Data Plan Required.. The Answer is YES

Status
Not open for further replies.

iJroid

Reaction score
a lot of people on this forum sound like marketing mouthpieces for Verizon. Just because VZW doesn't allow this phone without a data plan doesn't make it right.

Like I said in an earlier post, I can sign up with a Nokia N900 (an equally powerful smart phone) without a data plan on T-Mobile and other carriers.

And I can even do prepaid plans with the N900.

You could get no plan and pay 600 bucks

MountainX

Reaction score
a lot of people on this forum sound like marketing mouthpieces for Verizon. Just because VZW doesn't allow this phone without a data plan doesn't make it right.

Like I said in an earlier post, I can sign up with a Nokia N900 (an equally powerful smart phone) without a data plan on T-Mobile and other carriers.

And I can even do prepaid plans with the N900.

You could get no plan and pay 600 bucks

The problem is that even when you do that, Verizon will not allow you to pick a plan without data, or to pick a prepaid plan. My point was that you can do this with AT&T or T-Mobile and the Nokia N900 and have a solution equal to the Droid on Verizon at a lot less cost.

Vladimir

Reaction score
why would you purchase a phone thats almost 80% internet dependent and then complain about data charges? lol!!! if Verizon offered pay per use internet option on this phone you know how many people would have $5000 bills? not to mention... this is one of the ways to make money back on the phone that is list priced at $569 and you are getting it for $199. :) as time moves along you will notice mobile broadband prices will move down, til then we just have to deal with it :(

bullygudrt

Reaction score
Of course this again assumes you are buying the phone via the contract and subsidized price. If you buy the phone outright, they can't force you to get the data plan.

MountainX

Reaction score
why would you purchase a phone thats almost 80% internet dependent and then complain about data charges? lol!!! if Verizon offered pay per use internet option on this phone you know how many people would have $5000 bills? not to mention... this is one of the ways to make money back on the phone that is list priced at $569 and you are getting it for $199. :) as time moves along you will notice mobile broadband prices will move down, til then we just have to deal with it :(

Sounds like you didn't read this thread.

MountainX

Reaction score
Of course this again assumes you are buying the phone via the contract and subsidized price. If you buy the phone outright, they can't force you to get the data plan.

Yes they do. That's exactly what my complaint is about. If you buy the phone outright you should be able to pick a prepaid plan or a voice plan without data. Everyone (including a Verizon employee) has told me that Verizon will not allow you to do this. (If anyone knows otherwise, please provide some evidence.)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Yes they do. That's exactly what my complaint is about. If you buy the phone outright you should be able to pick a prepaid plan or a voice plan without data. Everyone (including a Verizon employee) has told me that Verizon will not allow you to do this. (If anyone knows otherwise, please provide some evidence.)

Well you do know the other options.....at&t, sprint, t-mobile....

It comes down to if you want VZW service, you play by VZW rules....It's that simple. They have the best network hands down, which allows them to do what they want.

MountainX

Reaction score
It comes down to if you want VZW service, you play by VZW rules....It's that simple. They have the best network hands down, which allows them to do what they want.

Try taking your VZW phone with you when you travel outside the US and see if you think it is still a "hands down" decision. People on GSM networks can use their phones when they travel widely.

Where I live, T-Mobile is as good as VZW now, and many people think T-Mobile is in the lead for 4g networks in the US soon. I don't really know, but I'd be just as happy on T-Mobile as on VZW. (I have both right now.)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Try taking your VZW phone with you when you travel outside the US and see if you think it is still a "hands down" decision. People on GSM networks can use their phones when they travel widely

You mean IF they travel... When I travel outside the US I use a company phone.

As for 4G...How fast do you really need to dl on a cell?

MountainX

Reaction score
As for 4G...How fast do you really need to dl on a cell?

Seriously??? From someone who uses a Droid?

Personally I dream of supercomputer power in the palm of my hand with connectivity equal to 10 Gb Ethernet.

However, I'd be content with ubiquitous WiFi for now because that is faster than even 4G.

I cannot believe someone involved in a discussion of the leading edge smartphones would question the value of 4G. Even 4G will not be fast enough to deliver the full potential of what innovative developers will come up with.

Personally, I want a full Gigabit Ethernet connection from the backbone to my house. No wimpy DSL or cable modem will satisfy me. So you see where I'm coming from. ;)

However, on the practical side, I do agree with you that I can make do with 2g in certain situations (especially when free WiFi is not available and there is no pay as you go 3G plan).

The whole point of this thread is that we should be able to choose a plan that fits our needs. I would gladly pay for 4G if I could pay for it when I need it. If I have great WiFi coverage 25 days per month, I would not want to pay for 3G or 4G for a whole month -- every month -- for years.

But when I am traveling, I would pay for the fastest connection I can get, and if 4G is available (Sprint, anyone?) then I would pay for it on a pay as you go plan because I love the speed of a great data connection. I just do not like the lack of choice most US wireless operators offer their customers.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
That's all fine... but VZW has no reason at this time to change policy. Until that time comes... all the *****ing is falling on deaf ears.

iJroid

Reaction score

True that. Besides, Verizon has 3g coverage pretty near everywhere.
I live in the sticks in Maine and get two bars at my house, and full bars most other places. This is quite nice when your ISP has a bandwidth cap, or when you actually want news alerts while away from wifi. Sprint, not so much. You basically need to be in an actual city to get highspeed. May as well wardrive at that point.
You get the idea.

GThree

Reaction score
I'm content with paying the monthly fee for data out my ass 3G. When the price starts to increase little by little, is when I'll change my opinion. The president of AT&T, Ralp de la Vega, blames it's customers for poor service. He said that customers should understand how much data they're using, and should cut back. I love Verizon, and I don't plan on changing services any time soon.

Here is an article on Rapl de la Vega...

AT&T Now Blaming Customers for Its Problems - PC World Business Center

Status
Not open for further replies.