Dash Charge Coming To Roms After July?!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Dash Charge is OnePlus's own version of fast charging. It is surprisingly revolutionary. Not only does Dash Charge charge your device fast in the same way Samsung's Fast Charge or Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, it also does this without compromising the integrity of the battery. It does this by limiting the current to a constant 5V at 4A for a power transfer of 20W. Heat dispersion systems are included in the adapter. The system keeps your phone from overheating. The coolest part of Dash Charge is its ability to keep charging your phone at the same rate regardless of whether the phone is in use or not. With Traditional Quick Charging the current is limited while the phone is in use drastically increasing charge times if you use your phone during the charge.

With all of this charging greatness it would be a bummer to have to give this up when flashing a Rom. For now roms do not include Dash Charge, but support is coming sometime after July possibly. So far OnePlus has gone above and beyond in releasing source code for the OnePlus 3. Companies are only required to release source code for kernel, but OnePlus has released much more including kernel source code, device tree, and camera HAL and RIL code. However for now they have not released source code for the Dash Charging which means it won't be incorporated into Roms for now. Hopefully OnePlus will release this source code even though they are not obligated to do so.

Even if they don't release the source code there is the possibility that VOOC drivers may be ported over at some point which would essentially give OnePlus 3 users Dash Charging within Roms. This situation happened with the OnePlus 2. OnePlus took a while to release code for the fingerprint scanner which meant Roms were without fingerprint scanner functionality. OnePlus did eventually update APIs for the fingerprint scanner to reflect AOSP APIs in Marshmallow which meant custom roms could finally support the feature.

OnePlus will be releasing the necessities in binary for custom Roms. Hopefully this will give us what we need to be able to include Dash Charging in custom roms. This release is coming after July.

via XDA

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

With Traditional Quick Charging the current is limited while the phone is in use drastically reducing charge times if you use your phone during the charge.

via XDA

Don't you mean increases?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Don't you mean increases?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
No. You don't want longer charge times which would be increase.

Wait. I reread it again. I confused.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
No. You don't want longer charge times which would be increase.

Wait. I reread it again. I confused.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Read it again, using the phone while charging increases the charge time...

in the sentence

With Traditional Quick Charging the current is limited while the phone is in use drastically reducing charge times if you use your phone during the charge.

So while you're using your phone it actually charges faster? not sure that's what he meant... using your phone makes it charge slower thereby increasing not reducing charge time.

@FoxKat was indeed correct.

and then I reread your post and realized you reread the original and I had already wrote this so I posted it anyway.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Maybe it has something to do with my particular device, but on the Galaxy S5's USB 3.0 quick charge, I can be running FoxFi & surfing the forums and it still charges super fast.
It only makes sense that charge times would diminish while using your device, but personally I've never noticed it. Now my interest is peaked and I'm going to have to do my own test.

S5 tap'n

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I lose about 200 mAh when using my phone and charging.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Foxkat thanks for catching that. Yes with quick charge using your phone while charging increases charge times.