Damaged droid

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I gave my OG Droid to my daughter who then decided to put out in her pocket and purse alternating and now the touch screen has a dead section and will flip out and start scrolling and selecting stuff on its own. My question is, is it just the digitizer or did she damage more than that? Thanks for the help.
Sent from my C771 using DroidForums

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
it could be the digitizer but it sounds like it could be more of a hardware issue. did she hit or accidently dropped it? if its not rooted, maybe u can have a vzw tech look at it. hope it gets resolved

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
like she said most likely the digitizer... you can pick one up off amazon or ebay for less then 20 bucks and replace it yourself.

chances are if you take it into verizon there going to want to file an insurance claim($89.00) on it if you have insurance....

OP
treefrog20012003
Reaction score
It works fine other than the home buuton and the row above that do not work. I thought it may be the digitizer as everything else seems to be fine. It is and has been rooted from about six months on. I like to have a good bavkup phone so I guess the digitizer is the way I'll go. Should I get the one with or without the ribbon cable? I would guess with would be better. It was my first droid and it would be a shame to let it die so easy.

But"WHY THE RUM?!"

1mattwade

Reaction score
OG DROID doesn't

I pay for Total Equipment Coverage w/ Verizon and haven't rooted any of my OG DROID's and fortunately/unfortunately the extra $6 & $7 fee every month has paid off. I've been through 4 now, awaiting my 5th free refurbished replacement. I'm not happy w/ Verizon but I don't have it in me to yell at some tech support tool when I'm at least getting another free phone in a day or two MAX. Your problem occurred w/ #1, maybe #2 I think. These phone's are ridiculously fragile and/or subject to bugs, in my opinion, and I only wish PCWorld et al would review these later model phones well after they've debuted to publicize how problematic they are. Yeah, the other respondents are more informed, it's the "digitizer", maybe the flux capacitor. Whatever you do, get an Otterbox style case and pray she can avoid any malware. #2 once even bought my Groupon deal of the day it had gotten so buggy. Thankfully I intended too anyhow, but it could've been much worse. I can't be less satisfied w/ this phone. Is there no forum for this?

OP
treefrog20012003
Reaction score
In my, and the phones, defense it is two years old and ROCKED! Sorry but this phone has been throigh h##l and still worked. I hope it is just the digitizer and as soon as there is spare cash I'm gonna get the part and repair it and hope that is the problem.

But"WHY THE RUM?!"

1mattwade

Reaction score
In my, and the phones, defense it is two years old and ROCKED! Sorry but this phone has been throigh h##l and still worked. I hope it is just the digitizer and as soon as there is spare cash I'm gonna get the part and repair it and hope that is the problem.

But"WHY THE RUM?!"

I wish I knew your secret. I've been disappointed for about a year now. Verizon's not too popular in my circles, mostly Sprint & of course the ever popular iPhone so I've only encountered one other person w/ one besides the 2 of us and they had issues as well. The tech support guy actually told me to try to determine which app might be bringing in bugs by only downloading 1 every 2 days. 1 app every 2 days. That's a bit ridiculous IMHO. It's not like I'm downloading those odd kanji laden risque wall-papers or the latest pop ringtones either. Any suggestions on a better thread? I'm a bit of a n00b here.

wseyller

Reaction score
My original droid is built like a tank. I dropped it so many times. A few months ago I was on the roof and it fell off onto the concrete. I thought surely it would be broke. Came out working like a champ with some nicks and tiny dents. Only had to put the battery cover back on.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

1mattwade

Reaction score
My original droid is built like a tank. I dropped it so many times. A few months ago I was on the roof and it fell off onto the concrete. I thought surely it would be broke. Came out working like a champ with some nicks and tiny dents. Only had to put the battery cover back on.

well clearly you're a corporate plant, but w/ Verizon or Motorola?... :) My latest one went black when it fell out of my lap getting out of a Ford Fusion on an asphalt driveway. Motorola really dropped the ball on this model, or at least the tail end of the release in March 2010, in my opinion, and all the refurbished "certified like new" <bullhockey, cough, cough> replacements. Anybody have "the metal case" for an OG DROID?

wseyller

Reaction score
well clearly you're a corporate plant, but w/ Verizon or Motorola?... :) My latest one went black when it fell out of my lap getting out of a Ford Fusion on an asphalt driveway. Motorola really dropped the ball on this model, or at least the tail end of the release in March 2010, in my opinion, and all the refurbished "certified like new" replacements. Anybody have "the metal case" for an OG DROID?

This first time ever heard of such issues.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
treefrog20012003
Reaction score
I always used pete's roms and had great success. I never even overclocked it since his builds run so well.

But"WHY THE RUM?!"