[Deal Alert] Best Buy & Amazon Have the VZW HTC One for $50 New or Renewed Contract

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
silver-htc-one-bb-vzw.png
blue-htc-one-bb-vzw.png

Here is a pretty spectacular deal on an amazing device. Both Amazon and Best Buy are now selling the Verizon version of the HTC One for only $49.99 on a new or existing upgraded contract. It's crazy to think that one of the best Android phones ever designed can be had for such a budget-level price. Just a few months ago, there wasn't a single smartphone out there which could touch it, and it still rates up there with some of the best of the newest devices.

Amazon's version is obviously only for the silver colored HTC One, but Best Buy's promotional price is for either the silver or the new blue hued version. Here are a couple of links below to check out these offers.

Amazon - Verizon HTC One for $49.99 On a new or renewed contract

Best Buy - Verizon HTC One for $49.99 On a new or renewed contract (blue version)
Best Buy - Verizon HTC One for $49.99 On a new or renewed contract (silver version)

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Smells like Verizon is subsidizing it heavily to get customers to drop unlimited data and of course lock them back into 2 year contracts. Could also smell doom for HTC too. They were banking heavily on the HTC One to deliver high sales and though they did sell well, not as well as they needed.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I want this phone, but not willing to give up unlimited data to get it (unsubsidized). Sigh. Oh well.

nickb34

Reaction score
Agreed. Lower the MSRP and I'll buy one outright.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Smells like Verizon is subsidizing it heavily to get customers to drop unlimited data and of course lock them back into 2 year contracts. Could also smell doom for HTC too. They were banking heavily on the HTC One to deliver high sales and though they did sell well, not as well as they needed.
Was at my friendly neighborhood corporate VZW store yesterday, checking out the LG G2 (which has a gorgeous screen but otherwise did not impress -- really didn't like the rear buttons). Anyway, the "Verizon guy" mentioned: "I just got a memo that Verizon is separating the Max plan from the Edge plan."

What that means -- if true -- is they are basically letting unlimited people "lock in" 6B at $30, without the obligation of also doing the Edge. Bottom line: I asked if that means I can move to Max and get upgraded phones at the subsidized/discounted price and he said "yes." I'll believe it when I see it, but for someone like me who rarely goes over 2GB in a month, that's a tempting offer. I also asked if/when it would be announced and he became very vague, i.e., "Just ask a manager for the deal and they'll give it to you."

Anyway, I think I'm not the only owner who'd jump at 6GB for $30 PLUS a return to subsidized phone prices.

-Matt

GreenAcid

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long this deal is going on for? I just bought a One from Verizon and paid 199. Grr

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it, but for someone like me who rarely goes over 2GB in a month, that's a tempting offer.
Anyway, I think I'm not the only owner who'd jump at 6GB for $30 PLUS a return to subsidized phone prices.

-Matt

Yes, I know I rarely go over 2 gigs either per month, but what if that one time I go to a Hotel, where 4G LTE is turned up, and I want to stream some Netflix to the TV in the room. Even with 6Gigs, my fear of going over my data allotment will haunt me, and I will not enjoy the movie/show. Waaa waaaa waaa.

or...

Maybe I should just suck it up and go for the 6gig plan and get MYNEWPHONE already.

Oh, and the LG G2 didn't impress you??? You have a Droid 3, and it didn't impress???? Man, I'm astounded, beleaguered, and petrified over your comments. :icon_eek:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes, I know I rarely go over 2 gigs either per month, but what if that one time I go to a Hotel, where 4G LTE is turned up, and I want to stream some Netflix to the TV in the room. Even with 6Gigs, my fear of going over my data allotment will haunt me, and I will not enjoy the movie/show. Waaa waaaa waaa.

or...

Maybe I should just suck it up and go for the 6gig plan and get MYNEWPHONE already.

Oh, and the LG G2 didn't impress you??? You have a Droid 3, and it didn't impress???? Man, I'm astounded, beleaguered, and petrified over your comments. :icon_eek:
I get your hotel example, good point. For me it's the occasional times broadband internet goes down at home, and the "waaa waaa waaa" is my family slowing dying from withdrawal symptoms. On those occasions I've happily tethered the whole house, but somehow we've barely managed to eat 3 or 4GB when the month is done.

