Data Throttle

jschoef

Reaction score
I have been reading about data throttling...does it do anything and if so, can we use it in your rom?

I noticed when I tether, after about 5 minutes, I get no more internet. This happened to me on stock and squidly using the hack and the apps.

wooddale

Reaction score
I have been reading about data throttling...does it do anything and if so, can we use it in your rom?

I noticed when I tether, after about 5 minutes, I get no more internet. This happened to me on stock and squidly using the hack and the apps.

Im not sure about throttling some people say it only happens after you use 5gigs of data never used that much so I duno when I ck mine sometimes its faster than other but there is no ryme or reason to it.As far as for tethering I believe that all depends signal strength its either there or not but tethering is wireless so its not gonna be like a wired connection

OP
J

jschoef

Reaction score
Ya, what happens to me is ill have a good connection and ill be cruising the net and after 5mins or so, it doesn't work anymore. I have to toggle airplane mode and shut off tethering and turn it back on again. This is my 2nd D2 and I BELIEVE I had the same prob on my first one.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

squidlymandingo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
This does happen from time to time when bad 3g service is present I've had it happen a couple of times at work, it reported ok service but when I tried to use it dropped out,that is when I've had it happen. My phone is beat I thought it was my device, happens on everything including stock.

wooddale

Reaction score
This does happen from time to time when bad 3g service is present I've had it happen a couple of times at work, it reported ok service but when I tried to use it dropped out,that is when I've had it happen. My phone is beat I thought it was my device, happens on everything including stock.

1st love the rom D2 running fast as it can ha ha. I guess it happens to me also but I have att internet here so if it does kick off it will auto go to att cause the computer always looking for connection.

Taegost

Reaction score
I have a similar issue, sometimes when I have spotty 3g connection the internet appears to lock up and I either have to reboot or toggle airplane mode... I thought I had borked something up :)

My Droid Does Tapatalk...

maqsur

Reaction score
On another thread, it was mentioned that battery heat could be causing the 3g connection to go out while wireless tethering.

I used usb tethering, and no longer had the issue of disconnects.

cron666

Reaction score
i also have the dropout problem

ill be using the tether and BAM 3G icon dissapears and no signal.
then i toggle airplane mode and it starts working again.

my battery doesnt heat up that bad.
battery gets HOT if i watch a quality flash video on my fone (not tethering) and the 3G doesnt drop out.

ive got temp profiles on my droid overclock and it takes the phone down to 300MHz when it gets past 127*F (52*C)
that helps keep things safe.

if anyone finds a solution for this, i would be forever grateful :biggrin:

wooddale

Reaction score
i also have the dropout problem

ill be using the tether and BAM 3G icon dissapears and no signal.
then i toggle airplane mode and it starts working again.

my battery doesnt heat up that bad.
battery gets HOT if i watch a quality flash video on my fone (not tethering) and the 3G doesnt drop out.

ive got temp profiles on my droid overclock and it takes the phone down to 300MHz when it gets past 127*F (52*C)
that helps keep things safe.

if anyone finds a solution for this, i would be forever grateful :biggrin:

Somebody said it was a 3g prob from verizon I loose 3g sometimes myself called verizon they said there is no problem so that's means they wont admit it. Lots of guys are having problems on other rims so its definetly a verizon problem

bigwilly90210

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a throttling problem as I've never had any speed loss. Its more like they recognize an sudden spike in data use and just kill the connection. I've been doing some tests in town and out and about and it seems to pretty consistently drop the data connection (3G or otherwise) within about 5 minutes of tethering via usb. No heat issues and 5 bars service in town. Great speeds when it is connected though. Is there anyway to fix this in a ROM? Cause its been happening to me from rooted stock 2.2, Liquid Froyo, UD 2.5, and now UD 3.0. Just my $.02

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

wooddale

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a throttling problem as I've never had any speed loss. Its more like they recognize an sudden spike in data use and just kill the connection. I've been doing some tests in town and out and about and it seems to pretty consistently drop the data connection (3G or otherwise) within about 5 minutes of tethering via usb. No heat issues and 5 bars service in town. Great speeds when it is connected though. Is there anyway to fix this in a ROM? Cause its been happening to me from rooted stock 2.2, Liquid Froyo, UD 2.5, and now UD 3.0. Just my $.02

I think its Verizons way of making unlimited data limited duno

cron666

Reaction score
it may be.
but thats the reason i dont use their tethering app (it tells them you are tethering)
i didnt have a problem with bluetooth tethering, but then again, it randomly lost association the next day and i gave up trying to get it to reconnect.

but this is not throttling.
throttling makes your connection slower, not reset it.

bigwilly90210

Reaction score
Do you really think it matters how its tethered? I had an Eris before and the wireless tether never worked stable for more than 30 minutes. That's why I switched over to wired primarily using the app. Idk, like I said its not really throttling if there's no connection being allowed... ha. Any ways around that?

cron666

Reaction score
exactly my point,
its very well possible its dependent on the method used.
the bad part is, we are only hearing from ppl who have problems.

but some good info is that it worked for me through bluetooth, which i will try again.
you say it works for you through USB, excellent.

what app/rom combo are you using?
i just switched to squidly, all my problems took place on angroids rom.
i will test further and post my findings here.

bigwilly90210

Reaction score
My current (prolly permanent) ROM is UD 3.0.1 with Black n Bold and ChevyNo1's MedV 1.1ghz kernel. Signal strength has been great and it wakes up pretty consistently quick. I use "Wired Tether for Root Users" V. 1.4 over USB and it will commonly work for about 5 minutes before my phone actually loses the 3G icon. Then I disable tethering, 3G comes back, tether again for another 5 minutes. One thing I'm gonna try later today (4am my time) is watching the amount of data downloaded before it disconnects. Maybe that's the trigger? Kinda pisses me of cause in desperation I've downloaded UD 3.0.0 and that was like 77mb and that worked fine. Also, Wireless Tether app from Market installed, ran, set up and connected on computer, but lost 3G as soon as I tried to use it. Will try to reproduce later. Good luck chaps!