Data Storage for Droid RAZR MAXX

IleDile

Reaction score
I know little to nothing about data storage in cell phones, so I have no idea what to do if I try to get this phone. Could somebody explain to me exactly when data storage is charged? Am I just charged for a certain amount of downloaded materials? When I download an application, does it charge me? When I use an application to download a song, does it charge me? This probably sounds like the dumbest question ever, but I don't know much about it.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
"Data storage" isn't charged. That's the amount of storage you have on your phone for saving things (music, movies, photos, etc.).

If you're on a tiered data plan, they keep track of your 3G/4G data usage. So if you download an app over Verizon's network, that counts against your allotment of data. If you use an application to download a song, that counts against your allotment of data. Anything that uses the internet when you're connected to Verizon's data network will count against your allotment of data. You're already paying for a certain amount each month, so you won't get "charged" anything beyond that unless you go over the amount you're paying for.

However, any internet usage via WiFi does not count against your allotment of data.

OP
I

IleDile

Reaction score
"Data storage" isn't charged. That's the amount of storage you have on your phone for saving things (music, movies, photos, etc.).

If you're on a tiered data plan, they keep track of your 3G/4G data usage. So if you download an app over Verizon's network, that counts against your allotment of data. If you use an application to download a song, that counts against your allotment of data. Anything that uses the internet when you're connected to Verizon's data network will count against your allotment of data. You're already paying for a certain amount each month, so you won't get "charged" anything beyond that unless you go over the amount you're paying for.

However, any internet usage via WiFi does not count against your allotment of data.

So if I use the browser to read something using the 4G internet connection without downloading anything, it would still count against me? Also, does that mean that if I use my WiFi connection to download an app, song, etc., it won't have any effect on my data allotment?

rpdonald

Reaction score
IleDile said:
So if I use the browser to read something using the 4G internet connection without downloading anything, it would still count against me? Also, does that mean that if I use my WiFi connection to download an app, song, etc., it won't have any effect on my data allotment?

Yep, use Wi-Fi whenever possible!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

lmpmd

Reaction score
If u read news online thru 4g u are using data and it counts as data. The data that displays that website has to reach your phone. Using wifi connection to download app won't count as data used.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Yes. Absolutely anything that uses the internet over 3G/4G will count against your allotment of data. Absolutely anything that uses the internet over WiFi will not count against your allotment of data.

You can keep track of your 3G/4G data usage with the My Verizon Mobile app.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yes. Absolutely anything that uses the internet over 3G/4G will count against your allotment of data. Absolutely anything that uses the internet over WiFi will not count against your allotment of data.

You can keep track of your 3G/4G data usage with the My Verizon Mobile app.

100% correct! But I expect nothing less from bsweetness! ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.