Darn SWYPE

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Anonymouse

Reaction score
haha awesome!! Anytime =]]

Hope the Droid is as addictive as everyone says it is!
Hope it lives up to this hype for me, I never owned a smartphone before so it's going to be better than anything I owned by a LOT lol

I don't have my droid yet either, but I found something to do to pass the time until I get it! I've been bookmarking apps on androlib, and playng with the droid emulator in the SDK. I recommend you do the same, it's teaching me a lot about the phone. Can't wait until tomorrow, that's when I'm getting it!

What's androlib and what's SDK? There is an emulator?

I'll help you with setting up the SDK if you need it. It takes a little while, if you don't know how to.

Diordna

Reaction score

Anonymouse

Reaction score
Assuming you're on Window's, you're going to need to download this
Download the Android SDK | Android Developers
Then extract it to C:\Android, and run the setup. More than likely it'll give you some error about https, so go the settings and enable bypass of HTTPS or something like that. Once you do that, go to AVD's, hit new, 2.0.1, screen size WVGA(854), then hit start. It takes a few minutes to start up, but then it works basically like the Droid would, just with a bit of lag.

lifeisbeautiful

Reaction score
Where the heck is swype

I tried searching for it in app market and can't find it, is there another name...HELP I want it.

C:mad:

bd1212

Reaction score
I've just installed swype on my droid about an hour ago and already have 200+ words already in the dictionary. I highly suggest adding words to the dictionary because it seems to make it easier the next time you "swype" that word next time. Just a little tip for everyone. =]

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
WOW cisco9010. Did I read that right? You average EIGHT THOUSAND texts a DAY. Man, what do you do other than text all day?

My students' record is 26,000 a MONTH. I've never met someone who does a quarter million text messages a month. How do you do it?
I worked in a VZW Call Center for 2-1/2 years. The most I saw was 52,000 and the mother said it was her teenager's phone. (They were unlimited texts thankfully!)

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unlimited mobile to mobile does include texts :)

Thank God haha
Provided you have some sort of texting plan. Like I have the 250 plan. It includes the 250 to 'other carriers' and unl. mobile to mobile.
Let me clear up the texting confusion once and for all.

Current text plans:

Select Plans - Unlimited Text/Pix/flix to any domestic carrier

$ 5 250 message plan: 250 text/pix/flix - NOT unlimited to any other VZW phone.

$10 Unlimited IN/500 out of network. Unlimited VZW to VZW text/pix/flix and 500 total any other domestic carrier whether text/pix/flix

$15 Unlimited IN/1500 out of network. Unlimited VZW to VZW text/pix/flix and 1500 total any other domestic carrier whether text/pix/flix

$20 Unlimited IN/5000 out of network. Unlimited VZW to VZW text/pix/flix and 5000 total any other domestic carrier whether text/pix/flix

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've used Swype for the past couple of weeks and like it a lot. A couple of things I need some clarification on:

Is there a way to save certain words...for instance Swype does not like swear words

Is there an easy way to do words like "doesn't" or "don't" - anything with apostrophe

Typing in web addresses - only thing I know to do is use the slide out keyboard, which I despise!

How about words that have numbers and letters in it - like, for example N1

Thanks in advance.

Pueo

Reaction score
Thx Vulcan1600rider, I was beginning to think a couple of my screws were loose. Now I'm back where I was before, in agreement with your explanation.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thx Vulcan1600rider, I was beginning to think a couple of my screws were loose. Now I'm back where I was before, in agreement with your explanation.
The Call Center experience for 2-1/2 years paid off for me I guess. Some things are just etched in my head.

OP
Anomander

Anomander

Reaction score
I've used Swype for the past couple of weeks and like it a lot. A couple of things I need some clarification on:

Is there a way to save certain words...for instance Swype does not like swear words
I believe if you go to the language/keyboard settings and under user dictionary you can input words into it. I need to do that for the swear words too. Nothing worse then typing something out and it being censored so to speak :) and I added some of my more common swear words. I wonder if they have an app for that? :)

On a side note I installed Swype for my wife. I'm hoping she gets hooked to it like I did.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I believe if you go to the language/keyboard settings and under user dictionary you can input words into it. I need to do that for the swear words too. Nothing worse then typing something out and it being censored so to speak :) and I added some of my more common swear words. I wonder if they have an app for that? :)

On a side note I installed Swype for my wife. I'm hoping she gets hooked to it like I did.
I went into Options, but all it lists is different languages. Didn't see any that would allow me to add words to the dictionary...which would be very sweet.