1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

davlik

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by driodman, Dec 9, 2010.

1. driodman

driodman New Member

what is the davlik and what happens when i wipe cause i hear poeple wiping it and what happens when you wipe
  2. Skull One

Skull One New Member

The best non-technical answer I can give you is that it contains the translated code from the Apps you download (as well as from the OS) to your phones specific CPU requirements so that the App runs faster.

When you clear it, you have to reboot the phone so it will rebuild it. The best reason to do that is when you do a lot of direct changes to the OS and something seems flaky or you want to see if you can reclaim some disk space for installing apps from the market.
  3. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    The Dalvik cache is similar to the prefetch cache on a Windows PC. Both benefit from cleaning out every couple of weeks.
  4. driodman

driodman New Member

so if i clear it right now i will be ok
  5. furbearingmammal

Yes. Then reboot immediately to prevent stability problems.
  6. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

OK here is a Dalvik question. Would it be possible to move the Dalvik cache from internal storage to SD Card? Is there a mechanism for this or a script, etc...? Reason I ask is that it would free up a good amount of internal space. Assuming you are running a Class 6 card it shouldn't make a whole heap of difference where it resides.
  7. furbearingmammal

Not without a custom ROM being developed specifically to do that and even then I don't think so, and for a very good reason: The Droid 1 gains no speed benefit from a class 4 to a class 6 card. Not only that, but microSD cards are NOT very good at random access. Sequential access, yes, they rock, but the latencies in random access are pretty high.
  8. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Apparently it has been done on the N1, G1 and others with a script toolkit as well as the ability to move it back to internal. It would be a nice option because the Droid even with Froyo starts to get low on internal space pretty quick. Ideas? Anyone?

The space gained is quite alot. Prior to blowing out my Dalvik cache I have about 37 Meg free internal space. After a wipe of the dalvik cache I have a little over 100 Meg of free internal space. That is quite a significant increase. If the ability to move it to SD were available with little to no performance hits, think maybe an EXT3 or EXT4 formatted partition, it would be worth investigating.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  9. furbearingmammal

Didn't realize it was that easy. I'd worry about SD degradation, to be honest, but that's me. You WOULD need an EXT3/4 format, though, or JIT would be too costly for performance.