Data Shows VZW's Costs for Transmitting Data are Going Down as Customers Pay More

Crf450r420

Reaction score
I'm also a very long time customer of over 9 years. It looks like I will likely be jumping when my contract is up. It's nothing to do with the increase in prices. It's how they have treated me as a customer. I've always spent the money to be on the best network and because I was treated very well. That quality treatment use to grow along with the time I have been a customer, but that has stopped. I would have been happy to pay more a month for the unlimited data.

There is a lot B.S. in the new policies and statements made also. They better add more to the new plan, because the coverage in my area is not perfect and the lead in 4G is going away fast. So right now the higher bill isn't adding up either. MetroPCS phones are getting better phone service than me in some areas.

Last edited:

nbargolf

Reaction score
...and this is why I won't be renewing my contract in two years and just sit on month to month grandfathered in to my unlimited plan. :p
What ever you do folks DON'T fall for their pitch about shared data. I did the math and looked over data usage for 12 months, averaged 4-6 GB, as did the Verizon rep, who said with your usage the monthly cost should go down. We needed new phones so I fell for it. After the change over our usage went to 10-12 GB costing an additional $30-40 dollars a month. Same people same usage but doubled. The CEO's statement about unlimited being just a word to them is true. They are tracing differently on their shared data plan than on their unlimited plan. So whatever you do, don't give up the unlimited plan. Considering what it is now costing us over 24 months, we can pay the fess and switch and actually save money.

susankernes

Reaction score
Gouging loyal customers

verizon-execs-deal-in-shadows-pic.jpeg

As most (if not all) of you are aware, Verizon has been slowly altering their data plans over the past couple of years. They have been eliminating old ones and are introducing new ones that rarely benefit the customer, but instead benefit Verizon's profit margins. Apparently, that difference may be more pronounced than we thought. According to a minor analysis of Verizon's most recent earnings call, Verizon's costs associated with delivering data continue to go down, even as they are increasing costs to most of their customers. Here's a quote with some of the details,

Now, of course we don't fault a company for trying to earn a profit. After-all it would be silly to operate a business that does not generate profit. That would be a charity. Also, between heavy pension costs and Hurricane Sandy repairs, Verizon actually took a loss last year. Still, sometimes it's hard not to think that Big Red is taking advantage a little bit, especially because they claim that their data plans are designed to minimize network clogging. That has always seemed like a lame excuse, and is even more so, realizing that their 4G network is 5 times more efficient than their 3G network.

There comes a point when "min-maxing" just seems shady. Also, perhaps it would be an easier pill to swallow if VZW didn't shovel "horse-crap" excuses along with their policies. Share your perspective.

I am frankly not surprised that VZW is making money at both ends of the deal by both charging more for their data plans while spending less to provide the service. I would say shame on them but I suspect they are doing this because they CAN. Why is this not regulated the way other utilities such as electric companies, are?[/SIZE]

superrazer

Reaction score
That's too bad.

I know there are three sides to a story, my side, his side, and the truth but how could verizon do this to its customers or at least let people know about it. I have 2gbs of data for my Razr and it's fine. Expensive but useful. Maybe verizon is going to save up for 5g or something but right now things aren't looking good fro them.

superrazer

Reaction score
You may be on to something.

You say verizon isn't regulated like power companies or anything like that but if they did end up getting too big, they might be broken up. It has happened in the past. If the government sees a company getting too big and just taking the market, it'll break the company up. It happened in the 1960s with car builders. This is the new muscle car revolution so maybe the same rules will apply. Didn't something similar happen to AT&T a while ago?

Theron

Reaction score
Until they eventually kill of unlimited. It's going to happen lol

In case you hadn't noticed, unlimited data was killed off awhile ago. You can't start a new unlimited plan. That's what grandfathered contracts are all about. Verizon can't force me to renegotiate my contract unless I buy a subsidized phone.

