Data Plan Required.. The Answer is YES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
data is the only reason to even buy a droid....pointless thread!
I agree wholeheartedly, however you'd be amazed at the number of threads that still pop up with people either saying they want to find a way to activate their Droid without a data plan, or many misconceptions from people who state as fact that there is a 5GB cap on the data on their handhelds, when in reality it is a 5 GB cap for tethering and data cards.

sf9ers

Reaction score
i
logo.png

Unfortunately one of the larger complaints with the iPhone and AT&T is the required data plan that AT&T forces down your throat. Some were hoping Verizon might take a different approach but it appears they will do the same.

It's been confirmed that the Motorola Droid will arrive next week for $199 after rebate and signing a new 2-year contract. Customers will need a voice plan starting at $39 and a web and email plan (data plan) for $29 per month.
I don't know why people wouldn't want the unlimited data plan with this phone. So worth it.

Reaction score
i
logo.png

Unfortunately one of the larger complaints with the iPhone and AT&T is the required data plan that AT&T forces down your throat. Some were hoping Verizon might take a different approach but it appears they will do the same.

It's been confirmed that the Motorola Droid will arrive next week for $199 after rebate and signing a new 2-year contract. Customers will need a voice plan starting at $39 and a web and email plan (data plan) for $29 per month.
I don't know why people wouldn't want the unlimited data plan with this phone. So worth it.

That's so true. I'm not walking around saying i have the most money beacouse i dont. I just work alot and very hard. The real question is why wouldnt you want a data plan. Honestly if i wernt i would be worried as hell to see my bill fluxuate beacouse i was on the web with my B.B.M.F
Bonified Bad Mother F**ker A.K.A Das Droid. Id rather surf the web all day for 30 bucks a month. The same goes for insurance.

densbusa

Reaction score
i
logo.png

That's so true. I'm not walking around saying i have the most money beacouse i dont. I just work alot and very hard. The real question is why wouldnt you want a data plan. Honestly if i wernt i would be worried as hell to see my bill fluxuate beacouse i was on the web with my B.B.M.F
Bonified Bad Mother F**ker A.K.A Das Droid. Id rather surf the web all day for 30 bucks a month. The same goes for insurance.

Ipod touch.....

GdLkn84AS

Reaction score
Data or WiFi?

My only question is GPS? I'm all about saving my money, especially on a bill. I do pay for the data on my DROID. But, how would th GPS work unless you had mobile data? Just not use it? As far as I know, the DROID uses three systems for GPS: cell phone towers, wifi, and GPS Sat. If you are driving around and have to jump from hotspot to hotspot on wifi, how you gonna enter all those passwords in that quickly to keep on your route?

I assume those who dont want a data plan on the DROID, wouldn't use GPS? I'm assuming... IMO, Since VZW/Google has come out with their navs, I will never own a TomTom or Magellan*.

Sure you can look at the maps while your still, but if you wanted to NAV without a data plan, it would cost you $200-500 just to get there!

What would you do? I guess you could pre-load it, but thats a different discussion since you would lack features like traffic and such....

I'm curious to see what people say...

and P.S. - To those who say they are getting 8-25% off your VERIZON bill, that discount IS ONLY off you CALLING PLAN, not data plan or total bill!!! It's XX% off your total calling/voice charges. Check your bills and do the math! Verizon does not discount special features that are "extra". All VIP customers get 25% off accessories as far as I know.

P.S.S. - Sorry to keep draggin this thread on, lol!

Techenigma

Reaction score
and P.S. - To those who say they are getting 8-25% off your VERIZON bill, that discount IS ONLY off you CALLING PLAN, not data plan or total bill!!! It's XX% off your total calling/voice charges. Check your bills and do the math! Verizon does not discount special features that are "extra". All VIP customers get 25% off accessories as far as I know.

Not true... my employee discount through Hewlett Packard applies to my Voice, and Data plans. I confirmed it with a Verizon rep prior to purchasing my Droid, and confirmed it yet again when I call in to Customer Service about 2 weeks later. It depends on your particular discount through your employer, some cover extra's and some don't.

GdLkn84AS

Reaction score
[quote/]Not true... my employee discount through Hewlett Packard applies to my Voice, and Data plans. I confirmed it with a Verizon rep prior to purchasing my Droid, and confirmed it yet again when I call in to Customer Service about 2 weeks later. It depends on your particular discount through your employer, some cover extra's and some don't.[/quote]

Let me clarify, I never said employee discounts. And YES, many discounts offered ONLY apply to calling plans and no additional features. I work for Verizon as a Sales Rep. and as much as I hate to admit it, some of our Call Center Reps are not the brightest crayons in the box, so always double check info.

And also, when you read your bill, it will say, "You Saved XX% off your bill this month", this does not mean your entire bill, do your math to make sure you are getting the discount you were told. Every employer who recieves a discount through Verizon is done differently. Some are only 10% some are 50%. Some include all features, some only discount certain features, it depends on the contract your company has with Verizon...

And even though you may have confirmed this with someone, I would still do the math yourself. If it adds up, then great! Verizon discounts are badass!

Just FYI...

Markee

Reaction score
The employee plan provided to Ford Employees covers both the calling plan and the data plan... I hope this image puts this to rest...

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Not true... my employee discount through Hewlett Packard applies to my Voice, and Data plans. I confirmed it with a Verizon rep prior to purchasing my Droid, and confirmed it yet again when I call in to Customer Service about 2 weeks later. It depends on your particular discount through your employer, some cover extra's and some don't.

same here when i look at my bill i get my 24% discount on both the voice plan and the data plan on both lines.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I'm being charged 20 a month for my data plan. My family and I are still under a 500 minute smart pack alltel plan so our 3 smart phones get the data plans for 20 a month each. I had a VZW customer service rep compare what we have with a comparable new VZW plan, and what we have is cheaper.

deputc26

Reaction score
Change the misleading title of this post:mad:

THE ANSWER IS NO

I AM RUNNING MY DROID RIGHT NOW WITHOUT A DATA PLAN!

just buy a droid off eBay and all normal plans are open to you.

(deep breath)

spower

Reaction score
I work for Verizon Wireless and the data packages will be 29.99 for the standard use 44.99 for the enterprise user. Just like the BB.

Can you or someone please explain these to me? I am looking to do my upgrade to the Droid but I don't understand the difference between the $29.99 plan and the $44.99 plan.

Thanks!

It's not really explained on the VZW site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.