Data Plan Required.. The Answer is YES

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by danDroid, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. medicTHREE

medicTHREE Member

Ratings:
    +0
    30 dollar plan is personal, 45 dollar is enterprise(business). If you have your own account you are fine. If you are tied to a business(not just business discount) then you pay 45 a month. Both are "unlimited" and offer 5 gb a month.

2. medicTHREE

medicTHREE Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the triple post.

This is actually wrong. Standard 30 dollar plan can use Microsoft Exchange with the Droid just fine. No need to pay 45 bucks for something that works at 30. This is the same with WinMo phones.

3. medicTHREE

medicTHREE Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. flcastillo1975

flcastillo1975 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    actually they do dont require u to get a data plan. you can purchase the phone and get just a voice plan, but why????? there are a lot of decent phones out there for those purposes only.... this phone screams for a data plan..... why buy it otherweise

5. Rewlaz

Rewlaz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say that I have the Palm 650 and I DON"T have a data plan. In fact, the reason why I bought my Palm, instead of a BB, was the fact that I had an option to pay for or not pay for a data plan (650 is my second Palm). I have a lot of use for my Palm without having to go online with it. I think having to pay for data plan is B.S., it should be my choice. Just because I don't have a data plan does not mean I can't afford it.

6. Guindalf

Guindalf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The data plan requirement was instituted about a year ago. To my knowledge, there is no more PAYG option. I had (and still own) a Motorola Q9m which I bought when it first came out and there was no requirement to have data then.

I had issues with the store I bought it from and ended up on the phone with VZW directly. The girl told me that the PAYG plan was dangerous and some people were getting $1600 phone bills due to the phone connecting to data for long periods without the user's knowledge, so I had it disabled. Apart from it being so ugly to use, I never really got any benefit from having a smartphone, but I'm loving the new Droid.

I even found out that employees of my company get an 8% discount on their bill, so with four phones (one with data), I'll get close to $10 off my bill, making the extra for the data around $20. Bargain.

7. space

space New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not true. I commute and work in rural NM and have zero use for the data plan, as I spend much of my time outside the 3G network. The rest of my time I spend around wifi access points.

I was on the phone with VZW customer service and tech support for about an hour today. I got various levels of sympathy, but ultimately no luck: IF you have a PDA on their network, THEN you must have a data plan. That's their policy, take it or leave it.

Adios, Droid. You were a very cool phone, but I will not pay $360/yr for non-existent 3G coverage. It's truly unfortunate that Verizon is shafting its rural customers this way.

8. Big Cam

Big Cam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, the standard unlimited data plan is $29 which is a good deal if you ask me, I believe the iphone hasa higher rates.

9. garrett

garrett Silver Member
    Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +5

iphone data plan is 30 bucks

10. Varking

Varking Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Blackberry Storm and I am part of a "Family Plan" under my fathers name. When we called the rep today and told them what our plan was, and that I already pay 29.99 extra a month for my phone due to requiring the data plan, he told us that to upgrade to the droid I don't have to pay any extra voice or data plans. He meant that I would end up just continuing to share minutes as part of our "voice" plan, but that I would continue to pay 29.99 extra and nothing more.

Previously I had been worried that I would have to pay for a 39.99 voice plan, plus the 29.99 data plan, meaning I would be paying 70 a month extra. That was apparently not the case. Only thing that sucks now is that I have to wait until Christmas to actually get the phone and until then I have to stick it out with the Storm.

11. Markee

Markee Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My Verizon Motorola Droid shows up tomorrow. Have been on the Motorola website and the verizon website but I don't see any Media docking stations available for order... Where would be the best place to get the docking station? Where can I see the details. Thanks.

12. numerouno

numerouno New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking about getting the droid but I am the add a line on our plan which means my phone costs 10 dollars a month. What would be the cost if I were to switch to unlimited text and data?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
does a droid 2 need a data plan
does droid phone require data plan
does motorola android x2 require data package?
does motorola droid a855 require a data plan

does the motorola droid a855 need a data plan

does the motorola droid a855 require a data plan

how much data is required for dataplan
lg-vs600 flashed activate without data plan
required data plan are a joke
whats the lowest verizon data package