So even though Verizon ALREADY killed unlimited, they can never take it away from me without my consent as long as my bill gets paid.

Crf450r420

Reaction score
No, there is not. The number of people that threaten to leave vs. actually leave is like 100 to 1.

I would have been the one, but the cost to leave during my contract was over $800. That would be me paying for four months of use that I don't get to use making it not a good idea. I'd say I'd leave at the end of my contract, but who knows what will change by then. If things don't change I will be gone.

I was also told that it would $20 cheaper if we switched and stayed at 4GB shared. We have done this and my bill is $3 more a month. Then there is the fact that we upgraded one line and I lost the unlimited on my line also. They admit they made a mistake on that, but will not give the unlimited back on my line.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
You say verizon isn't regulated like power companies or anything like that but if they did end up getting too big, they might be broken up. It has happened in the past. If the government sees a company getting too big and just taking the market, it'll break the company up. It happened in the 1960s with car builders. This is the new muscle car revolution so maybe the same rules will apply. Didn't something similar happen to AT&T a while ago?

Yes it did, and you know what ATT did? They simply said ok, waited till the their slap on the wrist was over, and started buying up the little companies again. Verizon is buying all the little companies and literally buying the market. I laugh when I see reports that say Vzw and ATT are among the leaders in various consumer reports, well thats because they are leaders by default if they own the majority of the market. Same thing is happening with the cable companies, they see their businesses going down so they link up with internet companies and go wallet hunting...

waynestephens

Reaction score
Lost Plan

I would have been the one, but the cost to leave during my contract was over $800. That would be me paying for four months of use that I don't get to use making it not a good idea. I'd say I'd leave at the end of my contract, but who knows what will change by then. If things don't change I will be gone.

I was also told that it would $20 cheaper if we switched and stayed at 4GB shared. We have done this and my bill is $3 more a month. Then there is the fact that we upgraded one line and I lost the unlimited on my line also. They admit they made a mistake on that, but will not give the unlimited back on my line.

But if you stay on a month to moth plan you bill will continue to up a few dollars a month until you sign up for a new plan as there way to get you off that unlimited plan, sure that unlimited plan is sweet now but your month to month can go up as they please.

comk4ver

Reaction score
But if you stay on a month to moth plan you bill will continue to up a few dollars a month until you sign up for a new plan as there way to get you off that unlimited plan, sure that unlimited plan is sweet now but your month to month can go up as they please.

I have noticed that but we call and they reduce it.

superrazer

Reaction score
Some of the big companies have already started

Yes it did, and you know what ATT did? They simply said ok, waited till the their slap on the wrist was over, and started buying up the little companies again. Verizon is buying all the little companies and literally buying the market. I laugh when I see reports that say Vzw and ATT are among the leaders in various consumer reports, well thats because they are leaders by default if they own the majority of the market. Same thing is happening with the cable companies, they see their businesses going down so they link up with internet companies and go wallet hunting...

I don't know about dish network but directv already has an internet service. It isn't big but it does exist and I think you are right. Internet TV is threatening broadcast television so from a provider's point of view since they are a fortune 500 company and can afford something like century link, why not buy it up? Then you get a share of their money and they are your new horse in the internet race. It's great isn't it?

RuthWt

Reaction score
That's what I'd like to do too...

...and this is why I won't be renewing my contract in two years and just sit on month to month grandfathered in to my unlimited plan. :p

But, that means you don't get any savings on purchasing new phones on the market....right? They're soooo expensive...any secrets about how to purchase them cheap? Thanks!

GotnFX

Reaction score
But, that means you don't get any savings on purchasing new phones on the market....right? They're soooo expensive...any secrets about how to purchase them cheap? Thanks!

No secret...wait a year after these new phones launch and buy off eBay..Craig's list..I am sure there are more sites out there but you'll save tons and keep your current plan...Even if you don't wait, you can get these phones a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than from VZ or whatever co you have.