Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
tmp2.jpg
Let's face it. Accidents happen. Things get stolen.

If you're carrying your beloved device around without protection, these things may be a life-altering occurrence.

Months ago, my wife talked me in to upgrading her to a Galaxy S7. While we were in the store getting the phone, they offered us insurance. Being the techno-nerd that I am, I declined and explained to my wife that we'd just get coverage from SquareTrade.

Time went by and that plan slipped our minds.

SquareTrade is available within the first 30 days of owning the device, or if it's currently insured by your carrier. We missed the deadline.

Now, Verizon is offering open enrollment in their device protection plans. They offer a few different "tiers" of protection, but the highlights of Total Mobile Protection are listed in the quote below.
Total Mobile Protection¹ includes:
Next-day device replacements
With TMP, get reconnected as soon as the next day and save up to hundreds of dollars on a replacement if something happens to your device, like:
  • Loss or theft
  • Water damage
  • Physical damage
  • Cracked screen
  • Out-of-warranty malfunction
Hurry though! According to the sign up page, today, 9/15/16 is the last day to sign up!

If you'd like to see if you're eligible and/or take advantage of this offer, here's the link: Verizon Wireless Open Enrollment

What do you think? Is the Verizon coverage worth it? Do you use SquareTrade or another service instead? Share your take in the thread below!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Worth it if you drop or lose your phone in the first 6 months. After that you can buy the device for as much as you've paid for the insurance.

$200 to replace the device
$11 a month.

access to smart support
That made me laugh. What an oxymoron.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Worth it if you drop or lose your phone in the first 6 months. After that you can buy the device for as much as you've paid for the insurance.

$200 to replace the device
$11 a month.

That made me laugh. What an oxymoron.
Yeah. That's where all insurance gets me. You end up paying so much in monthly installments that it quickly becomes cheaper to just pay for whatever repair/bills/etc. would've come up anyway. Only issue is, can you afford to replace it right away? You'd have to set your $11/mo aside for quite a while to be able to buy a new $500-700+ phone.

We went for the kind of middle tier without access to the Device Coach or whatever...for obvious reasons.

It's $9/mo for each phone. Her S7 and my Moto Z each have a $149 deductible. It'd still hurt a bit to have to shell that out, but better than having to finish paying off the phone (hers) and also buy a new one.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The big problem with self-insuring, is that most people never actually do it. Putting money away monthly on the off chance that you'll need it to replace that damaged phone seems like the accident that's never going to happen and a waste of time. It's too easy to reallocate those funds towards other, perhaps more pressing needs. Of course once that phone does fall and shatter, you look back and say, Shoulda Coulda.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The big problem with self-insuring, is that most people never actually do it. Putting money away monthly on the off chance that you'll need it to replace that damaged phone seems like the accident that's never going to happen and a waste of time. It's too easy to reallocate those funds towards other, perhaps more pressing needs. Of course once that phone does fall and shatter, you look back and say, Shoulda Coulda.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Or you just expect to use your old phone until you can get the funds.

I'm fortunate enough to buy them outright without any concerns but my Maxx still works. If I smash this one, I can go back to vzw get a sim card and I'm up and running.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. I guess. I keep backup devices, but would have to wait quite a while to be able to afford a new phone again. I'd rather have the piece of mind knowing that I can get a replacement of my current device for $150 than have to use an "out-dated" device for months while saving up to buy another phone for hundreds more.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've had phones for over 20 years, not once have I lost it or it was stolen. Come to think of it, I've never had a phone break on me.
Knock on some wood, buddy. I used to say the same.

Sent from my Moto Z