1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

DC Memory Issues

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by raptorspike, Jul 3, 2011.

1. raptorspike

raptorspike New Member

OK, so I've been running LauncherPro now for about three weeks. I've noticed two things (not sure if the first is related to LP) since.
    First, I regularly have less than 100mb RAM free, even after killing everything non-crucial. I'll find apps when I go to ATK Or TaskKiller Pro that I haven't even started up.
    Second, I have to sit and wait for my homescreens and app drawer to render after closing apps on a semi-regular basis..

Any tips as to how to fix these would be great.
  2. Down2Earth

Down2Earth New Member

(1) STOP using ANY task killer you've downloaded from the market ASAP.
    -Despite what you were told: Android needs not a task killer...

(2) Whether I use Launcher Pro Plus, or Touch Wiz I don't get any issues with memory. I also don't run task killers.

(3) If you're having redraw issues how do you close apps?

-Home button? Or
    -back button?

It's also impossible troubleshoot your problems with such vague information
    on how you're running your Charge.

In the future I'd suggest stating:
    -OS version and software version (ED1, 2 EE4, etc...
    -How you have memory related settings configured
    -Launcher Pro settings?

Stuff like that would help you better.
  3. raptorspike

raptorspike New Member

1) Do you mean it never needed one or doesn't need one anymore?

2) When closing apps, I'd say 9/10 times I use the home button.

As for the phone
    OS 2.2.1 EE4

Which memory settings or launcherpro settings are you in need of for diagnosing this?
  4. morrisz

morrisz New Member

What is the difference?
  5. morrisz

morrisz New Member

I am encountering the same slow redraw issues. Four times now in four days of owning the Charge. Sound like I have a similar setup to the original poster, using the most popular to date official operating system.

I had this issue 100% of the time with my original Motorola Droid. I put it down to low Ram and hoped the Charge would not be the same.

Whenever it occurs on the Charge I look how much Ram is I use and it has so far always been around 284.

I've decided to return the Charge. If it's like this now, it's got to be really bad in 6 months and later.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  6. morrisz

morrisz New Member

More info about my setup for anyone interested: Firmware 2.2.1 Launcher Pro in use, with default memory settings Internal storage used: 255Mb
  7. titanfan1017

titanfan1017 New Member

ve had my charge snce last wednesday. the only issue ive had is when in 4g it didnt want to do anything network related, the guy said take the sim card n sd cards out wat a minute or 2 then re install n reboot. i did this and no problems since. i can even talk on phone while using mobile hotspot to connect my laptop. n sooooooo fast, im very happy. my available storage is 880mb n 29.60gb on sd. how do i see ram on a stock set-up?
  8. morrisz

morrisz New Member

Hold down the home button and touch the Task Manager button. The Task Manager has a RAM tab.
  9. showell81

showell81 New Member

misc

Couple things, from my understanding on this:
    Programs are meant to be shut down by using either the option in the menu or by using the back button. The home button is used for multitasking, so your phone will attempt to keep it open, large apps will often cause the redraw issues (from my understanding, I might not be quite right). I also know that having them on the SD card is an issue here, not sure if or how related.

Forget about available RAM, it's irrelevant. It's meant to be used, Android will not sit with massive amounts of RAM going unused. All the programs update and use notifications, etc. they have to check in occasionally.

In terms of task killers - just don't use them to close all apps, that isn't saving you anything - check your battery use, it's primarily because of the screen being on, not because it's processing in the background, you just make more work as now Android has to open up the apps again.

Happy owner of a Droid Charge - although, I will have jealousy of the droid bionic owners. Dual-Core...
  10. morrisz

morrisz New Member

I hadn't heard this before and wanted to jump on it as a solution to my long suffering redraw issues.

I have always used the home button to exit an app. So I decided to try the back button instead and thought I would report back on my experience.

Well, first I see that in some apps the back button takes you back through various screens before it exits. Not too convenient, which leads me to believe it's not the android intended exit method.

Then after a few times of doing this I had the same redraw delay on the home screen as always.

My own personal conclusion? Doesn't make any difference, very unfortunately. I really wanted it to work.

Other than this one issue I absolutely love the Charge! But it has to go back because of it. I'll hold out for something with more RAM, hoping that is the solution.