Data missing from EXTERNAL SD card after reboot (undock/dock)?

RCKT82

Reaction score
I had the same problem with the DROID 3, I went through two replacements before getting rid of the phone completely. I now have the Bionic witht he same issues, I'm guessing it's a bug in the phone since the Droid 3 and Bionic are almost identical minus the 4G and keyboard. I use my external SD card for media (music, pictures, videos, personal files...). I store over 20GB of data on the card. Everytime I undock the SD card or reboot the phone I have missing data from the card when it is re-docked. I can't find any patterns. The amount of data, type of file, and number of items changes each time. I lose anywhere between 50 MB -1 GB of data after each re-dock. My phone just randomly deletes/loses files. It's pretty annoying, I'm always reloading my card with my media files. I'm to the point where I don't want to store anything on the external card. If I put the files on the internal sd card, I don't have the data loss issue. On the same note, I have many problems with apps receiving an intermittent write access error to the external. Sometimes they write just fine to it... others, no luck. I've tried reformatting the card in the phone and also through my pc using a card reader. No luck with these different formatting procedures. I've tried three different brands of SD cards and three different size and class cards. same issue on all three. Has anyone experienced data loss on the external data card and have you found a cause or solution???

Psychlone

Reaction score
I'm in IT and own 2 computer repair shops, and I'll tell you my experience.

I've had several customers lose ALL their data from their SD cards on several occasions, and they brought their cards to me to see if I could retrieve their data.
Now, let me just get this out of the way, I've been in IT for over 27 years, and am *very* good at data recovery/disaster recovery, I have all the tools and software necessary to even do platter swaps for HDDs if/when necessary, and even despite all my experience, I've YET to retrieve data from one of these failed cards.

Like you said, there's no rhyme nor reason to the erasures - these have all been different capacity cards and different classes, but moreso, from different phones - the only thing in common was that they all were Android 2.3 or 2.4.

Now, in my years, I've recovered data from many XD cards, many SD (all the flavors of SD), and many other cards including miniHD, but I've never had such failures as I have with the MicroSD's from the Droids.
For me, the obvious answer has to be the phone's OS is losing data somehow - seeing as how that's the *only* thing that I can come up with in common with all these failures, but I'm just not so sure... the only other thing that stays in the top of my mind is hardware malfunction - meaning the card itself fails at some point, possibly due to static shock or simply a manufacturer defect.

I, too, would LOVE some other input as to ideas on how/what is causing this issue! At least I'd have something I could tell my customers.

gsDroid

Reaction score
I've never lost microsd card data in two years with the original Droid and now the Bionic. This is not something that seems to be widespread. Do you have usb debugging enabled? The OP loses some data while the second poster refers to losing ALL data. These may be different issues.