Data Rates within Programming Menu

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by New2u, Nov 15, 2009.

1. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

What exactly is this? I see ours is set to 153.6/9.6 and of course there are other options, but what would changing this do?
  2. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

So I guess no one has figured out what this is for?
  3. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

Ah, That's bandwidth ratio. Basically with any wireless device bandwidth is calculated at a multiple of a 4/1 ratio. EVDO either works at a 16/1 ratio or a 4/4 ratio between download and upload bandwidth. By changing this to the equal setting, your upload bandwidth will be proportionate to the download bandwidth, making it faster, but severely cutting your download speeds. My recommendation: Dont touch it.
  4. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

Let me assure you i had no intention of messing with this one, that's what i thought it was but wasn't sure.
  5. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

One of the awesome benefits of EVDO is 1Mbps download. Now why would anyone want to cut that in 1/4th? :p I suppose if you were running a rooted phone with apache on it and hosting a website off your droid and needed the upload speed, lol.
  6. skuzz

skuzz New Member

That menu also only applies to P_REV 6 1x data speeds, 1xRTT has a theoretical max of 153kbps and the ratio applies to how you allocate 1x speeds.

Nothing to do with EVDO at all.

EVDO HDR stuff is elsewhere.
  7. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

Meh, you're right skuzz. Shows you why I shouldnt post from work, :p
  8. windstrings

windstrings New Member

I looked at those settings too.... I can only guess....

Just from my limited experience messing with routers and Access Points... I noticed those settings were set to the widest parameters possible.

I"m guessing this gives us the widest speeds available without dropping call.

If we set it to only the highest/highest... then if we could acheive that connection, we would be good as it would avoid negotiating lower as long as the higher could be achieved.. but the negative is.... if the connection speed drops and your phone is only set to work at the highter rate... possibly the whole call would drop?

I'm comparing this to CTS rates on modems... "clear to send".

It appears the default setting would be the mostly likely to not Drop a call even though there may be times when it could go faster.... but as with any modem.... the faster rates are not allowed until the connection is strong enough/consistent enough that it can be trusted.
    I remember watching this allow when I downloaded a file back in the 7200 and 14.4 days!

Because if the network chooses too fast of a signal and then the signal weakens as you pass through some skyscrapers or drop down a hill you could lose the whole call.

This is only a guess... I really don't have a clue what I'm talking about... so if I'm wrong don't crucify me.... just educate me.

Sometimes brainstorming helps other guys to remember or collectively figure out some of this stuff.
  9. hebertm1

hebertm1 New Member

This sounds to me like Download/Upload speed. Changing the 153.6/9.6 to 153.6/153.6 would give you the same upload speed as your download speed. Really you do not need to upload with that bandwidth because you are mostly downloading.
  10. windstrings

windstrings New Member

Is that a download upload parameter?

That wouldn't make sense.... I was thinking it was the range of speeds the phone would allow without dropping the call?

Is this true the second number is about upload?
  11. nolsen311

nolsen311 New Member

@windstrings I think you may be right, which would explain why my voice calls always SUCK.

I've had it set at 153.6/153.6 for a *really* long time...and was wondering why Verizon's voice network sucks so much worse than ATT's.

(IMHO: ATT = bad data, excellent voice. VZW = excellent data, bad voice)

But if you are correct, then I should be getting better voice calls, now that I've set it back to "normal". I guess we'll see.
  12. windstrings

windstrings New Member

Definitely let us know......... I also have tried all the vocodecs and do like the EVRC-B best for my area at least.....
  13. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

In my experience it's been ATT = Bad Data, Bad Voice, HORRIBLE Customer Service

Verizon = Great Data, Great Voice, Great Customer Service
  14. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar New Member

I never used ATT, but I can say that sometimes verizon calls can cut out a lot and sound a little distorted sometimes, making it difficult to understand what someone is saying.
  15. windstrings

windstrings New Member

Are you using the EVRC-B vocodec?

If you don't know what i"m talking about, that means you are not.. because default is plain EVRC.... changing to the -B has improved things for alot of folks including myself.
  16. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar New Member

I changed it recently but im wondering if that only affects outgoing voice. I'll have to test it some more to check it.I think a lot of people I talk to just dint have high quality phones so their voice doesn't sound as good as mine.
  17. windstrings

windstrings New Member

It affects both.. but like you say..... you can only improve what you have to work with... your droid can send a pure tone to the tower and as long as the tower handles it well as well as all the rest of the network, they hear a good sound on their end.

But if they are sending trash or their network mishandles the quality, you only get what you get.. thats not your fault.

Trash in, trash out.
  18. luisdroid

luisdroid New Member

This might be completely wrong thinking, but if the upload speed was raised, doesnt that have a substantial impact on a "rooted" droids wifi tethering app?
  19. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar New Member

No. Uploading would be the amount of data the phone uploads to the network that reaches the internet.

The data being sent from the phone to the computer is a "local network" meaning it goes straight from the phone to the pc and vice versa. There shouldn't be any limits for the local network.

The limits we are describing in this menu should only affect data between the phone and the cellphone towers.

However, this option is useful if you are uploading a large file to the internet. Lets say you are using that Qik app or something to stream or upload videos. If you allowed greater upload vs your download, then your uploads should be faster.

Basically you are given a set amount of speed, which you can between your uploading and downloading. Putting more to uploading will slow your downloading, and more to downloads will sacrifice uploading speed.

Generally we download a lot more than we upload, and that is why the default setting is set to use more for downloading.
  20. luisdroid

luisdroid New Member

ok. That makes complete sense and in some way i already knew that, i just didn't want to believe it. i was extremely upset when i found out that tethering through wifi wasnt as great as i hoped.Thanks for the thorough reply though:)
Search tags for this page

data programming menu

data rate settings motorola droid program menu
droid programing best data rates
droid x program menu
hack data on droid incredible with program menu
how to program data menu on droid x