1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

DarkEdge for Bugless Beast 1.1

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by DroidSloth, Jun 4, 2010.

1. DroidSloth

DroidSloth New Member

Welcome to the DarkEdge. This theme is 100% by xeudoxus and REALigion, I am only porting it over to my favorite rom, Bugless Beast by Pete. For information about the theme itself, please see the main official release thread for more specifics and screenshots about the theme.

Disclaimers
    • This only works (properly) on 1.1, I will update this theme as the developers roll out updates, I will also update this for future versions of Bugless Beast as much as I can.
    • This is a theme only, not a full rom. Please start by installing Bugless Beast 1.1 by Pete
    • This is NOT Bugless! There are some tiny imperfections here and there. Let me know what you find and I'll try to fix them.

Notes
    • Fully optipnged and zipaligned
    • To switch between accent colors or icon sets, just download an install a different file
    • To uninstall and switch to a different theme, see instructions below
    • Launcher is not themed. I tried, lost the 9 screen enhancement of Pete's and thoroughly force closed. Most people seem to be using a replacement anyway, like ADW, LauncherPro, Helix1/2, SweeterHome etc...
    • If you do not want the fonts, delete the fonts folder out of the zip before installing. If you do not want the boot animation, delete the media folder out of the zip before installing.
    • Uses Kovicon's DarkEdge Hybrid icons: [Release] kovicon hybrid (icon pack)
    • YouTube app is not themed, did not want to overwrite anything from the Evo app Pete brought over. Might be themed soon.
    • Framework: Since this is one of the most thorough themes around, it involves changes to the framework-res and jars which Pete optimized as a part of his rom and is a part of what makes it so fast and slick. This theme modifies the images. I optipng all images just as Pete did, but I do not know what effect modifying his framework could have. I have not noticed any slow downs

Instructions
    • Download zip of your choice (All of them work as update.zip, including the apps)
    • Install it

[*]Clockworkmod recovery: put it on your SD card, boot into recovery, select install zip from sdcard, select this zip
      [*]Rom Manager: Select Install Rom From SDCard, find zip file on your sdcard, touch it
      [*]SPRecovery: name the file update.zip, put it in the root of your sdcard, boot into recovery, install zip

Downloads

Themed App Packs - Theming your 3rd party apps

For this step you will need to download the Darkedge_A2S.exe (or darkedge_a2s.sh for mac), a wonderful utility made by the DE development team which moves apps you want to theme from /data into /system. I have included some of the apps from the original DE post but not all.

• Download the apps you are going to theme from the market (Open zip file to see a list of themed apps).
    • Connect (via cable) Droid to PC
      [*]You need to have usb debugging enabled (Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging)​
    • Run a2s, wait for it to complete (it will beep and say "SUCCESS")
      [*]If a2s can not find your adb and you have adb downloaded, move a2s into the same directory (as adb) and try again or make sure it is added to your windows environment path
      [*]If a2s says device not found, you have the incorrect USB drivers. Even if you THINK you have the right drivers, download and install these over them. It can't hurt.
      [*]Depending on your user permission levels in windows, it may help to run a2s as administrator. (Right click and choose "Run as Administrator)​
    • Run the update.zip of the apps color of your choice

BeautifulWidget skins
    DO NOT install this from recovery, only unzip the color you want from this zip to /sdcard/data/beautifulwidgets/skins and changed the name from "DarkEdge-{color}" to "DarkEdge"

*side note, market will show you that there is an update for apps that you have moved to /system, but the update will be installed in /data without theming. Just re-run A2S and it will move only updated ones in /data and overwrite the old version in /system, then theme again.

Uninstalling

Installing a different theme over this will bork things up. Download and install this file to restore back to a stock of Bugless Beast, then you can install whatever else you want.

Support

I will do my best to support this. Not sure how fast this will catch on or how busy people will be. If there are bugs I'll do my best to quickly update it.

Video of UI in action

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. ashin001

ashin001 New Member

u are awesome
  3. ashin001

ashin001 New Member

have i told you that you're awesome? you used the recommended icon pack also.

again, you are awesome.
  4. fizeke136

fizeke136 New Member

Hey DroidSloth,

First thanks a lot for taking the time to do this for us. I've definitely been waiting for this for a while. I just had a quick question: for the market apps are we supposed to dload the files from the original DE thread or are you planning on posting the links later on? you said u included some of the apps from the original thread, but there are no links in that section.
  5. g8gt2012

g8gt2012 New Member

I take it that you are still in the process of uploading all the links. All I can download is blue right now. Thanks for this though. Dark Edge is one of the coolest themes I've seen out and can't wait to put it on BB.
  6. JRowMe

JRowMe New Member

haha dang it, usually the OG Gold is first to come on most of these darkedge ports.
    I heard you're doing blue, then orange?
    I guess I have to wait a bit
  7. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

suscribing..waiting for all links to be up..

anyway themes could harm battery life?
  8. Gremlin

Gremlin Member

Themes in no way harm battery life :)

Thank you Sloth :)
  9. Vikam

Vikam New Member

Thanks alot for doing this, cant wait to try it out, but guess i will wait until the other colors comes out...i like the Red Theme with Red Icon Pack so i will wait until that comes out.
  10. Diordna

Diordna New Member

Can't wait to test!
  11. alm0614

alm0614 New Member

excellent thank you..wanna try this and flavored ice out this weekend
  12. machineheadg2r

machineheadg2r New Member

Blue is the only one done atm. He still has to do the other colors.
  13. hookerdj

hookerdj New Member

Just installed voice was black on black
    Poorly my fault I didnt see you had app pacs il reinstall this later thanks
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  14. JRowMe

JRowMe New Member

orange with icons = 404 error
    not uploaded fully yet?
  15. JRowMe

JRowMe New Member

16. DroidSloth

DroidSloth New Member

Blue and Orange are in (just fixed the link to orange). Uninstall is now available. Sorry but the app packs won't be ready til this weekend, maybe Sunday. I'll probably do Purple next (late late tonight?) just cause I haven't seen that yet, then gold, red/green/pink will follow very shortly after.

Good call JRow - fixed in the OP
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  17. AceDROID

AceDROID New Member

gonna test now and go through to see how it looks. I've been waiting for this! Thank you!
  18. skare16

skare16 New Member

Looks Great! Can't wait for the Red theme.
  19. ytwokc5

ytwokc5 New Member

Anyone installed on top of BB 1.1 with Nextheme without doing a wipe?
  20. Diordna

Diordna New Member

Orange with icons link still bad. Thanks the guy who posted the real link above

And this thread was a sticky not to long ago, what happened with that? lol