Day 2 review coming from UD 2.3 to MIUI

gwhiz377

Reaction score
Yea I don't know how people get these crazy numbers. I have to usually charge mine twice a day. I've never gotten anywhere near that type of battery life no matter what ROM I use. Guess maybe I play around on my phone too much.

Another UD user here really thinking about finally trying out this ROM. Actually having to charge up my phone right now before I try and switch. LOL

r8rfan1010

Reaction score
The only problem I am having.....

Is not being able to play videos sent to me via SMS/MMS? I had a friend of mine who is also with the same carrier take a video at the bowling alley and send it to me as an MMS. I received it and although it looks like a video with the icon and when I click on the icon I can see the timer running on the bottom for as long as the video was but it only shows me a still picture (Jpg) but does not play the movie. I checked their phone and the video plays fine (although they have a regular non-smartphone). Videos were able to be received and played fine when I was using UD 2.3 before upgrading to MIUI. I love MIUI but and I hope that it's something that I or one of the developers can fix to get them to play successfully.

ramos

Reaction score
so how does keeping wifi on help with battery time?

do keep wifi on even when your not home and on the road?

how much of a difference have you seen?

if there is a thread of this already could you point me to the thread

imeatingseeds

Reaction score
Coming from UD 2.3 to MIUI as well, and coincidentally, it is my second day on the ROM.

I LOVE this thing, and I'm glad that we're beginning to see more and more advanced, as well as high quality, stuff coming out of the amateur/independent dev. community. *tear* It makes me *stifled crying* SO PROUD!

:) Just kidding.

But yeah...I only have a few questions which I didn't find the answers to either in the "D1-MIUI User Guide. Please read before posting UI related Questions" or by searching - so I figured I might ask here instead of posting a new thread topic.

First - if I were to uninstall SetCPU, how would I control the clock speed and clock/heat profiles? Would I be able to manage profiles of that sort through the built-in interface for the CPU?

Finally - when applying new kernels to MIUI, do you guys recommend I do a data/factory reset and a full wipe of my cache and dalvik cache, or can I just apply the new kernel and restart the phone?

Please try and be patient with us news - as we are slowly learning what it is that we're doing!

Thanks for the attention/help my fellow MIUI-ers!

Last edited:

xformulax

Reaction score
Coming from UD 2.3 to MIUI as well, and coincidentally, it is my second day on the ROM.

I LOVE this thing, and I'm glad that we're beginning to see more and more advanced, as well as high quality, stuff coming out of the amateur/independent dev. community. *tear* It makes me *stifled crying* SO PROUD!

:) Just kidding.

But yeah...I only have a few questions which I didn't find the answers to either in the "D1-MIUI User Guide. Please read before posting UI related Questions" or by searching - so I figured I might ask here instead of posting a new thread topic.

First - if I were to uninstall SetCPU, how would I control the clock speed and clock/heat profiles? Would I be able to manage profiles of that sort through the built-in interface for the CPU?

Finally - when applying new kernels to MIUI, do you guys recommend I do a data/factory reset and a full wipe of my cache and dalvik cache, or can I just apply the new kernel and restart the phone?

Please try and be patient with us news - as we are slowly learning what it is that we're doing!

Thanks for the attention/help my fellow MIUI-ers!

re overclock: you can control overclock in /system/etc/init.d/99complete but you'll want to keep setCPU if you need the placebo effect of running profiles

re kernel: dont wipe anything, just flash the kernel and boot up

T

treym

re overclock: you can control overclock in /system/etc/init.d/99complete but you'll want to keep setCPU if you need the placebo effect of running profiles

re kernel: dont wipe anything, just flash the kernel and boot up

I suggest you talk to Skull One about that. To say that underclocking to save battery life is placebo is just ignorant and uninformed.

Lowering the cpu clockspeed when the screen is off WILL save battery. Lowering CPU speed when the phone gets too hot from overclocking (in a hot car, hot summer day) is a must for the battery's physical health as it is not rated for temps as high as the cpu. Letting the system run ondemand when your phone is overclocked is gonna drain battery much more than a SetCPU controlled system under the same kernel.

The problem with just letting the system do the cpu controlling alone is the fact that if you're overclocked, then the ondemand governor will kick in all the way up to full power even when the phone is locked if an app is doing something in the background. SetCPU can stop this from happening (I set mine to 250-400, conservative, screen off.)

You really shouldn't call SetCPU placebo. It will confuse the newbies.

edit: if that sounds a bit harsh, please don't take it that way. I meant no evil. :)

Last edited by a moderator: