DCIM thumbnail questions

Lat2392

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Htc inspire
I recently discovered nude pics of other females in my husbands dcim thumbnail folder. My question is did these pictures originate from his camera, is the created and modified date correct in the properties, and how can I get to the bottom of where these pics came from. There is one particular photo that I need to find out about. Asking him didn't help, he played dumb. I need all the advice possible about the dcim thumbnail folder. Thanks!

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
If I'm not mistaken, the timestamp only says when the pictures were saved or put on the phone. The thumbnails don't usually have metadata like the actual photos could. Even then, one would have to enable the options to show location data.

Edit: Also, thumbnails don't say were the pictures were saved at 1st on the phone. Looking through my thumbnails, I can't tell if they were downloaded, screen shots or camera pictures

Tapped from a Moto X

OP
L

Lat2392

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Htc inspire
So if I found a thumbnail and the create date in the property settings says May 12, 2014. Does that mean that the photo was somehow accessed on that date? But I also found some other pics that had duplicates with different dates on them. So were those pics looked at/ deleted on those dates. At a loss here. Need all the advice I can get. Thanks

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
So if I found a thumbnail and the create date in the property settings says May 12, 2014. Does that mean that the photo was somehow accessed on that date?
Maybe not so much accessed, maybe more it was saved to the SD on that date.

But I also found some other pics that had duplicates with different dates on them. So were those pics looked at/ deleted on those dates. At a loss here. Need all the advice I can get. Thanks
Sounds to me like they were deleted then somehow put back on the SD. Either with the camera or downloaded from the Web or text message. Btw, you can use Google to search for images. That may show you if they were downloaded or available on the Web.

Tapped from a Moto X

OP
L

Lat2392

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Htc inspire
Would those images been in the phone on those dates? A lot of them he said were before we even met. But when I'm seeing dates marked May 2014 and September 2013 it makes me wonder how in the world they got there??? This is frustrating bc I just need to know how/when/why they were in this dcim folder???

P

promo87

I recently discovered nude pics of other females in my husbands dcim thumbnail folder. My question is did these pictures originate from his camera, is the created and modified date correct in the properties, and how can I get to the bottom of where these pics came from. There is one particular photo that I need to find out about. Asking him didn't help, he played dumb. I need all the advice possible about the dcim thumbnail folder. Thanks!

Well, I would say if those pictures are over the DICM folder then the image is originated from his camera anyway I would say try going over the DICM folder and see the naming pattern of the image what I mean to say here is every device named the image clicked in his own pattern like my device stores the image with the name "IMAGE001, IMAGE002...... and so on" if you spot that the pattern seems to be matching than I guess your doubt would be correct ... :( that picture is originated from your husband device. :eek:

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Thumbnails in the DCIM folder contain more than just photos taken with the phone.

If I am not mistaken, any picture that you have viewed in your Gallery or gallery app will be in there.

So, say you husband was downloading adult material on his phone and looking at it, then a thumbnail would be in that folder.

Reactions: CJM
OP
L

Lat2392

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Htc inspire
Yea there is no pattern. There is pictures in there that I have sent him as well. Still frustrating bc I want to know exactly where it came from and the date. There doesn't appear to be any images that he downloaded from the internet. It seems to be stuff that he took and pics he recvd. And another question why are there so many duplicate pictures in all different sizes???

P

promo87

Yea there is no pattern. There is pictures in there that I have sent him as well. Still frustrating bc I want to know exactly where it came from and the date. There doesn't appear to be any images that he downloaded from the internet. It seems to be stuff that he took and pics he recvd. And another question why are there so many duplicate pictures in all different sizes???

Well, if there's no pattern then I don't think there is any need of getting angry now ! I would say he must be watching ..... and that picture is something which he likes the most and has edited it in different sizes. We usually do the same with the pictures we like most !