Data Plan Required.. The Answer is YES

Status
Not open for further replies.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Change the misleading title of this post:mad:

THE ANSWER IS NO

I AM RUNNING MY DROID RIGHT NOW WITHOUT A DATA PLAN!

just buy a droid off eBay and all normal plans are open to you.

(deep breath)

Wrong. Stop spreading misinformation. Verizon can see exactly which phone you're using and will automatically tack on the data plan to your next bill. People, there is no way around this. If you don't want to pay for data, buy a dumbphone and an ipod touch.

patriot839

Reaction score
They provide a service they have the best and largest 3g network so we can have fast web anywhere that's not free for them its foolish to complain that they are not donating it if you don't want to pay for a data plan go back to your lame ass clam shell LG or whatever lame phone you had otherwise pay the. Price and be grateful for such a great network and a sweet fn phone

Vladimir

Reaction score
the 44$ data plan is for exchange servers, so its more for corporate use than person, 29 is the same thing but will not work on corp exchange servers.... make sense?

spower

Reaction score
the 44$ data plan is for exchange servers, so its more for corporate use than person, 29 is the same thing but will not work on corp exchange servers.... make sense?

Yes I think so..so for the $29, is that also unlimited? I guess the wording "web browsing" has me a little nervous, I just don't want to rack up any "additional" charges.

Vladimir

Reaction score
unlimited data, email and web....I had almost 1.8gb of data use and no extra charges :)

Techenigma

Reaction score
unlimited data, email and web....I had almost 1.8gb of data use and no extra charges :)

well even if it wasn't unlimited (which it is for smartphones, unless you tether) the allotted data usage would be 5Gb per month which is the cap for their normal data plan for netbooks, etc. 5Gb is a heck of alot to use even downloading files, and web browsing constantly on a smartphone. I use mine practically all day and have just broken the 2Gb barrier.

deputc26

Reaction score
edit: Information has been classified.

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Using my Droid with the $29 plan and connected to my corporate exchange server.

gcburns

Reaction score
The reason we want this???

I dont understand the people saying "Why would you buy a smartphone if you dont want the data" Answer - A hell of a lot more reasons than I would buy one for the data.

Wifi is everywhere. Especially in bed or at a bar like BW3s. The two places I'd most likely use the phones internet.

But Its not about the Internet!

1st - New Smartphones are great MP3 players. Its a lot easier to have one device always with you than to lug 2 everywhere. My last 2 mp3 players were stolen. I've never lost a phone.

2nd - New smartphones have the best phone cameras. Yet another device I dont need.

3rd - New smartphones have the best text messaging features - scroll screen conversation mode. Something I use a lot.

4th - New smartphones would make for great GPS units when necessary. But I'm not used to paying $30 a month to receive a free GPS signal.

Instead of Verizon and Att mandating Data plans, why not just auto-shut down the phones 3G data when its not paid for? Oh, yeah. Not effective at getting money.

Last edited:

gcburns

Reaction score
Exchange Server

Using my Droid with the $29 plan and connected to my corporate exchange server.

Your accessing email through the web. Any company with an Exchange Server should have remote web access for email set up. Which you can easily access through a web page with the $29 plan.

Exchange authenticates people to a company's entire network. So they could go to sites, be recognized, view content related to them, access restricted areas.

Answer: If you just need email, and your company has remote web access, you're fine with the $29 plan. If you need access to the company internal websites and applications, you need the $44 plan.

Last edited:

Mayratib044

Reaction score
In the documentary we watched, it never mentioned the risks of incidents that could be caused. Thanks for the info.

waymon

Reaction score
I dont understand the people saying "Why would you buy a smartphone if you dont want the data" Answer - A hell of a lot more reasons than I would buy one for the data.

Wifi is everywhere. Especially in bed or at a bar like BW3s. The two places I'd most likely use the phones internet.

But Its not about the Internet!

1st - New Smartphones are great MP3 players. Its a lot easier to have one device always with you than to lug 2 everywhere. My last 2 mp3 players were stolen. I've never lost a phone.

2nd - New smartphones have the best phone cameras. Yet another device I dont need.

3rd - New smartphones have the best text messaging features - scroll screen conversation mode. Something I use a lot.

4th - New smartphones would make for great GPS units when necessary. But I'm not used to paying $30 a month to receive a free GPS signal.

Instead of Verizon and Att mandating Data plans, why not just auto-shut down the phones 3G data when its not paid for? Oh, yeah. Not effective at getting money.

Exactly,

I don't see how everyone isnt in agreement when it comes to having a smartphone with no data. WiFi is everywhere!!

On a typical day I am without wireless internet for about 40 minutes, no need to pay 30 a month for that.

I would much rather spend 200-300 bucks for the phone and pay 20 a month for service.

There are so many apps and features that the phone has that are possible without internet that I would love to use.

I want to get the droid and a prepaid sim card, and just use my google voice number and be just dandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.