Data Manager missing in System Settings menu

Inexplicable

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia Z3v
Twitter
@Inexplicable_1
I'm dismayed to see so many posts on the DROID4... What in hell is going on? It's overall a great phone, but it seems there are so many bugs!

My problem: I lose 4G or 3G connection a lot - especially when trying to navigate Facebook or a web page. It just hangs up, and I'm in an area with great coverage in Boston... Hell - I work in the "Innovation District" where there are cell repeaters attached to an old smoke stack an 1/8 of a mile away - in view from my desk!

So, I have been poking around on forums, and one suggested to adjust my Data settings. Guess what? My "Data Manager" menu item is missing in my System Settings.

Argh!!!

outsid0r

Reaction score
under system settings... its called data usage... helps to know what your looking for in ICS

OP
Inexplicable

Inexplicable

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia Z3v
Twitter
@Inexplicable_1
under system settings... its called data usage... helps to know what your looking for in ICS

OK, so my first post on here and I get a derisive response from someone with a superiority complex. Great.

I had easily already found my Data Usage link. However, it seems that since the forced push a few months back to the new Android software update (or redo actually) there are some wierd things happening.

When I go to "Data Usage", I'm simply looking at a usage chart and a list of apps and how much data they used. I no longer have a setting that allows me to limit data usage unless I'm on wifi, or another setting for allowing global roaming. I used to be able to change these settings. I can no longer find where to get to these settings.

The update to the DROID4 OS sucks loudly.

Here is my MENU list:

Wireless & Networks
Airplane Mode
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
Tehrering & Mobile Hotspot
Data Usage
More...
- VPN
- Mobile Networks

Device
Sound
Display
Storage
Battery
Apps

Personal
Accounts & Sync
Backup Assistant PLus
Device Setup
Location Services
Security
Language & Input
Privacy

System
Date & Time
Printer Settings
Accessibility
Developer Options
About Phone

So that's it. There is no Data Manager setting anymore. I might be out to lunch, but I can't find any settings which allow me to adjust the way data is used or limited any more. This is all in an attempt to tweak a setting or two in hopes of finding out why my phone keeps having such a hard time staying connected to the internet.

outsid0r

Reaction score
i apologize for how my comment was worded. Once in data usage there is an option to set mobile data limit where if you slide the orage and yellow lines up or down they help you set your limits.

OP
Inexplicable

Inexplicable

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia Z3v
Twitter
@Inexplicable_1
I'm familiar with those slider bars. In the previous interation of the OS, we used to be able to set check boxes for whether or not data intensive programs would only run when in a WiFi zone. In addition, Global Roaming - another data setting, is missing (unless I just haven't been able to find it. I still don't understand why Motorola/Verizon figured that all we Droid4 users needed a new interface where everything was all switched around and the intuitive nature of things reorganized, as if to challenge us to stay interested long enough for another version to come out.

outsid0r

Reaction score
Motorola/Verizon did not change the interface, ICS was created by Google and motorola only skins it. they only can do so much customization.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Inexplicable said:
I'm familiar with those slider bars. In the previous interation of the OS, we used to be able to set check boxes for whether or not data intensive programs would only run when in a WiFi zone. In addition, Global Roaming - another data setting, is missing (unless I just haven't been able to find it. I still don't understand why Motorola/Verizon figured that all we Droid4 users needed a new interface where everything was all switched around and the intuitive nature of things reorganized, as if to challenge us to stay interested long enough for another version to come out.

I agree, it can be confusing. Even after months since ICS, I still find myself looking for settings where they once were and some are just plain buried. I really like ICS and the new UI. It is much more efficient in how it uses its resources but I still get frustrated at times.

I'm on a Razr M, so some things may be a little different but hopefully it will help point you in the right direction...

1. “ we used to be able to set check boxes for whether or not data intensive programs would only run when in a WiFi zone." In settings, go to “Data usage" then go to the menu (upper right). Enable “show WiFi usage." Click on the WiFi tab and you can click on each of the programs listed and then check “restrict background data." Edit: actually, under the “Mobile" tab, you can click on each of these programs to do the same exact thing.

2. “Global Roaming - another data setting, is missing..." In settings, select “more..." (under data usage) ---> mobile networks ---> network mode ---> select LTE/CDMA (you will maintain a better connection if the phone is only searching for 3g or 4g, rather than searching additional numerous gsm networks).

3. “I still don't understand why Motorola/Verizon figured that all we Droid4 users needed a new interface." It doesn't really matter if it's Motorola/Verizon or Google (Motorola and Google are basically the same these days anyway), this change has frustrated many. You are not the only one. I personally like the change and it does make better usage of resources and dual core. One of the biggest faults of the ICS release is that it should have required a factory data reset...because the change is so drastic and such a completely different OS, that it has wreaked havoc with many conflicts between the old GB settings and new ICS...whereas an fdr forces a very smooth working phone and fixes any problems.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The other nice thing is when you click inn each of the programs listed under the Mobile or WiFi tab, you can see exactly how much background data that program it's using. For instance, my Facebook uses very little foreground data (because I check it once a day, maybe) but uses tons more background data. This is a perfect example of a program to restrict background data....which I just did.

View attachment 58523

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
Gotta love the menu key. Opens all kinds of awesome stuff up. Just sucks that newer phones have done away with it. :p

Looks like if you want to restrict background data, you do have to set a mobile data limit first.

It's a bit roundabout, but it looks like you can still restrict stuff in the ICS interface. Just got all moved around. This thread actually made me go digging around and I learned all kinds of neat stuff! Whenever my unlimited data plan is pried from my contract's cold dead hands, I'll have to put this features to work. :D

GotnFX

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
1. “ we used to be able to set check boxes for whether or not data intensive programs would only run when in a WiFi zone." In settings, go to “Data usage" then go to the menu (upper right). Enable “show WiFi usage." Click on the WiFi tab and you can click on each of the programs listed and then check “restrict background data." Edit: actually, under the “Mobile" tab, you can click on each of these programs to do the same exact thing.

Was just about to post why am I am getting a "restricted background data" warning when I searched and came across this post. Checked under data usage and set mobile data limit was checked...I don't recall ever doing this since I still have unlimited data..oh well. Glad I searched first...:)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I don't remember but I think it may be set by default. I know I never set it but also had to go and uncheck it.