Data usage vs. Wi-Fi?

Droid_Ritch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
So I have been curious as to when I should or shouldn't have these settings turned on...when I'm out and about I tend to use my 4G data from Verizon and when I'm at the house I use the Wi-Fi connection. I notice I am able to manually go into my settings and disable data....is it necessary to turn this off or will my phone automatically utilize the Wi-Fi connection when I'm at my house. There is no point to use data when I have access to internet in the home. But I also notice that when data is disabled certain multimedia messages cannot be received or sent without the network. It seems to be whether its the Wi-Fi connection icon or the 4G LTE connection being highlighted determines which network is currently being utilized....Does this sound right? And if so if the Wi-Fi connection was being used it does makes sense that this would drain the battery a lil faster when both 4G LTE and Wi-Fi are turned on.....does this all sound right?

Help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Reaction score
I'd say the are the same speed wise. Depending on what u have. DSL I'd say ur 4g is faster. If u have cable then they are the just about the same. The LTE is like Verizon fios. So I'd say no its the same speed.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I have been curious as to when I should or shouldn't have these settings turned on...when I'm out and about I tend to use my 4G data from Verizon and when I'm at the house I use the Wi-Fi connection. I notice I am able to manually go into my settings and disable data....is it necessary to turn this off or will my phone automatically utilize the Wi-Fi connection when I'm at my house. There is no point to use data when I have access to internet in the home. But I also notice that when data is disabled certain multimedia messages cannot be received or sent without the network. It seems to be whether its the Wi-Fi connection icon or the 4G LTE connection being highlighted determines which network is currently being utilized....Does this sound right? And if so if the Wi-Fi connection was being used it does makes sense that this would drain the battery a lil faster when both 4G LTE and Wi-Fi are turned on.....does this all sound right?

Help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

When you are using your WiFi or any WiFi your 3g or 4g data is not used, its not possible to use 2 different data points at the same time, on my Incredible I have my WiFi always checked to on, so when I get to my office or am at home or at relatives or friends houses my WiFi connection gets picked up automatically, the phone does it by itself, you will see your WiFi signal at the top, and your 3g-4g icon will disappear, which means you are NOT using Verizons network when on WiFi.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
Droid_Ritch

Droid_Ritch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
@cybertronic yea that's what I thought. But my icon on my Droid Razr for wifi and 4g never disappear when they are disabled. But I do realize whenever I am doing something internet based which ever connection I'm using is highlighted blue while the other icon is displayed but highlighted white

milkshed27

Reaction score
You can just use Smart Actions to disable data when using Wi-Fi. For example..... Name: WI-Fi Connection ------- Triggers: WI-FI Connection, Location -------- Actions: Cellular Data (Disabled)

Last edited:
OP
Droid_Ritch

Droid_Ritch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
@milkshed

...That is a great thought but then I also figure if I have smart actions on.....that also means GPS settings have to be on....these two features alone can drain down the battery a bit....my goal is to conveniently conserve data as well as battery life.

cdfjr1975

Reaction score
To not use GPS I set smart action to wifi [router name] as trigger instead of location as trigger and cell data off as action

Deron

Reaction score
...That is a great thought but then I also figure if I have smart actions on.....that also means GPS settings have to be on....these two features alone can drain down the battery a bit....my goal is to conveniently conserve data as well as battery life.

Your can use smart actions without turning GPS on. In the example he gave there is no need for GPS to be on to trigger that action. The action turns on when WiFi is turned on. Just remember to manually turn on WiFi when you get home.

OP
Droid_Ritch

Droid_Ritch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
All of your suggestions were extremely helpful....I did end up using smart actions. I made a custom action to disable 4g data when wifi is turned on....and it ended up being extremely convenient when I made a toggle wifi widget on my home screen. The action does exactly what I want it to do vice versa depending on either way I switch the widget......the only concern I have now is if 4g data is turned off.....will I not be able to receive multimedia messages via Verizon's network without 4g?

Last edited:

cdfjr1975

Reaction score
Glad it's working for you. I get notifications but have to download if I want to see the message which means briefly turning on the cell data again. There is an trigger for text message so maybe something can be done with that to turn on cell data but I don't get enough MMS when I'm home so turning on cell data again isn't a bother for me.

OP
Droid_Ritch

Droid_Ritch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
....yea I have noticed having to download MMS. Now is it necessary in the first place to even make a smart action to prevent the phone from using 4g data?....or doesn't the phone automatically utilize a wifi network when connected?

cdfjr1975

Reaction score
You don't have to turn off cell data I do it to conserve battery. I still get calls and text so I'm happy. Plus with wireless n I get better speeds bring on wifi then 4G.

OP
Droid_Ritch

Droid_Ritch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
....Exactly...makes sense....that's my logic as well....conserve my battery....conserve my data....get the best connection when available....again I very much appreciate the help. Thank you.