Daydream 6P

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

There are several reasons to pick up a Pixel/XL, whether it be for the smooth and latest android experience, the awesome battery life, or for Daydream. But if you are in the market for a phone this (Pixel) is a device to consider. But if you are one who don't have a Pixel, are holding off for the price to drop, or have no intentions of buying one but you still want to experience daydream then you may be in luck.

To note my Nexus 6P is on the latest android software 7.1.1.

Prerequisites:
  • Have a Daydream ready device
  • Have the Daydream app and keyboard installed (you may have to sideload those apps if you do not have a pixel.
  • Have a Daydream headset

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
By the way it does work with Google Play Movies, in fact it was awesome. Even if I forgot to remove the blue plastic stickers from the headset lens.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OK I am now convinced that VR is the way of the future. I was watching a movie (BvS extended queued up to the fight between Batman and Superman and the warehouse scene and I was amazed. In fact even though I understand Google trying to push the Pixel with the VR headset as a package to sell phone they really ought to push it to public, especially those with a Nexus 6P. Because they can make money and open up the development on the experience as a whole.

True they have cardboard but again they are missing on a market they can capitalize on for Christmas.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here are the apps you are going to have to sideload:

So far the only issues I ran into was having to position the straps so it straddles the volume button, phone getting hot (but that is not really an issue just be mindful you are going to burn some battery using the feature, and the headset wanting to fall off and needing to be readjusted from time to time. Other than that I'm cool with it.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will continue to update the post above when i come upon new apps to sideload.

Oh and remember your panoramic pictures you took years back?

Check it out on Google Photos VR

Reaction score
I have a cheapo VR headset with a bluetooth controller coming in the mail today. Have you tried the streetview app within Daydream yet? I'm really hoping it's as awesome as I think it'll be. I'd like to be able to float down the streets and look around.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I have the VZW Star Wars Cardboard. Wonder if this will work with the YouTube and Netflix. I want a Player like VLC so i can watch Any Videos i have

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I installed Netflix VR but doesnt give me an option to sign in. i dont have the little dot to select and use the button on top. is Keyboard and Daydream Required?

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think netflix VR is for daydream.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if that works let us know and we'll make a write up for the forum.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I got that working but its more trouble than its worth. Having to Stream from my PC loses the Freedom that the DayDream View Offers. I want to be able to only rely on my Device for the VR Content. It took some tweaking to get it to work but not sure many will find it useful. Thank you for Posting the info. I was worth a shot.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I got that working but its more trouble than its worth. Having to Stream from my PC loses the Freedom that the DayDream View Offers. I want to be able to only rely on my Device for the VR Content. It took some tweaking to get it to work but not sure many will find it useful. Thank you for Posting the info. I was worth a shot.

Thanks for the update.

It looks like Google is treating cardboard like they are the nexus in they are trying to move from that to the next phone looking to put all of their new resources for the future "vision".

Now considering HTC Vive, Playstation VR and Oculus Rift are going for $500 plus, $79 (Daydream VR) - $99 (Galaxy Gear VR) is not a bad price point to get a taste of VR, if you have the phones that support it.

The biggest challenge right now for VR technology is going to be development and who can build up their portfolio with enough apps to grab the market. Also it is going to have to be at a price that people can afford to try.

I am curious to see how VR develops over next year.

Will Apple adopt it (Apple VR/AR | AppleInsider) or wait a little longer for others to work out the issues?

Will companies like LG, Motorola, Huawei, and HTC support Google to build up their apps for daydream to help them quickly be able to adopt VR for their future devices (Moto Z/Moto Z Force is already able to use Daydream VR)?

How will they handle keeping the devices cool (something that can be more of an issue with glass backed phones getting hot to where people drop it taking it out the headset)?

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I tried Daydream on my cheapo VR headset last night.

Tip 1)Do not buy a cheapo VR headset if you're planning on using Daydream.

First off the controller it came with absolutely did not work no matter what I tried. It was really frustrating. Then I was able to use an old phone as a controller emulator, but my old phone's digitizer is all out of wack. So this made things tougher.

Finally I was using VR and I have to say that it was pretty cool. I had fun looking at some photosphere photos I took and Google Streetview was great.

Unfortunately when I was done with my phone and took it out of the headset it had gotten so hot. I wonder if I would have messed something up if I kept it in longer.

Now I really want a Daydream headset, but I really don't want to spend $70 and break my phone from the heat generated.