Data saving tips

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by pc747, Jun 26, 2011.

1. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Many are dreading when tiered data will be here. I for one knew it was coming and I think its time to help educate those new users on ways to save data. I have had a d1, d2 and a tbolt and of my two years I have bust the 2 gig mark 3 times.

So lets begin with some tips.

1) if you live in an area where you can get broadband (ie cable company) it may be worth the money to get service and a router. Wifi is pretty fast and if you are a family where every one has a smart phone and a tablet data can rack up fast.

2) turn off background data when phone is not in use.. .ie sleep mode. If you are at work it may not be as important to have Facebook or weather updating while the phone is in your pocket.

3) if you have wifi use it to update apps, download heavy data files, and any thing that requires a lot of data.

4) while you still are on unlimited use you phone everyday as normal and check your useage constantly so you can get an idea what plan would fit you best.

Tier data is here no need to point why or complain about whether is fair or not. This thread is only for data saving tips. Please do not use this thread to debate whether its right for Vzw to drop unlimited data or discuss whether its fair for Vzw to charge for tethering. Discussion of tips only.
    Thanks.
    sent from droidforums app
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
    mslaceyrose likes this.
  2. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

great thread to start with the dreaded tiered plans coming.

I personally use wifi when i'm at home or at a friend's/relative's house since it is faster. I also turn off any background data.

I'd give some more tips, but you pretty much covered them all :p
  3. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

I certainly agree with #3. I am a fairly light user. By far the majority of my data usage is updating apps. I think I have too many. lol
  4. Lenster

Lenster New Member

A couple more.....

1. Pick up 3g watchdog (free)

2. I use an app called Automateit It comes in both free and pro versions. It can trigger actions because of events. I use it to trigger turning on WiFi when I start the Google market or Amazon market app so I don't forget and start downloading updates in 3G.
  5. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Mind your widgets.

Facebook, Twitter, News & Weather, whatever.....adjust refresh times to longer spans (every 3 hours instead of every 15 minutes) or just refresh manually.....or don't use the widget, just use the app when checking on friend updates, etc..

Email polling. If possible, have Gmail (server) pull in all your emails to your Gmail account and have them pushed to you. Now you aren't sending a query every set number of minutes just to look for email.
  6. Rockydoc

Rockydoc New Member

Checking data usage

I have the HTC Droid Incredible. How do I check data usage? Does this tiered charges start to increase at 2Gb and above?

rockydoc
  7. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

You can check online via verizonwireless.com and logging in.

If you have a Droid Incredible now....you have a data plan now. You are grandfathered in and do not have to worry about it as you are on the unlimited plan.
  8. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

Is there an app that turns off data and only uses wifi when you're at home and vice-versa when you're out away from your home? I feel like if I got a Droid, I would forget every time I left my house to turn off wifi or if I was in my house, I would forget to use wifi for data.
  9. Lenster

Lenster New Member

Look at my post above. I have Automateit set up to turn on WiFi based on location. It turns on when I am within 200M of my house and off again when I leave that perimeter. When you turn WiFi on it automatically kills 3G and all your data is done over WiFi. At least on my Droid it does that. You can check on your phone to see if the 3G icon turns off when WiFi is on and you will know.

I think you would need the Pro version for $1.50 instead of the free one and I don't think it requires Root. I never checked since I'm rooted,

Another programs that does the same thing is Tasker, more elegant, harder to learn, more expensive and DOES require root.

There are blogs on Automateit by the Author. Just Google.

Len
  10. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

Thanks, I'll be sure to look into that.
  11. drust

drust New Member

Verizon has a grandfather clause!!!!!

if you currently have an unlimited data plan you keep it as long as you upgrade off the 3g net onto a 4g lte net
  12. Chimpchampion

Chimpchampion New Member

[Needs citation]
  13. Chimpchampion

Chimpchampion New Member

[Needs citation]
    Please

{via dr.inc.}
  14. eheart

eheart New Member

Bionic what again? I hope they the get the most potent medium into that kind of memory-saving stuff.
  15. Arleen

Arleen New Member

Hey...

Thanks for sharing these useful and important tips with all of us.
    It is very good to shared these types of informative stuff here.
    These tips are most important for those who have less information and those who are new in this field..
  16. celine

celine New Member

i have the htc droid incredible 2 and i'm the minimal $30 data plan... that's not unlimited right?
    also, so basically as long as i use wifi i do not need to worry about my data use?

and i also have a few questions that i would LOVE if someone could thoroughly answer :)
    - do automatic updates (for example for games, etc.) require data use? if they do, how can i turn off all automatic updates? or is that not neccessary?
    - many of the apps i download say they require "full internet access". i know as long as i have wifi on, i'm fine. however, what if i'm in a place where i can't connect to wifi / internet? will they keep kinda "running" in the background and use up the 2G of internet provided by verizon? i really can't let that happen....fines. sigh.
    -how do i save data while checking mail ? (gmail)
    - and i use "talk" (which came with the phone) and "ebuddy" which i downloaded using wifi. since talk requires background data, should i still use it? or will it not take up that much data...because i do chat a lot on gmail. and if i turn background data off, i'm unable to use "talk", which means i basically need to have background data turned on in order to use it. if i turn background data off while i'm at school for example, but turn it back on at home where i have wifi then should i be okay to use talk without taking up data space? fjdal; does "ebuddy" use data? i'm not sure. same with textplus, which i use. does that require data as well?? because those three apps i think i have to use background data which i can't set for a certain time, should i still use them or not?? and for those three if im at home and i have wifi, it's fine right?

IM REALLY NERVOUS NOW BECAUSE OF THIS 2G DATA THING. soso sorry if this questions was super confusing (actually a lot of questions)
    someon,e please please help.............

obviously i am a newbie and have never been a techie.
    thank youu!
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  17. celine

celine New Member

oh and also how do i save data while checking mail ? (gmail)
    and i use "talk" (which came with the phone) and "ebuddy" which i downloaded using wifi. since talk requires background data, should i still use it? or will it not take up that much data...because i do chat a lot on gmail. does "ebuddy" use data? i'm not sure. same with textplus, which i use. does that require data as well?? because those three apps i think i have to use background data which i can't set for a certain time, should i still use them or not??
    and for those three if im at home and i have wifi, it's fine right?

IM REALLY NERVOUS NOW BECAUSE OF THIS 2G DATA THING.
    someon,e please please help.............
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  18. vey

vey New Member

I'm trying to use Droid wall to limit my 3G data to K-9 Mail. That's all I really need it for. Right away, I am in trouble because K-9 requires syncing be turned on. Not Auto Syncing, but syncing.
  19. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

To add many restaurants and fast food joints have wifi may be worth using there wifi.
  20. KeepItReal

KeepItReal New Member

Don't stop taking updates. The are relatively small compared to most downloads.

You should consider adding the data widget that will monitor your data. Even if you have unlimited, you can see if you over indulge and may be a candidate for throttling!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums
Search tags for this page
data saving

data saving tips for android

data saving tips for moto x
does 2g save data
how to check data usage on droid incredible 2
how to check data usage on htc droid incredible
how to lower data usage for verizon

how to save data on android

how to save data on my android
how to save data usage on droid 3