Data issues?

davishusband

Reaction score
Counseling will not help you ladies, lol! I am sure we all have seen it verizon plans on doubling the cap or something. I have been told I overeat at the unlimited data buffet, 20 gb a month. I feel bad for you two giggers that's just a light snack. We really need to stop blaming netflix, it's a great service. We need to stop blaming data obese users like myself. Throttling us is not the answer but building a better service is.

Droid3Guy

Reaction score
I heard that they're going to double it for those who have, or want to get, a 4G phone. We droid 3 users won't be affected I don't think. I've wondered for a while how Verizon can advertise their 4G through these commercials, and talk about all the things you can do with it, when they have a cap on their data anyway. You can't use 4G to the potential they like to advertise, and stay under the cap, unless you don't mind going over it and paying a lot extra a month, imo.

Reaction score
I thought that all existing unlimited 3g users would be able to upgrade to a 4g device and still keep unlimited data?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

jgsinc1

Reaction score
Data Issues

I have just gotten off the phone with Verizon. As we all know you speak to one person and get one answer speak to another and get another answer. So for what it is worth it only applies to new customers. If you have unlimited you will continue to have unlimited for now. They are not doubling the price of the plan for 4g LTE they are doubling the amount you can use, example if you have the 2gb you will get 4gb, 5gb will go to 10gb and 10gb will go to 20gb. And it is for a limited time only. Once you are on that plan you will get to keep that plan.

I have looked at the phone and for my area there is not much difference in speed to pay the higher price for the phone.

OP
davishusband

davishusband

Reaction score
I have just gotten off the phone with Verizon. As we all know you speak to one person and get one answer speak to another and get another answer. So for what it is worth it only applies to new customers. If you have unlimited you will continue to have unlimited for now. They are not doubling the price of the plan for 4g LTE they are doubling the amount you can use, example if you have the 2gb you will get 4gb, 5gb will go to 10gb and 10gb will go to 20gb. And it is for a limited time only. Once you are on that plan you will get to keep that plan.

I have looked at the phone and for my area there is not much difference in speed to pay the higher price for the phone.

I think most people already knew that, if u are on unlimited u are grandfathered in. I kmow people that pay 10 dollars a month unlimited because they were on a plan that belonged to a company that verizon bought and they still kept their plans. I am glad I have unlimited.

Erikbal

Reaction score
Wow some of you guys use a lot! I rarely touch 1 gig a month! I don't stream or download music or use netflix either though and when Im home Im usually on wifi, not cuz I'm worried about the data but simply because it's faster. Also most of my friends have wifi at their houses too so I use it when I'm there as well. When I first got my phone it was like 3 months after they got rid of the unlimited which sucks, but I was worried if 2gigs would be enough and it's more than enough. QUICK QUESTION though..does using the gps on google maps use a LOT of data? Say I went on an 8 hour round trip and used my gps the whole time, any idea how much data I'd use? That's mainly the big reason I'm pissed I don't have unlimited.

John.Edwards

Reaction score
I guess in a way I am lucky 3G is so slow in NYC. I get at best 512Kbps most of the time (typically closer to 200) and just use wifi. Took a weekend trip to a better service location and I could see how with 2.5Mbps download you could burn through a lot of data... But with this piss poor 3G service I cannot see how any user could get close to 1 GB. I am actually considering dumping the unlimited plan and getting one of the cheaper minimum plans.

doogald

Reaction score
I am actually considering dumping the unlimited plan and getting one of the cheaper minimum plans.

I am paying $30 for unlimited, but the cheapest current smartphone data plan is 2 GB - for $30. So, there is nothing cheaper at the moment.

doogald

Reaction score
My unlimited is 45. not sure why.

As I recall, they used to tack on an extra $15 for exchange server syncing (for some reason - because they could, I guess.) You may be able to get that removed and still keep the $30 unlimited? Worth a call or a check of your plan online, I guess.

I'm like you - I have unlimited but the most I have ever used is about 500 MB. I am near WiFi most of the time that I am using data, but even that I don't use that much. However, I figure that having unlimited is worth it for as long as they let me keep it.

OP
davishusband

davishusband

Reaction score
I am paying $30 for unlimited, but the cheapest current smartphone data plan is 2 GB - for $30. So, there is nothing cheaper at the moment.

My unlimited is $29.99. They told me when I went to get my new phone that I could pay a penny more and get 2gb. I would have been a real dummy to take that offer. Especially since I use 20 gigabytes a month. I use netflix, skype, and I love watching youtube videos. I'm a truck driver so i don't have a option of free wifi like a lot of people. I feel terrible for people that don't get unlimited. I am thankful I am grandfathered in.

Proud of my bloated D3, I don't miss unstable roms on my D1 at all!

Erikbal

Reaction score
Lol wow you'd have to be a real moron to agree to that. It sucks if I would have gotten my phone like 2-3 months sooner I would have gotten unlimited and been grandfathered in. I guess it's not a big deal though because I'm on wifi a lot and don't think even the first month I got the phone I used a gig and haven't ever. The only reason I REALLY wish I had unlimited was for traveling. I have no idea how much data I'd use on like an 8 hour trip using my gps the whole time but I'd like to not have to worry about it.

acoers

Reaction score
yeah i just got the droid 3 in july right after they changed everything. So i only got 2gb of data and usually use about 1.5gb's. Most of the time im in wifi so im good. and if im going to download something big i do it over wifi. I tried calling when i heard twice the data for the same price of 2gb but like they say its only if you get a 4g phone. I asked her if i had a 4g phone and only had 2gb of data could she change it? And she said she could, all she had to do is put some 4g code into my plan. Hopefully they will have this deal again when i get my next phone.

Droid3Guy

Reaction score
I actually did better than I thought I would this past month. Today is the last day of my first cycle with this phone and I'm just under 1GB of data for the cycle. It sucks, but I guess you have to train yourself to not go overboard streaming anything or playing videos when you're not near wifi. I still played some videos and streamed on occasion but not enough to kill me I guess.

OP
davishusband

davishusband

Reaction score
I think I'm only gonna hit 15 gigabytes this month I'm only going on 10 now.
j6Tu3fvsa84Iz.jpg