Damn glad I went with my instincts and got the razr instead of the Nexus..

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i'll be the lone contrarian...

i picked the GNex over the Razr. it was a tough choice, no doubt.

i have been a die-hard Moto fan for years. and, i was very concerned about the build quality. i will agree that the GNex looks cheap. but, it is actually pretty sturdy. in fact, one of the reasons i picked the GNex over the Razr was because the Razr felt almost too thin, and didn't feel comfortable in my hand (a personal preference, i know). to me, the GNex has a really nice feel to it, and is more sturdy than it looks. the only thing that is really cheap and flimsy is the back cover. but, once it is snapped into place, it really feels like a solid device. i'm not saying that it has better build quality than the Razr (Moto is unmatched in build quality, imo), but the GNex is right on par.

i haven't experienced the signal issues that many people have complained about (right now i'm at -75 dBm). i live in a large metropolitan area with pretty good 4g service, tho. next week i am going skiing in Purgatory, so that should be a pretty good test of the signal issues. last year, my OG had great reception on the mountain, so we will see how the GNex performs.

so far, i have been getting a solid 14 hours out of the batt (right now, i am 10 hrs off charge and sitting at 60%, but i haven't used it heavily today). i have experienced the keyboard lag problem, reported on DL, when typing long emails. but, i would think that would be an easy fix.

overall, i'm very happy with the GNex. it is buttery smooth and fast. i like the Razr, too; but, it was just a couple of little things that pushed me to the GNex. you really can't go wrong with either device, imo.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I only seem to have an issue with 3g, call reception seems to be fine, haven't dropped a call yet or had issues dialing out. Other than that the GNex has been amazing. But I have been waiting for a pure Google device since my D1. I did play with the RAZR in store while waiting to get my GNex and it's a great device! I am glad we have so many great phones to chose from right now.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
No matter what issues a phone, device has, everyone wont experience it or fit in the same category. And everybody doesnt value the same things.

iPhone 4 antenna issues.....couldnt really be seen unless in a weak reception area.
IF the G nex has weak reception....wont be seen unless in a weak reception area. Thing about that is Samsung has been known for weaker radios than Moto, dating back to before Android was even out.

Some folks put custom ROMs, dev support above anything and everything else. Some put actual phone use and features above anything else. Some put the camera above anything else. Some put the multi media features above anything else. Some folks hang out in great reception areas so they really wont see any reception issues.

So for me....I wanted the Bionic and wanted the RAZR for one thing and one thing only: reception. Wound up with the RAZR cuz I didnt have the funds when the Bionic came out. I can use my RAZR in my apt to make and receive calls, reception is bad in my apt so I can still lose the call. Havent really tested a Samsung in my apt recently. Might get the G Nex just to see some things first hand.

jrmdroid

Reaction score
I can use my RAZR in my apt to make and receive calls, reception is bad in my apt so I can still lose the call. Havent really tested a Samsung in my apt recently. Might get the G Nex just to see some things first hand.

Have you looked at getting a network extender? I got one and it solved my reception problem for voice calls. I paid 50 bucks a few years ago and have not had a call drop since at home.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

DaGreen1

Reaction score
I would LIKE a Razr, but I can't upgrade early. Still, it's a very beautiful, and especially STURDY phone. I feel as though if I tried to break it in half over my kneecap, my kneecap will shatter before the phone will.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at getting a network extender? I got one and it solved my reception problem for voice calls. I paid 50 bucks a few years ago and have not had a call drop since at home.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Yea I was pricing it last year. I might be moving soon so I might move into a batter area or better apt. Might just get an extender anyway. I hang out in an area that must be next to a tower. Feels good having Wifi speeds with 4G. I would still use Wifi when I'm at home tho, but it would be nice to have better reception.