dead screen

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mcchub, Aug 25, 2010.

1. mcchub

mcchub New Member

so my screen on my droid 1 died for no reason today and i am wondering if i take it into a verizon store to get it replaced will they be able to tell it's rooted without being able to see anything on my screen?
  2. Eschy

Eschy New Member

sbf back to stock. You can still access the bootloader. Just hold up on the dpad and power at the same time when booting. Hold for about 5 secs just to be sure. Plug in to the computer and your phone should come up in rsd lite. (Use this if you are not sure what im talking about) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html download rsd, get the drivers for your droid. And use box option 5. Done, bring it in and get a new phone or screen. There are easier methods but since you are limited by your screen being broken this is your best bet.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Yes, they will be able to tell and they will void your warranty. The above post is exactly what you need to do. There are a lot of good threads about RSD Lite in case you get confused.

Good luck.
  4. gavron

gavron New Member

PLEASE provide ANY verification for the "void your warranty" myth.

Ehud
  5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

6. mcchub

mcchub New Member

i can only got back to 2.0.1? and once i flash it is there a way i can tell i am back to stock before i take it in just to be safe?
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  7. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Check your settings to see what the firmware says. Remove the Super User Permissions and you should be fine.

Mike
  8. MotoCache1

MotoCache1 Chief Droid Scientist

I read a blurb about some Verizon employees getting recognized for "catching" rooted phones in warranty returns. Who knows if it was legit. Why chance it? Why not SBF it back to stock before taking it back for warranty? Now I will say that if you think your flashing/hacking is what toasted the screen somehow, then it would be dishonest to do that, but I'm not sure if I can come up with a way that would be possible.

You can get SBF's for all the major releases on Pete's page. Since they are presently pushing FRG01B, even if your phone was born with something else, installing FRG01B would probably be the safe bet. If you put on a full-flash SBF, you're back to stock for sure.
  9. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Rooting your droid is legal, but everyone thinks it voids the warranty. This includes the Verizon techs and reps 99.99% of us would have to deal with. Why risk getting one of those when you take the phone in? If the phone needs repair, do a quick software swap and take it back, save yourself the risk of being refused and either having to pay $600 for a replacement or hire a lawyer to fight (and probably lose) a legal battle. If it were me, I know which option I'd choose... :)
  10. mcchub

mcchub New Member

so i went to petes page and downloaded the frg01b* is that the right file? or do i need the odexed or deodexed?
  11. furbearingmammal

12. mcchub

mcchub New Member

that is the one i downloaded thank you guys so much
  13. mcchub

mcchub New Member

new phone is on it's way thanks again everyone
  14. furbearingmammal

Happy to help! :)
  15. mcchub

mcchub New Member

they gave me a droid2 to replace my droid
  16. furbearingmammal

You lucky so-and-so...
    :icon_cussing:
  17. Cdjones187

Cdjones187 New Member

There was a thread a while back stating verizon is activly looking for rooted phones because it does void the warranty and from there they can refuse service, eventually "saving" them money. ^^ THIS might be a myth, but rooting your phone does void the warranty. Ive heard jailbreaking or unlocking your phone is illegal, and im sure verizon considers rooting to be along those same lines. Anything to help big red keep a little change here and there.

I bought a invisible shield for my droid the day I got it, unknowing all the mixed reviews i decided to take back the 35 dollar piece of plastic. The vzw employee that helped me also had a droid. I had him exchange it with a bodyglove and when he was puting the case on my phone he saw "Simply Stunning v4.5" in the carrier text. He then tells me hes been thinking about rooting so he could install custom roms but was afriad he might mess up his phone. Never seen someone so excited to play with a phone, well besides me when I rooted and installed my first rom (LOL)..

SO if it comes time for a warranty exchange definitely do the RSD procedure explained in post #2.

OR claim through insurance, the company i go through will replace my phone 3 times a year with no deductible and no questions asked (almost, dont claim it stolen) for around 80 a year. If you do this you might as well have a little fun with your friends and figure out how to destroy your phone before sending it back =] Im not saying I have or you should do this, its insurance fraud and I dont think you DROID is worth jail time, is it? ;]
  18. furbearingmammal

A recent court ruling declares Rooting/Jailbreaking to be covered by the DCMA, but that doesn't mean the carriers/manufacturers have to allow warranty coverage if you do.
  19. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

It's a very good idea to flash back to stock before sending in for a warranty repair - If for nothing else, you eliminate the possibility that it's the non-standard software CAUSING the apparent hardware issues. That's kind of the first step in diagnosing a problem like that anyway - bring it back to a "known state" and see if it still occurs.

(obviously a dead screen is hardware - but using some ROMs you can lower the screen brightness so low that you can't see it, which would seem just like a broken screen)
Search tags for this page
5.wait to see dead droid on screen
aaaaaandroiud dead screen
andriod acess dead screen
android x screen dead

dead droid on screen

dead robot on droid screen
droid 4 dead screen

droid dead screen

droid robot dead
droid screen dead
motorola droid dead screen