Data Usage Question

trackman1

Reaction score
I thought I would ask here first becfore I called verizon...If I transfer files, like .apk or whatever from my pc to my phone does that cpunt towards data usage???

Thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No.

Data use is internet use on your phone.

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
sorry if it was a foolish question, but I was not sure exactly how they measure data usage other than internet and I guess d/l's would be counted also?????

thanks again

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
When you use internet they count it (youtube videos, checking email, facebook, downloading apps, etc.) Anything requiring internet use means you use data.

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
thank you for the clarification....thats why I try to get stuff by d/l and transfer from pc to phone to save usage........

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
thank you for the clarification....thats why I try to get stuff by d/l and transfer from pc to phone to save usage........
Guessing you don't have a wifi point to connect to, whatever you gotta do to make it work I guess.

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
I do but certain things its better to just d/l and transfer....you have been a great help

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I do but certain things its better to just d/l and transfer....you have been a great help
Gotcha. Well if you use wifi it doesn't go against you, just in case you were wondering that.

And no problem, here to help.

bbrett72

Reaction score
I have a new Nexus with ICS 4.0.4 and have never had a smartphone before. However I pride myself on not being completely stupid and I beleive that the data counter on my Nexus is either out, or every other data counter I've used is. In the first month of service I downloaded nearly five hundred apps. My Nexus data counter (correctly set, I believe) was reading around 5Gb at the end of the month. My carriers data counter (Virgin, Australia) was reading just over 2Gb. Because I noted a discrepancy I started using one or two other data counters to check what is going on and they seem to fall somewhere in the middle.
I am not going to complain about getting more data than I am meant to (I am sure that Virgin's counter is under), but I would like to find a way to get decent data counts. At the end of the month (postpaid plan) it gets to be hard to guess how much data I have left as Virgin claim their counter can lag up to two days behind. Anyone able to enlighten me or got any suggestions? Please.. Brett.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I have a new Nexus with ICS 4.0.4 and have never had a smartphone before. However I pride myself on not being completely stupid and I beleive that the data counter on my Nexus is either out, or every other data counter I've used is. In the first month of service I downloaded nearly five hundred apps. My Nexus data counter (correctly set, I believe) was reading around 5Gb at the end of the month. My carriers data counter (Virgin, Australia) was reading just over 2Gb. Because I noted a discrepancy I started using one or two other data counters to check what is going on and they seem to fall somewhere in the middle.
I am not going to complain about getting more data than I am meant to (I am sure that Virgin's counter is under), but I would like to find a way to get decent data counts. At the end of the month (postpaid plan) it gets to be hard to guess how much data I have left as Virgin claim their counter can lag up to two days behind. Anyone able to enlighten me or got any suggestions? Please.. Brett.

That is a pretty big difference there. Are you ever on wifi? As mentioned here, anything you download via another network (like by using wifi) won't count against your wireless ISP. For example, I have transfered almost 11GB in my usage this month, 8.5 of those have been on wifi. So as far as Verizon is concerned I have only used ~1.5GB.

Second, some things may not count against you through your carrier. I am not sure about Virgin, but the US carriers for the most part have a few "whitelisted" addresses that won't count against you. For example, MMS messages actually use data, but won't count against you. OTA updates I don't think are counted against you either. Once again, I have no knowledge about how things work in Australia or with Virgin, but I would imagine they would be similar. This probably doesn't count for ~3GB of data though, but could explain some discrepancies.