Day 16. Factory Reset......Already!!!!!

Wopback

Reaction score
The 1st-15 days, this phone has been great!!!! Unfortunately, I had my first issue today.

I noticed my battery was draining more than usual this morning. When I looked at my "battery usage" I noticed the OS and Android system was extemely high. 60% to be exact. Typically the display is higher, so this is way out of the norm.

I checked to see what was running, but nothing out of the norm......

I did a factory reset and will see what happens........this is so disappointing.

Anyone else experiencing this????????

Zandar

Reaction score
I have the OS and Android System in higher spots when I'm idle more often. The screen will be the #1 culprit if I'm really using the device, but the screen won't draw any power when it's not on (obviously). Was your usage different? Did you install any apps just before that? Some apps will poll the CPU in the background (due to crummy coding) and this can cause significant drain when your phone is "idling." It can actually cause your phone to not go into idle, but it will appear as if the app is fine (since its only "usage" is polling the CPU); and this will make it seem like Android OS or some other such thing is the reason for your battery drain.

mastacox

Reaction score
Are you sure you didn't just overreact? I mean so your battery was draining a little bit faster than normal, maybe a there was a task or something in the background or something you missed... I don't know if one day of seemingly higher-than-normal battery usage warrants an immediate factory reset?!

OP
Wopback

Wopback

Reaction score
I have the OS and Android System in higher spots when I'm idle more often. The screen will be the #1 culprit if I'm really using the device, but the screen won't draw any power when it's not on (obviously). Was your usage different? Did you install any apps just before that? Some apps will poll the CPU in the background (due to crummy coding) and this can cause significant drain when your phone is "idling." It can actually cause your phone to not go into idle, but it will appear as if the app is fine (since its only "usage" is polling the CPU); and this will make it seem like Android OS or some other such thing is the reason for your battery drain.
......... I downloaded some bill reminder apps, which "may" have been the culprit. However, Im not totally sold on this being the reason. I checked the running apps and even did a reboot of the phone, but I still got this issue. I did the factory reset and so far it seems good. Im crossing my fingers, thanks for the reply...

OP
Wopback

Wopback

Reaction score
Are you sure you didn't just overreact? I mean so your battery was draining a little bit faster than normal, maybe a there was a task or something in the background or something you missed... I don't know if one day of seemingly higher-than-normal battery usage warrants an immediate factory reset?!

Yeah....I thought maybe I was at first, but I noticed a drastic difference in battery life so I did a diagnostic of the phone which included a reboot and task analysis. My last resort was factoy reset, which seems to be good now.....

jrmdroid

Reaction score
Just curiuos if you are using Motocast to sync to your computer? For watching a video or for listening to musc? This could drain your battery fast even though you not using it.

I ran into this recently (as did several others) and found that the music app was syncing and updating using a huge amout of data which then drained my battery even though I was not even using my phone at all for anything.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would have at least tried to uninstall the new apps first to see if they were actually the problem. If you didnt have your phones customized alot, didn't have alot apps, games installed, didnt have any important texts....a factory reset wasnt bad.....just a lil extreme...lol. Do texts get deleted with a factory reset?

Zandar

Reaction score
......... I downloaded some bill reminder apps, which "may" have been the culprit. However, Im not totally sold on this being the reason. I checked the running apps and even did a reboot of the phone, but I still got this issue. I did the factory reset and so far it seems good. Im crossing my fingers, thanks for the reply...
The problem with "running apps" is that it won't tell you everything; it's more of an "apps in memory," which is not a whole picture. It won't tell you when an app is misbehaving and polling the CPU too much, for instance. Still, I hope that your problem goes away with the reset; I'd hate to see your superphone ground to a halt over some stupid coder's half-assed app.

OP
Wopback

Wopback

Reaction score
Nope, not using MOTOCAST and I did delete the apps. But your right, I do think there was something running but no showing during the diagnostic. Thats why Im hoping this FR works.

And yes, texts do get deleted.........

Ansa82

Reaction score

I agree...couldn't you just do a hard reset or whatever it is when they tell you to hold down the power button and low volume? Why do a factory reset?

OP
Wopback

Wopback

Reaction score
WHAT IS EVERYONE ELSE SEEING????

Im using the phone (apps, texts, etc.) and checked the battery usage. I have 47% display, 21% Android System, and 6% OS.

Before it was 60% Android System.....

OP
Wopback

Wopback

Reaction score
I agree...couldn't you just do a hard reset or whatever it is when they tell you to hold down the power button and low volume? Why do a factory reset?

Hard reset didnt work.....Battery was still draining......believe me, I hate doing factory resets..LOL