Data enabled turning off

OP
spaberlejr

spaberlejr

Reaction score
jtc303 said:
Does it revert to 3G or is data totally disabled?

The network indicator at the top of the phone where it says 3g and 4 g completely disappears and I have to re-enable data access under settings

jtc303

Reaction score
spaberlejr said:
The network indicator at the top of the phone where it says 3g and 4 g completely disappears and I have to re-enable data access under settings

In JD... advanced-triggers do you have Screen enabled?

wdw4mealso

Reaction score
This happened to me for about 7 straight days. I called in after a few days, and made 5 additional calls. The first time they told me to do a soft reset- holding the power and down volume buttons at the same time. That worked for a few hours. Next thing was to set a mobile data limit- I put it over 20gb. That also worked for a few hours. Next they said pull the sim card. Again, a few hours. Each time I would get a message saying I hit my data limit, or it would just disable the data. The last thing they said to do, before they escalated it to Motorola was a factory reset. I am skeptical of those since it takes awhile to get everything the way it was. HOWEVER...someone in another thread said that with ICS their phone returned to exactly the way it was. So I backed up my text messages, took out the memory card and reset it. As usual it took some time, but everything returned to the way it was and I have had no problems since.

I wish you luck as I know how frustrating it can be. For over a week I was ready to throw the phone a few times. Hope that helps!

OP
spaberlejr

spaberlejr

Reaction score
wdw4mealso said:
This happened to me for about 7 straight days. I called in after a few days, and made 5 additional calls. The first time they told me to do a soft reset- holding the power and down volume buttons at the same time. That worked for a few hours. Next thing was to set a mobile data limit- I put it over 20gb. That also worked for a few hours. Next they said pull the sim card. Again, a few hours. Each time I would get a message saying I hit my data limit, or it would just disable the data. The last thing they said to do, before they escalated it to Motorola was a factory reset. I am skeptical of those since it takes awhile to get everything the way it was. HOWEVER...someone in another thread said that with ICS their phone returned to exactly the way it was. So I backed up my text messages, took out the memory card and reset it. As usual it took some time, but everything returned to the way it was and I have had no problems since.

I wish you luck as I know how frustrating it can be. For over a week I was ready to throw the phone a few times. Hope that helps!

Ty for taking the time to tell me your experiences. I will try these and report back....

OP
spaberlejr

spaberlejr

Reaction score
Trying to soft reset tonight and I will see how it performs tomorrow

OP
spaberlejr

spaberlejr

Reaction score
Ty for taking the time to tell me your experiences. I will try these and report back....

The soft reset did not work -- tried removing SIM card, reseating and rebooting and will see how this goes. When you say you did a factory reset and everything returned to the way it was --- what did you mean by that ? I thought a hard reset like that meant I would lose everything and have to "rebuild" / reload all my apps etc.

wdw4mealso

Reaction score
When tech support told me to do a factory reset I said I really did not want to. In another thread here someone said they had done one and everything came back. So I took out the memory card, and being stupidly cautious,I wrote down all the apps I had, and after wiping it,every app downloaded on their own. I don't know if it was from Google or what.

I will say that it worked for a week. Yesterday I got the data limit reached box again. Tried the soft reset...didn't work. Called in again and this guy seemed aware of this problem. He said he was changing some settings. ????? After another soft reset my data has worked. A rather annoying problem. Our billing cycle ends today, so it will be interesting to see what happens with a full month.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yes if you do a factory reset, you will have to reset everything, but unfortunately that's the only thing I found that worked to stop the "reached data limit" bug.

My wife's maxx had this issue and we cleared the cache, rebooted, and it came back.

Got the idea to enable a data limit, and just set it at about 10gigs, that worked for a few days, then at only 3.8 gigs, the phone said it reached its data limit..so we did a factory reset.. that was four days ago.. so far, no "over limit" pop up...

OP
spaberlejr

spaberlejr

Reaction score
Has the sim card replaced today and will see if this makes a difference

Caric

Reaction score
spaberlejr said:
Has the sim card replaced today and will see if this makes a difference

This is an annoying feature of the new ICS update. The easiest way to stop it is to go to system settings > data usage. Check the box to turn on set data limit. There will be 2 bars that show on the graph, a red one for the data limit and an orange one for the data notification. Move both up to a very high limit (if you have unlimited data). This should keep your data going and stop the notifications from populating. My understanding is there is a maintenance release pushing out soon to fix this issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR!!

OP
spaberlejr

spaberlejr

Reaction score
I had tried to set data usage settings to a high limit without success. So I went ahead and did a hard reset and spend the next 2 hours customizing the phone again ugh! !!!!!. Will report whether or not this fixes the problem

Daballa

Reaction score
When using smart actions I had a rule setup where data turned off while connected to my home wifi. One day data totally cut out away from home and I couldn't figure out why. It turns out my data connection was unchecked and network mysteriously got changed to global instead of cdma/lte. Those experiencing problems may want to check those settings. They can be found in system settings/data/more. Again, the rule I had set would switch data back on when away from home wifi but stopped working, strange.

OP
spaberlejr

spaberlejr

Reaction score
the factory reset I did seems to have worked. no problem since I did it