Day one buy?

CaptM

Reaction score
What I think is the funniest is the people who say that they can no longer wait for the Bionic because they're so mad at Moto and VZW, but if some other phone is comining out shortly that we know nothing about or when the release date may be (SGSII, Vigor, Dinara as just a few examples), I'LL WAIT FOR THAT ONE. That just makes no sense what-so-ever. :icon_eek:

anuraj1

Reaction score
Depending on the specs, I might go for Bionic on day 1, switch with the Stratosphere in 2 weeks, and replace with the Vigor to see what it is like. And then most likely go back to the Bionic because the Vigor will be a tablet hahaha.

It'll cost a 100 bucks, but at least I'll have the satisfaction in my mind of being sure I did the right thing.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.... Once I get a phone I get settled and wouldn't want to return it unless something was really wrong with it. But to each his own I guess.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Without root, it is going to take more than 14 days to set up all my apps, etc anyway. If I can get the info I need from forums then great, but if I need to do it this way I'm fine with it. My D1 has been great to me, and if I'm going to stick with another device for 2 years then it needs to be the right device.

thedead04

Reaction score
Depending on the specs, I might go for Bionic on day 1, switch with the Stratosphere in 2 weeks, and replace with the Vigor to see what it is like. And then most likely go back to the Bionic because the Vigor will be a tablet hahaha.

It'll cost a 100 bucks, but at least I'll have the satisfaction in my mind of being sure I did the right thing.

Assuming that the leaked doc is correct (which I know I shouldn't be doing), the Vigor will be replacing the Thunderbolt. Last I checked the Thunderbolt wasn't a tablet, so I doubt the Vigor will be.

anuraj1

Reaction score

Assuming that the leaked doc is correct (which I know I shouldn't be doing), the Vigor will be replacing the Thunderbolt. Last I checked the Thunderbolt wasn't a tablet, so I doubt the Vigor will be.

I agree with you on that, but I'd just be surprised that HTC would release a phone with that crazy resolution when they couldn't even keep decent battery life on the Thunderbolt. If they have fixed those problems then I will be pleasantly surprised though.

thedead04

Reaction score

I agree with you on that, but I'd just be surprised that HTC would release a phone with that crazy resolution when they couldn't even keep decent battery life on the Thunderbolt. If they have fixed those problems then I will be pleasantly surprised though.

I definitely hear you there, but I'm sure since the bootloader will be unlocked there will be all sorts of ways we can squeeze more battery life outa the thing. Plus you figure it has to be somewhat better than the t-bolt, right? Plus, I'm never far from a charger so battery life is not the most important factor. I'll place screen over battery life any day.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
What I think is the funniest is the people who say that they can no longer wait for the Bionic because they're so mad at Moto and VZW, but if some other phone is comining out shortly that we know nothing about or when the release date may be (SGSII, Vigor, Dinara as just a few examples), I'LL WAIT FOR THAT ONE. That just makes no sense what-so-ever. :icon_eek:

I kinda understand that thinking tho. Waited this long, whats a few more months? I was in that boat until I learned Moto developed their own LTE chip. That threw me back into the Bionic only boat, depending on how reviews and real world use turns out.

Then I thought Sept...I just get a phone then, by this time next year if I want another phone...I will have plenty to choose from. And some that came out in Sept and the rest of 2011 should be a lil cheaper in 2012. Win-win IMO. But Sept is it for me. I already backed out on Aug..I dont plan on doing it anymore.

I think in this instance...or any time there is a rumored phone coming in "a few months" we have to stick to specific wants, needs and go from there. If not you wind up chasing the latest n greatest forever.

Its also funny the hate over the Bionic coming out this late..but if it woulda came in May or June, it probably wouldnt have been as good as it might be now. HTC gets a pass for the Thunderbolt? And its not even dual core? Amazing...

The big wild card is the Bionic not having any major issues. (notice the emphasis on major...) If it doesnt, Moto will look like winners in my book, specs be damned. If it does....they shoulda just gave us the phone in May...

dlo-htown

Reaction score

Doesn't matter if it makes sense to you. But if it's dollars lost that Moto could have made on the Bionic, then they will get the point whether you do or not. :)

Based on the other LTE phones out right now, they probably could have released the Bionic when it was still the etna and still been ahead of the pack, if just barely. But they screwed the pooch by denying all the folks thinking they'd have a Moto LTE phone in their hands during the actual summer, and not just in time for back to school.

The fact is, people use their wallets to make a statement, and manufacturers are wise to listen if they truly want the dollars in those wallets.

PR-wise, Motorola would probably have been better off just renaming the Bionic and calling it something new, but now it appears to me that the only reason they are continuing to put money into the Bionic is that they must save face and not appear to be unable to complete a project, especially one that received as much hype as the Bionic did.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^ Kinda disagree on the hype part, kinda agree on the PR part. The hype was generated by us, honestly. The Atrix had waaay more hype from Motorola and the media, websites. The Bionic was an after thought after the Atrix came out, before and after the enhancements delay notice from Motorola.

The PR part..even if they woulda named it something different....there are the folks that call it outdated...lol

I wonder if part of it is marketing material already done up from earlier this year?

And how come there are STILL no Droid commercials for the DX2 and D3? I expect a big Droid marketing blitz after the Bionic comes out.

Last edited:

les017

Reaction score
I thought I was being the patient and smart one when the LTE phones were announced choosing to wait for the Bionic, but that really turned out to be an awful decision, I could have been enjoying a Thunderbolt all summer.

It just goes to show, ya never know. I have 3 close friends who have Thunderbolt and "enjoying" might be a strong word. I'll speak for them when I say it would be more accurate if you replaced the word "enjoying" with "saving up to buy something else at full retail, cuz this thing is killing me"...

Vito.a

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt reputation makes me very cautious in considering the Vigor.
I will probably compare the Bionic and the SGII and go from there.

OP
OriginalDroid

OriginalDroid

Reaction score
People who continue saying "I don't understand why you would wait for cutting edge", well it's really simple you see, if I'm going to be stuck with the phone for two years I want it to work good for two years, in two years battery degradation will put the TB on life support, the charge looks like a turd to me and the revolutions camera is no better than my OG's and what about the X2 and D3 you ask? I ask, will 3G even be around in 2 years?

Sent from my Bugless Droid using DroidForums

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Waiting for cutting edge? What is cutting edge? Today's best technology is tomorrow's average tech. I say go with the phone you think you can hold on to for at least 2 years.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly I'm just waiting for a phone I actually like. Verizon hasn't introduced a phone since the D1 that I've actually liked. Hopefully it's the Bionic, if not hopefully it's the SGII. I'll keep waiting until I like something.

rayw796

Reaction score
I am more partial to Motorola phones than Samsung or HTC because I have had a number of Motorola phones and other devices. My D1 is still working, but slowly even after i did a factory reset. Newer apps want more horsepower. In July I was prepared to buy the Bionic on 1st day available. As more details and speculations appear about other phones, I may wait until mid Oct to buy. That way I don't second guess on anything that comes out for the next 2 years. At that time I will select the best phone available that fits my needs. Screen is one of the more important items to me.

droidrenegade

Reaction score
Well I like the Samsung display but I like what I think will be the best battery which is Bionic can't have both lol motorola can usally take more abuse so I think Bionic It would have been Bionic hands down back in June and July but we will see now