let it go and check it out, but most likely will just remove it at that point. I thought on my original droid I had an app already that I used, but can not remember what it was. Might be time to go back and look again.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Missed this deal since I was sleeping during the day then busy at work during the night. my free trial is good for a week. I'll let it go and check it out, but most likely will just remove it at that point. I thought on my original droid I had an app already that I used, but can not remember what it was. Might be time to go back and look again.

I installed the app yesterday but couldn't register due to "network issues" with their servers. Free Trial ends on 6/14...oh well.

valapsp

Reaction score
Exact same thing happens to me. Nexus 7. Emailed them already.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel