dazr wont mount to pc

eodguy2

Reaction score
Picked up fri night, went to transfer some stuff and hooked in with usb. Normally on other droids (the org, and x) get the mount
notification etc. With razr nothing! Pc not even seeing it hooked in, but phone showing
thats its charging. ???????? Love the phone though

jlloydf13

Reaction score
Yep- Same Issue

Phone won't recognize its plugged into CPU...doesn't show USB icon in upper left anymore to transfer files. It worked the first couple times plugged in though!

Now it just heats up, doesn't even charge via USB to cpu.

snosamie6

Reaction score
Are you using the USB cable that came with it? I first tried to use one that I had purchased from Verizon (not Moto-branded) and it wouldn't work. Also, when you plug in and select the USB debugging mode, if you select charging that is the only time it can properly load the drivers.

If any of that doesn't help, I would find the drivers on your computer and delete them and try it again.

jlloydf13

Reaction score
Fixed it...painfully

I am pretty certain it is NOT the cables. I got mine fixed by reformatting my phone. :):frown:

Why not the cable:
1- Cables are just wires- strictly a physical connection? Could probably McGyver a fan cord to work.
2- the cables (both) worked initially, then quit working.
3- I have only used Verizon branded cables, including the one that came with phone. To say the one that comes with phone is better fit, would assume that Verizon pays attn when packaging to only include one type of cord vs another identical cord. SERIOUSLY doubt Verizon pays attn to that in kitting. They are both labeled identically.
4- After reformatting my phone, it now works with the same cables that wouldn't work before.

I'm not sure what might have broke my phone, but i have a few guesses, as i have not done anything complicated (for example Rooting)...these 3 things are the most Techy mods i made.
1- Smart Actions- I tried to get clever with different battery levels turning off various items. I may have activiated something that turned off (??dunno what???) when batter got low...same something may have turned it to PC only mode? like the opposite of charge mode? dunno- just listing Smart actions as one of the things i altered.
2- Apps- one of the first things i did was open the list of running apps draining my battery...immediate shock over all the CRAP running, so i tried to uninstall the ones that i hadn't seen on my old MotoDroid (weren't on the last one so shouldn't need them here right??? ha!). SOme of these programs weren't removable, so i Force Stopped them as that was the closest option. I did get an alert that said Forcing these to stop "May cause certain apps to behave poorly." ignored it and closed them anyway. Could very possibly have closed a driver that triggered the start of program necessary to recognze USB? Seems wierd/unlikely though as I had done that, THEN used USB which worked for a while...didn't kill any more apps before USB then started to not be recognized.
3- Motocast- I was trying to sync up Motocast when this all went wrong. Cable was working fine/visible, plugged into motocast and POOF! WOuldn't work. I dunno what might have happened here, but to me Motocast is flakey app and it was the only process i was in the middle of, so seems to have a correlation. Had lots of errors trying to connect it, can't delete the music, it just greys them out so you can't USE the stuff it kind of sees, and most importantly, can't use music that hasn't been downloaded direct to phone. I don't BUY a lot of music, but like to have enuff on my phone to get thru a flight....which is also where i couldn't use Motocast. I suspect something happened in my Motocast process- could have required an app i force closed, so a combination of 2 and 3 here???

After reformatting my phone to factory settings, USB is recognized fine...so pretty certain its a phone/software issue, not something HW'ish like cables. i have now set a few of the Suggested Smart Actions for battery life, will not be Force STopping any apps, and copied 5Gb of music directly to phone just like I would copy an old MS Office file. So far everything is working well.

snosamie6

Reaction score
It happened with my OG after an upgrade that you couldn't charge it without moto cables. All I know is that I used a Verizon cable and it couldn't be read by my computer for longer than a few seconds.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
It happened with my OG after an upgrade that you couldn't charge it without moto cables. All I know is that I used a Verizon cable and it couldn't be read by my computer for longer than a few seconds.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Manufacturer of cables don't matter usb is usb. There are 4 wires 1 high voltage, 1 low voltage, and 2 data cables. Either you have a weak or broken wire or loose connector. No magic.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jlloydf13

Reaction score
right. So it seems the cord is a coincidence becuase it worked for a few seconds? If you plugged it in and was recognized a few secs, the cord workd...no process in teh cable that would work at first then break down. Very unlikely that a process in phone started one program that said "reference something in cable to start next program"...found an incompatible cord/missing piece and quit working. I guess anything is possible though...

More likely that the cord did it's job in connnecting, one App/driver tried to start a 2nd app that had been quit or wasn't there.

Good thing we have these forums to trouble shoot for the providers. ;)

pRAZR

Reaction score
I was having same problem with my Razr. I was only getting partial charges on my battery and no matter what i did my phone and computer would not recognize and sync over USB (which I need to download Rhapsody music onto my sd card). Read this thread and realized I wasn't I wasn't using the USB that came in the Razr box (I was using that one in the car with a verizon car-charger with USB slot, and out there my phone was charging fully). So, brought that cable in and it instantly synced my phone and computer. Relief. Wow. I really didn't think it could be such a big deal. Love the phone even more now... might not even return it for the GNEX!

OP
E

eodguy2

Reaction score
Well, so it must be something with the cable that got sent with Razr. I tried down loading usb drivers etc from motorola and using cables from VZ still nothing. SOOOO when I actually used the cable that came with the Razr (had in bag for spare, because use the 9 ft cord that I have had/used with Droid X) boom, get the notification message when connected to PC and yep there it is. Just amazes me that that is only cord that will connect with. oh well. life is too short to worry about that. Good thing I dont have to connect to pc all the time :)

jlloydf13

Reaction score
Someone else in similar thread had resolved it by just powering off:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-razr-will-not-charge-via-computer-usb-2.html
solved
I was having the same issue. Has nothing to do with the cable type you're using (i mean, besides it being a micro usb cable, obv).

Connected my droid razr to my comp and it wasn't responding. All you need to do is restart your phone. You do this by holding the power button and the down volume button at the same time for 10 seconds. Once it restarted, it's been connecting to my comp no problem. Charging and accessible.

Thanks
Me​

weezy1121

Reaction score
Just a cable

1- Cables are just wires- strictly a physical connection? Could probably McGyver a fan cord to work.
You say Cables are just wires, but honestly I tried to use the cable for my Droid X and all it will do is charge my razr on my computer, It will SYNC and Charge my Droid X on my computer but with my RAZR it will only charge, there's something about the cable cuz I have to use the one that came with my RAZR or I can't SYNC. I dont know what it is but theres something different about them.

I am pretty certain it is NOT the cables. I got mine fixed by reformatting my phone. :):frown:

Why not the cable:
2- the cables (both) worked initially, then quit working.
3- I have only used Verizon branded cables, including the one that came with phone. To say the one that comes with phone is better fit, would assume that Verizon pays attn when packaging to only include one type of cord vs another identical cord. SERIOUSLY doubt Verizon pays attn to that in kitting. They are both labeled identically.
4- After reformatting my phone, it now works with the same cables that wouldn't work before.

I'm not sure what might have broke my phone, but i have a few guesses, as i have not done anything complicated (for example Rooting)...these 3 things are the most Techy mods i made.
1- Smart Actions- I tried to get clever with different battery levels turning off various items. I may have activiated something that turned off (??dunno what???) when batter got low...same something may have turned it to PC only mode? like the opposite of charge mode? dunno- just listing Smart actions as one of the things i altered.
2- Apps- one of the first things i did was open the list of running apps draining my battery...immediate shock over all the CRAP running, so i tried to uninstall the ones that i hadn't seen on my old MotoDroid (weren't on the last one so shouldn't need them here right??? ha!). SOme of these programs weren't removable, so i Force Stopped them as that was the closest option. I did get an alert that said Forcing these to stop "May cause certain apps to behave poorly." ignored it and closed them anyway. Could very possibly have closed a driver that triggered the start of program necessary to recognze USB? Seems wierd/unlikely though as I had done that, THEN used USB which worked for a while...didn't kill any more apps before USB then started to not be recognized.
3- Motocast- I was trying to sync up Motocast when this all went wrong. Cable was working fine/visible, plugged into motocast and POOF! WOuldn't work. I dunno what might have happened here, but to me Motocast is flakey app and it was the only process i was in the middle of, so seems to have a correlation. Had lots of errors trying to connect it, can't delete the music, it just greys them out so you can't USE the stuff it kind of sees, and most importantly, can't use music that hasn't been downloaded direct to phone. I don't BUY a lot of music, but like to have enuff on my phone to get thru a flight....which is also where i couldn't use Motocast. I suspect something happened in my Motocast process- could have required an app i force closed, so a combination of 2 and 3 here???

After reformatting my phone to factory settings, USB is recognized fine...so pretty certain its a phone/software issue, not something HW'ish like cables. i have now set a few of the Suggested Smart Actions for battery life, will not be Force STopping any apps, and copied 5Gb of music directly to phone just like I would copy an old MS Office file. So far everything is working well.