Data Plan Required.. The Answer is YES

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Yeah like I was saying...you purchased the i760's before they required data plans and since you were already entered in to a contract they cannot alter it. When I purchased mine for someone else (May of 2008), I made a point to refuse an additional data plan. No longer can you do that though as all carriers are enforcing data plans on all smartphones.

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I made a point to refuse an additional data plan. No longer can you do that though as all carriers are enforcing data plans on all smartphones.

Which is how it should be....No Data Plan makes a smart phone worthless...

Sogge

Reaction score
To me having data plan just seems the way to get the most out of the device. Unless the theres always going to be wi-fi nearby.
Data + Droid is like peanut butter + jelly?? :icon_ banana:

MountainX

Reaction score
.No Data Plan makes a smart phone worthless...

I disagree -- because smart phones have WiFi. I know a lot of people that buy unlocked smart phones and use them mainly or exclusively on WiFi. In fact, my situation is that I only need a cellular plan a few days a month. The rest of the time I have WiFi available. So it does not make sense for me to pay for a full monthly contract when I won't use it most of the time.

But I do agree that I need a data plan for those few days a month when I am traveling.

I'm looking for a prepaid solution (in USA). I will purchase my Droid (or Milestone) outright and then I would like to find a prepaid voice and data plan that will let me use ALL the phone's features.

Can anyone recommend a prepaid solution? :D

Are there any Droid features that won't work with WiFi as the only internet access?
Related question: does the GPS get a fix quickly when no internet is available at all?

gritts

Reaction score
How "required" is required? I have read this entire thread, and there hasn't seemed to be a clear answer to this question:

If you buy an unlocked Droid or Droid Eris off of, say, eBay, and then go about entering the ESN into Verizon's site (an action that would normally activate the phone on the network,) what would happen? What would stop this phone from being active WITHOUT a data plan?

Thanks!

88Droid

Reaction score
once you enter the esn on vzw.com, it will ask what features you want included with the phone (texting, ringback, etc..) and then it will have a selection box for data that says "YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE." you can't continue the activation process without choosing a data plan.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Related question: does the GPS get a fix quickly when no internet is available at all?

Sure, but no data/wifi....No Maps. Unless you have them preloaded....

dezixn

Reaction score
I work for Verizon Wireless as a independent contractor.

Our system automatically puts smartphones underneath the $29.99 data package. The reason for this is that these phones are utterly useless if they do not have the internet on them.

Blackberry's for instant. Why would you want that phone for just texting and making calls? It can do so many more things! Their are so many other phones that are way better for talking and texting on (i.e. LG Env3, Samsung Intensity, Nokia Twist and so on). Blackberry's are known for their awesome abilities with email due to their outstanding push notifications.

I have a Apple iPhone 3g that is now deactivated (AT&T's network is a joke). I still carry the iPhone with me due to the fact that I just use it as a ipod touch. Over 90% of the phone is utterly useless without having data on it. So many applications are based on having a live internet connection to work. So whenever I'm nowhere near a wifi hotspot, the phone becomes pretty much an expensive paper weight.

Now the droid is the same way, I had to wait 4 days before it could be switched onto my demo plan. I still carried the phone around to play on it, but once again, I got bored really quick with it.

I constantly have customers coming in and wanting to get smart phones without a data package and they are irate that Verizon automatically charges when you switch to a smartphone. It just gets real frustrating because these phones were designed to be a.... drumroll please.... smartphone!

I just think most people want to get these phones just to have the "image" drives me crazy lol.

What is you guys opinion on this?

oh and also, happy thanksgiving!

I don't understand why everyone is all uppity about a data plan. Here's my thing...
The droid has wifi, as do pretty much all of the smart phones now adays. All of these "cool" "extra" features on them require internet access. Now for me, I am blanketed in wireless networks all day. I wake up at home (covered in wireless by my wireless router), I drive to college(no wireless obviously, but I don't play with my phone while driving for obvious reasons), I get to college where every building and every bathroom and every blade of grass has wireless access.
Now explain to me why I would need a data plan? I see the point of people using it on accident and ending up with HUGE bills. But why can't they simply disable using data on the verizon network and only allow wifi for data? You could retain your ability to do regular texting and calling through their network and keep your regular bill, and then use all the extra stuff through wifi!

I went to verizon today to try and see if I could do that. But nope, data plan required, even though it makes NO SENSE for my situation. College kid hopefully entering into a professional school soon, no way I need an extra $30 on my bill. Needless to say I'm pissed, was really looking forward to a "cool" phone for once.
Sure I could get an ipod touch or zune HD... But then I'd have to be carrying my old phone and the ipod touch would just be an accessory. The different is you almost always bring your phone with you, you don't always bring your mp3 player with you (well not to the degree that you keep your phone with you).

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I went to verizon today to try and see if I could do that. But nope, data plan required, even though it makes NO SENSE for my situation. College kid hopefully entering into a professional school soon, no way I need an extra $30 on my bill. Needless to say I'm pissed, was really looking forward to a "cool" phone for once.

If $30 is going to break you then maybe a flip phone is better suited....It's really that simple...

medicTHREE

Reaction score

If $30 is going to break you then maybe a flip phone is better suited....It's really that simple...

What a bunch of uppity bull****. Seriously dude. Your opinion on this is a waste of space. Your response is to verge on insulting people if they disagree on this subject. I am sure I can say with the majority of forum members that we are sick of your posts on this subject.

This "feature" requirement isn't VZW looking out for us, or them trying to make sure we get the most out of our phone. It is simply a company looking for another way to make money off of customers. I don't have a problem paying for a data plan, but some might. There are lots of features using a smartphone that could be used sans data plan. Back in the day I used a Treo 650 without a data plan for a about 6 months and it was still highly functional. A phone WITH WiFi would be even better sans data plan.

I don't care what Verizon's Talking points say.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
What a bunch of uppity bull****. Seriously dude. Your opinion on this is a waste of space. Your response is to verge on insulting people if they disagree on this subject. I am sure I can say with the majority of forum members that we are sick of your posts on this subject.

Sorry if the Truth stings... The whole data plan thing has been beaten to death in multiple treads on multiple forums....The answer is the same and no amount of crying that "I can get by with just wifi" is going to change anything.

I've never been one to sugarcoat the truth, And I am sorry if I've offended anyone by speaking my mind.

medicTHREE

Reaction score

Sorry if the Truth stings... The whole data plan thing has been beaten to death in multiple treads on multiple forums....The answer is the same and no amount of crying that "I can get by with just wifi" is going to change anything.

I've never been one to sugarcoat the truth, And I am sorry if I've offended anyone by speaking my mind.

No, You've chosen this to be your pedestal on this and think it is important for you to respond to every single person who disagrees with you. The irony is that if enough people complain, verizon would in the end bend the rules, because the end goal is more contracts and more phone sales.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
No, You've chosen this to be your pedestal on this and think it is important for you to respond to every single person who disagrees with you. The irony is that if enough people complain, verizon would in the end bend the rules, because the end goal is more contracts and more phone sales.

Seems your on one too with your point of view...I have my point just as you have yours.

MountainX

Reaction score
That's $720 over the term of a contract and when I was a student I was living on student loans. Which means that by the time I paid back $720, it would probably be around $1400 with interest.

If WiFi is available around campus, then spending that money for a data plan is not a smart move for a student.

With the Nokia N900, I can stick in my T-Mobile SIM card and use WiFi. The SIM card gives me voice access at about $100/yr (prepaid - I get 1000 minutes and they last me about a year). I can use Skype and/or Gizmo/GV with WiFi for a lot of my voice calls. I can also use all the phone's smartphone and computer features (except GPS atm) with WiFi. So a data plan is just not needed. (The phone companies are apparently brainwashing people about these data plans as evidenced by the non-thinking replies on this and other forums.)

BTW, the N900 is probably a better phone for a college student, especially if you are studying computer science or engineering or something like that -- or if you love technology and can tinker with it. Buy an unlocked N900 and it will save you a lot of money in the long run if you can use a low cost voice plan and WiFi. Check out maemo.org.

EDIT:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/2...versus-htc-hd2-versus-motorola-droid-five.htm
Smartphone Wars: Nokia N900 versus HTC HD2 versus Motorola Droid
But now the final whistle has been blown and it is time to announce the winner of the slugfest. That's right, folks! The fight has been long, bloody and closely contested but only one phone has emerged as the winner, albeit bruised, and that is - the Nokia N900.
That's right folks!! The N900 is the king of the square ring as it packs killer punches such as the revolutionary Maemo platform, a camera with excellent optics and features, 32GB internal storage, and choices of a full Qwerty tactile keyboard as well as a virtual onscreen keyboard.

Last edited:

dezixn

Reaction score

See what I mean about people being uppity? Your comment has almost no pertinence to the subject at hand. All you are doing is throwing personal insults out to those of us that don't have cash to burn. You know damn well that $30 for data is worthless in a lot of cases.

This "feature" requirement isn't VZW looking out for us, or them trying to make sure we get the most out of our phone. It is simply a company looking for another way to make money off of customers. I don't have a problem paying for a data plan, but some might. There are lots of features using a smartphone that could be used sans data plan. Back in the day I used a Treo 650 without a data plan for a about 6 months and it was still highly functional. A phone WITH WiFi would be even better sans data plan.

I don't care what Verizon's Talking points say.

Thank you, someone using some logic for once.

That's $720 over the term of a contract and when I was a student I was living on student loans. Which means that by the time I paid back $720, it would probably be around $1400 with interest.

If WiFi is available around campus, then spending that money for a data plan is not a smart move for a student.

With the Nokia N900, I can stick in my T-Mobile SIM card and use WiFi. The SIM card gives me voice access at about $100/yr (prepaid - I get 1000 minutes and they last me about a year). I can use Skype and/or Gizmo/GV with WiFi for a lot of my voice calls. I can also use all the phone's smartphone and computer features (except GPS atm) with WiFi. So a data plan is just not needed. (The phone companies are apparently brainwashing people about these data plans as evidenced by the non-thinking replies on this and other forums.)

BTW, the N900 is probably a better phone for a college student, especially if you are studying computer science or engineering or something like that -- or if you love technology and can tinker with it. Buy an unlocked N900 and it will save you a lot of money in the long run if you can use a low cost voice plan and WiFi. Check out maemo.org.

EDIT:
Smartphone Wars: Nokia N900 versus HTC HD2 versus Motorola Droid (5) | IBTimes
Smartphone Wars: Nokia N900 versus HTC HD2 versus Motorola Droid
But now the final whistle has been blown and it is time to announce the winner of the slugfest. That's right, folks! The fight has been long, bloody and closely contested but only one phone has emerged as the winner, albeit bruised, and that is - the Nokia N900.
That's right folks!! The N900 is the king of the square ring as it packs killer punches such as the revolutionary Maemo platform, a camera with excellent optics and features, 32GB internal storage, and choices of a full Qwerty tactile keyboard as well as a virtual onscreen keyboard.

Yeah, $720 over 2 years, + the $100 or $200 you pay to buy the phone through verizon, not to mention your basic calling/texting plan monthly fee. You could buy the phone retail and still come out ahead if you could avoid the $720 by doing this lol!

N900 looks like a damn cool phone. A few problems though... From what I read it doesn't look like it works with verizon. That and I would have to pay $550 or something to find an unlocked version.

Status
Not open for further replies.