Data and voice at same time.

tothenet

Reaction score
Well, considering my Droid 2 Global usually can get up to 14 hours on battery power, and my DoCoMo phone does 4+ days with video calls… I wonder about the battery being killed.

Right, Devil's in the detail. D2G has circuit for all technology and doubled to support diversity. Though only CDMA is used, WCDMA circuitary still burns some leakage current. Though WCDMA requires lots of processing, something can be compromised.

D2's battery time is much better since it has CDMA only modem.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
tothenet, I'm not sure where exactly do you get this from, but in my home country, most operators don't even use voice channels of CDMA any more.

I can place a full HD video call while driving at 170km/h using NTT DoCoMo, for example. There will be no issues with the call quality.

At the cost of battery power. I am not saying that's not possible, just that it's not optimal.

For the call quality, VoIP requires lots of trick for example. Packet based data network doesn't fully guarantee QoS, which is especially important for voice call. To mitigate those problems, VoIP duplicates same data over a few packets and also adds some of redundancy, which will help recipient can recover voice data even in worst case.

if subscriber is moving at very high speed, channel condition changes dramatically in fast pace. if phone doesn't monitor channel condition fast enough, there will be error decoding received signal, which lose complete packet since error checking is performed per packet. Of course, NAK is sent to sender but it's too late to wait for re transmission since this will play long silence. Instead, a few redundant packets are send so that at least one frame can arrive safely. Compared to pure voice channel, those are all redundancy, which kills battery.

You can drive 10 ton truck to delivery 1kg parcel.

Anyway, there's technology called SVDO but I don't think Verizon is going to roll out. Simultaneous voice and data will be available for LTE phones only.

Verizon HAS started rolling it out. That's the point of this thread. The HTC Thunderbolt actually WILL get it, only their not advertising it. And no, its not only for the LTE radio, its also coming out for the 3G CDMA radio as well. If you scroll up I actually post a few links about it.

However, I'm not sure if it requires updated chips inside the phones themselves or a simple firmware upgrade to the radios? Maybe its a setting I can tweak with Radiocomm (hopefully without destroying my phone's capability to make a call Motorola Droid 2 Global). But I do know that the HTC Thunderbolt has this capability, also on 3G.

Verizon isn't advertising it because they haven't tested it exhaustedly. They still aren't sure if it will be able to perform up to their "high standards" that they already enjoy. As I posted before, and tothenet has mentioned, CDMA's voice quality is actually top notch when compared to GSM, and we all know that Verizon's network is compared to no other when it comes to coverage. However we still don't know what SVDO will do to battery life, either.

We would have to ask the users of this forum if they have the HTC Thunderbolt, to turn off 4G, then to test the functionality, to see if they can actually do simultaneous voice and data.

Last edited: