Damaged AMOLED panel? Razr Maxx, unused CLNR from VZW

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've seen 5 different RAZRs and owned one, only one had that problem, that looks unacceptable. Also there are a few that don't have backlight bleeding from the keys. I would keep changing devices till you get one with no defects.

There's only 1 problem with that philosophy. That's because when they replace devices after the first 1 they will only replace with certified like new devices.

I wasn't about to take a certified like new device replacement for 1 that I bought only 15 to 16 days prior, and that's why I sent both of them back.. I didn't want anybody else's past problems to become my future problems. Don't get me wrong, If the problem presented itself when I use the phone under normal conditions, I would certainly have made a bigger issue of it. But since the problem only presented itself under strange circumstances, and typically only when I'm looking for them I'm not concerned in the least.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've seen 5 different RAZRs and owned one, only one had that problem, that looks unacceptable. Also there are a few that don't have backlight bleeding from the keys. I would keep changing devices till you get one with no defects.

Yeah man.. I would definitely try to get another one. I was in my 14. When I got this one. And since reading that this is like an epidemic, am truly afraid of a refurb. Lol because chances are then I will have to get on the return wagon....lol

:cool:

You've been tapped by the Drummer...

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's only 1 problem with that philosophy. That's because when they replace devices after the first 1 they will only replace with certified like new devices.

I wasn't about to take a certified like new device replacement for 1 that I bought only 15 to 16 days prior, and that's why I sent both of them back.. I didn't want anybody else's past problems to become my future problems. Don't get me wrong, If the problem presented itself when I use the phone under normal conditions, I would certainly have made a bigger issue of it. But since the problem only presented itself under strange circumstances, and typically only when I'm looking for them I'm not concerned in the least.

I was definitely afraid of that too. I told them when I got there I will only accept a brand new one..lol and I got it. Like I said I'm very fortunate. And wouldn't be certain that if i got a refurb at this point that it wouldn't have this issue.. among others. I love this thing..Its nice..But this is too http://www.viddler.com/v/24fd256c
Hope the link works;)

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I've decided to also write Droid Life. See if they might do a piece on this issue. Not because it exists. But the fact that Motorola KNOWS but is acting like it's no big deal. What I wrote : Seems Motorola has a problem with the Droid Razr and Razr Maxx Super AMOLED displays. There are DEDICATED Motorola threads, and threads on many other forums for the Razr. Showing the issue.

This is MY Razr Maxx display. http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd260/xmguy/SNC00262.jpg

This is the third one I've had to date. I'm not just writing this because a few people have defects. But Motorola KNOWS and blames it on "[The] Droid RAZR display uses a new high efficiency OLED material. These screens may in some cases exhibit slightly darker regions"... Goes on to say ... " Because the darker regions are only visible when viewing the black screen in a very dark environment, they will not interfere with general use. Most importantly, they don't change over time and are typical for this generation of OLED material. They in no way indicate a problem or defective screen."

Simply put this has affected several (possibly) hundred users or more. This isn't just phones like mine that are refurbished. But some people reported seeing Razr phones NEW in a Verizon Wireless store saying ALL the phones showed these spots. Some are VERY severe. Covering almost the entire screen. Like these images from some users on Android Central :

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7003/6398444455_458de506ac.jpg

Or this ALSO from Android Central. This one looks like someone at Motorola wanted to leave their "watermark" or signature on the phone and messed up a few times. http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss24/N05M0K1N9/razrscreenflaw.jpg

Motorola Forum Thread. https://forums.motorola.com/posts/9030b1a2d9?post=9030b1a2d9&start=1

Android Central Forum Thread: black screen blotchy (bootup / wallpaper) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

So Motorola KNOWS. Yet will do nothing do rectify the issue.

So hopefully you all can bring this to light and shine the spotlight on Motorola and "MAYBE". They might decide to take action. Instead of letting this ongoing defect continue."

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've decided to also write Droid Life. See if they might do a piece on this issue. Not because it exists. But the fact that Motorola KNOWS but is acting like it's no big deal. What I wrote : Seems Motorola has a problem with the Droid Razr and Razr Maxx Super AMOLED displays. There are DEDICATED Motorola threads, and threads on many other forums for the Razr. Showing the issue.

This is MY Razr Maxx display. http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd260/xmguy/SNC00262.jpg

This is the third one I've had to date. I'm not just writing this because a few people have defects. But Motorola KNOWS and blames it on "[The] Droid RAZR display uses a new high efficiency OLED material. These screens may in some cases exhibit slightly darker regions"... Goes on to say ... " Because the darker regions are only visible when viewing the black screen in a very dark environment, they will not interfere with general use. Most importantly, they don't change over time and are typical for this generation of OLED material. They in no way indicate a problem or defective screen."

Simply put this has affected several (possibly) hundred users or more. This isn't just phones like mine that are refurbished. But some people reported seeing Razr phones NEW in a Verizon Wireless store saying ALL the phones showed these spots. Some are VERY severe. Covering almost the entire screen. Like these images from some users on Android Central :

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7003/6398444455_458de506ac.jpg

Or this ALSO from Android Central. This one looks like someone at Motorola wanted to leave their "watermark" or signature on the phone and messed up a few times. http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss24/N05M0K1N9/razrscreenflaw.jpg

Motorola Forum Thread. https://forums.motorola.com/posts/9030b1a2d9?post=9030b1a2d9&start=1

Android Central Forum Thread: black screen blotchy (bootup / wallpaper) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

So Motorola KNOWS. Yet will do nothing do rectify the issue.

So hopefully you all can bring this to light and shine the spotlight on Motorola and "MAYBE". They might decide to take action. Instead of letting this ongoing defect continue."

I like the idea. Nice post. If a company sells a product and some have the issue and some don't, they can't really say its how the phones materials or build is manufactured or whatever the reason. It clearly says to the consumer...We messed up a few but its not going to affect anything else so you'll be okay if your one of the many thousands that got one as such. Lol Anyway I agree! We can show my phone how there aren't any somehow if we screenshot the same image that another shot with the spots. I strongly remember how it looked on my first one. It wasn't the total reason I returned it three days or so later but it was one...Peace and thanks for the write up!:)

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do alot of work on cellphones and repair most days. Not so much anymore but honestly what I truly think the issue is and yes I could be entirely wrong of course but I wonder if when they spray the adhesive or even parts coating if debris is causing this.??? Because my splotches were on the bottom and were big. Like five. I've seen others that look much different. Idk...

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Thanks Drummer. I'm gonna try swapping more. I've got my Maxx rooted and I'm going to bootstrap/nandroid the file system. So restoring should be simple as can be. I'm moving from my Bionic. Had 15+ of those. So I just hope the Razr won't be the same. But something needs to be done. Motorola needs to fess up. Apple did about Antenna-Gate. So why can't Motorola say we BLEEPED up!?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I do alot of work on cellphones and repair most days. Not so much anymore but honestly what I truly think the issue is and yes I could be entirely wrong of course but I wonder if when they spray the adhesive or even parts coating if debris is causing this.??? Because my splotches were on the bottom and were big. Like five. I've seen others that look much different. Idk...

I had the same suspicions. I wouldn't be surprised if it were as a result of the application of the laminate adhesive which they use to adhere the display to the motherboard. Still, you'd think that they would address that during R&D.

I am very interested in knowing the real truth behind this mystery and I an sure it will eventually be revealed.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I had the same suspicions. I wouldn't be surprised if it were as a result of the application of the laminate adhesive which they use to adhere the display to the motherboard. Still, you'd think that they would address that during R&D.

I am very interested in knowing the real truth behind this mystery and I an sure it will eventually be revealed.

You have to wonder. I know it's Motorola, NOT the SAMOLED it's self. I said before I had a Samsung Continuum. It has a SAMOLED display also. NEVER noticed what I see in these Razr units. If Motorola were saying. We'll fix it, (even if they are bull ^%*&ing) then atleast people might think. Motorola MIGHT be doing something. But to be as either lazy or just simply careless about their customers by saying "it's the way it's made. Live with it" (not a direct quote). You get the idea. It's insane. In a darken room with a black image on the screen and the display on I see it clear as day. "Not noticeable!?"
If they think that, they need to have their eyes checked!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You have to wonder. I know it's Motorola, NOT the SAMOLED it's self. I said before I had a Samsung Continuum. It has a SAMOLED display also. NEVER noticed what I see in these Razr units. If Motorola were saying. We'll fix it, (even if they are bull ^%*&ing) then atleast people might think. Motorola MIGHT be doing something. But to be as either lazy or just simply careless about their customers by saying "it's the way it's made. Live with it" (not a direct quote). You get the idea. It's insane. In a darken room with a black image on the screen and the display on I see it clear as day. "Not noticeable!?"
If they think that, they need to have their eyes checked!

But it's NOT just Motorola. Perhaps you missed my post in the first page, but here's three different device examples from two other manufacturers...XDA board for the Samsung Galaxy S2, or this for the Samsung Galaxy Note, and this for the PSVista.

Do THEY ALSO laminate the screen to the Motherboard? Is it REALLY adhesive that's the problem or is it what the most credible explanations state...a symptom of the manufacturing process. If it were adhesive, the example in the first link to another's phone display http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7003/6...458de506ac.jpg, wouldn't likely show a straight line, but would show perhaps patterns such as the blotches you and others are seeing. The straight line that link shows looks like it was due to something dragging across the display, possibly on an assembly or manufacturing line.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
But it's NOT just Motorola. Perhaps you missed my post in the first page, but here's three different device examples from two other manufacturers...XDA board for the Samsung Galaxy S2, or this for the Samsung Galaxy Note, and this for the PSVista.

Do THEY ALSO laminate the screen to the Motherboard? Is it REALLY adhesive that's the problem or is it what the most credible explanations state...a symptom of the manufacturing process. If it were adhesive, the example in the first link to another's phone display http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7003/6...458de506ac.jpg, wouldn't likely show a straight line, but would show perhaps patterns such as the blotches you and others are seeing. The straight line that link shows looks like it was due to something dragging across the display, possibly on an assembly or manufacturing line.

I withdraw what I said about Motorola. Seems I was lucky I guess not having it on my Continuum. Thank you for those links. Who ever made AMOLED needs to be shot! (lol). That is totally nuts. Should I try to get a replacement? Here is mine again... (current phone)
SNC00262.jpg

pappy53

Reaction score
"Motorola needs to fess up. Apple did about Antenna-Gate. So why can't Motorola say we BLEEPED up!?"

When did Apple fess up? Never did to my knowledge. Said people were "holding it wrong".

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
"Motorola needs to fess up. Apple did about Antenna-Gate. So why can't Motorola say we BLEEPED up!?"

When did Apple fess up? Never did to my knowledge. Said people were "holding it wrong".

Oh yeah. I guess I was thinking about when they got slapped with a lawsuit. Still I guess no company would ever admit they made a mistake. Easier to blame it on the user.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I withdraw what I said about Motorola. Seems I was lucky I guess not having it on my Continuum. Thank you for those links. Who ever made AMOLED needs to be shot! (lol). That is totally nuts. Should I try to get a replacement? Here is mine again... (current phone)
SNC00262.jpg

Here's where it gets interesting...the information I am finding says SAMSUNG manufactures these displays (note at the bottom the SONY PSP Vita), and many of these have reported problems similar to those we're discussing:

(waiting for the trolls and flamers...) ;)

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's where it gets interesting...the information I am finding says SAMSUNG manufactures these displays (note at the bottom the SONY PSP Vita), and many of these have reported problems similar to those we're discussing:

(waiting for the trolls and flamers...) ;)

Yes it seems huge! It is.. and by the way. I love that last line...lol