Data Throttling Hack

DroidMakesPwn

Reaction score
I believe any theme you install on liberty has the throttling hack installed.

Sent from my Liberated&Remixed D2

OP
C

corona36

Reaction score
I actually just had to do a full reset of everything due to themes messing things up due to preinstalled themed apps killing it on me. No updates allowed due to the updates coming from the market and apps (facebook and google voice) were built into the theme and the update couldn't make sense of them so they failed on install. I think ill be staying away from themes for now.

I did end up using the file from the forum I linked and am LOVING my speeds. I know some people are saying that throttling is server side. I agree with this for some throttling. If you end up in the top 5% then it will be server side due to VZW flagging you. The phone itself, however, seems to have a throttle built in to prevent the speeds from going too fast.

I had a Droid 1 and never had an issue with speed. Then I got it replaced with a D2 and noticed that on most YouTube videos high quality just wasn't an option due to the speed constraints. I put up to network congestion and figured it would pass. It didn't. So I learned to live with low quality. Then I started seeing the posts about the throttling hack and put 2 and 2 together. They were mostly from Droid X users but I know the 2 and the X are close enough to being the same phone that they share a lot of the same software.

I took the plunge and tried the hack.

I AM FREAKING LOVING THIS THING NOW!

My speeds have gone from consistant 850kbps to 1.7mbps on the down and ~200kbps to ~700kbps on the up. I have tested in multiple places in my area and I know that there is a BIG difference in the speeds I am seeing. And this isn't just the speedtest app on the phone. I tried wireless tether and barnacle and am seeing similar speed increases on the connected laptop too.

If there is anyone thinking about using this hack I definately encourage them to give it a try. I've seen no downside to this at all and the phone is running like a champ.

I will also say that the themes I tried didn't seem to have this hack applied as my speeds were dismal before I did this. I would love to see it added to the Liberty Toolbox so its easier to put on than having to go the Droid X downloads. We need some more love for the D2!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Cheepjeep

Reaction score
so you just boot into clockworks then install the zip just like the liberty rom or is there any other extra steps to take? sorry if i sound ignorant im still a little new to android.

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
so you just boot into clockworks then install the zip just like the liberty rom or is there any other extra steps to take? sorry if i sound ignorant im still a little new to android.

Yup. Don't wipe anything just install from zip and reboot. Just an fyi tho, data throttling is only used in some areas and only for heavy data users, so don't be surprised if running the hack makes no difference. It didn't make a difference for me...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

maxnicks

Reaction score
i flashed it to my 1G D2. For me there is a noticible difference on 3G. I've run no benchmarks and am just basing things on my observation.

jkieffer46

Reaction score
Flashed and now I can surf the web and listen to pandora on 3g. This a noticeable improvement. Thanks much.

Montecarlo97z

Reaction score
Flashed and now I can surf the web and listen to pandora on 3g. This a noticeable improvement. Thanks much.

same here, my internet speed has picked up.. cant wait to see if pandora still takes a while to load

OP
C

corona36

Reaction score
Ill just leave these here.

Been a while since I've weighed in on this. I'm running connected to an iPad right now. Netflix running perfectly. Soooooo good.

Sent from my Droid2 using DroidForums

Snow02

Reaction score
It can. It is of limited utility though. Speeds are very much time of day and location dependent more than anything.

Post your services.jar and I'll mod it for you. You must be deodexed.

aadster

Reaction score
It can. It is of limited utility though. Speeds are very much time of day and location dependent more than anything.

Post your services.jar and I'll mod it for you. You must be deodexed.

Awesome, where can I find that jar file?