One of the two things about the G2 that left me feeling cold was the newfangled buttons-on-back. Great idea, but it seems the volume buttons can't be reprogrammed much, other than in the camera (shutter vs. zoom). So the placement and functionality are somewhat limited. The other was the plasticky feel -- I guess with the One, the new Droids, and the X, I lean a little bit toward a nicer "feel in the hand." Anyway, I still remain on the market -- you're absolutely right, the fact that I use a D3 is tremendously sad. So "didn't impress me" kinda means "ranked well behind" the GS4, the One, the X, etc.

-Matt

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
What pains me is that when I went to look at the G2, to hold it and get a feel for it, the big bulky phone lock they put on these phones nowadays made it impossible for me to actually get a feel for it.
I like the HTC One, probably the best, but I can't stand that the home button is on the right. I need at least 3 buttons. The Galaxy S4 looks to be the best phone to beat, but so many people have it I almost feel like I'm following the crowd.

I'm still impressed by the HTC Droid DNA, even though it get's no love in the general public.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What pains me is that when I went to look at the G2, to hold it and get a feel for it, the big bulky phone lock they put on these phones nowadays made it impossible for me to actually get a feel for it.
I like the HTC One, probably the best, but I can't stand that the home button is on the right. I need at least 3 buttons. The Galaxy S4 looks to be the best phone to beat, but so many people have it I almost feel like I'm following the crowd.

I'm still impressed by the HTC Droid DNA, even though it get's no love in the general public.
Wow, I agree with every word of that. Spooky. The one thing I don't want to admit is I'm willing to wait for the announcement of the S5 (January?) and the release (April?). If it's a metal unibody (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/an...ion-end-2013-may-have-metal-chassis-time.html), I would HAPPILY wait for it.

-Matt

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Was at my friendly neighborhood corporate VZW store yesterday, checking out the LG G2 (which has a gorgeous screen but otherwise did not impress -- really didn't like the rear buttons). Anyway, the "Verizon guy" mentioned: "I just got a memo that Verizon is separating the Max plan from the Edge plan."

What that means -- if true -- is they are basically letting unlimited people "lock in" 6B at $30, without the obligation of also doing the Edge. Bottom line: I asked if that means I can move to Max and get upgraded phones at the subsidized/discounted price and he said "yes." I'll believe it when I see it, but for someone like me who rarely goes over 2GB in a month, that's a tempting offer. I also asked if/when it would be announced and he became very vague, i.e., "Just ask a manager for the deal and they'll give it to you."

-Matt

What he told you is correct. We received notice yesterday that we can offer customers the Max plan ONLY as a last resort to unlimited data customers.

todroid

Reaction score
What he told you is correct. We received notice yesterday that we can offer customers the Max plan ONLY as a last resort to unlimited data customers.

Very interesting. Do you mean Max plan without Edge? Or Max + Edge?
And What do you mean as a last resort? Would one have to hold up the corporate store with everyone as hostage until they reluctantly agree to offer it?

Genuinely interested in Max sans Edge.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Here is the title of an engadget article:
Verizon Max plan goes live to entice unlimited data users to join Edge

and the verge:
Verizon's new 'Max' data plans are dirt cheap, only available to Edge upgrade customers

Since I've never even hit 1GB with either my Droid or my Inc2, I don't think I will have any trouble staying under 2GB. I'm going to try only using data and not wifi (except at home) for the first week to see how much I might use. I got the blue One at BB yesterday for a total of $3.99 after sales tax. I signed up for the limited time promotion at BB back in February that gave me a $50 rebate on any smartphone with a 2 year contract extension. It was good for the remainder of 2013. Love the HTC One so far, although it looks like the battery life will be noticibly less than the Inc2 with the extended battery.

Last edited:

todroid

Reaction score
Here is the title of an engadget article:
Verizon Max plan goes live to entice unlimited data users to join Edge

and the verge:
Verizon's new 'Max' data plans are dirt cheap, only available to Edge upgrade customers

Yeah, that's old news, but the Max without the Edge mentioned in posts 5 and 11 would be something entirely different. And tempting.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I wish I had known that yesterday when I got my HTC One. However, it looks like I would have to buy it at the Verizon store instead of BB to get the Max plan. I also wonder what is meant by last resort. It probably doesn't matter, as I doubt I'll reach 2GB in a month, but it would be nice to have the option to have the extra just in case.