Damaged AMOLED panel? Razr Maxx, unused CLNR from VZW

xmguy

Reaction score
So I have gotten a Razr Maxx from Verizon. After going through 15+ Bionic units. After pleading with a Tech Support rep I was able to get switched. However, I got the second of the Razr Maxx units I've had since this week. Last one seemed to have a screen alignment issue where in dim lit areas the bottom capacitive buttons shined through the AMOLED screen. Came to find out this is just the way the phone was built.

However the phone was NEVER built like this. Wondered if you all ever seen anything like it? I just got the Razr today and hadn't activated or even used it. Was waiting to get my files moved over. However when I was rebooting the phone in a dark room I noticed what I could only describe. Looked like paint inbetween the AMOLED panel. It ONLY showed up when the backlight was on and the color BLACK was showing on screen. It's all over the entire display. Also it has a burnt pixel. This picture has ONLY been edited to show issue better.

issue does not show under normal lighting like a lamp. Or when white is displayed on screen.

razr_maxx_damaged_screen.jpg

Last edited:
OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
It's very simple. Replace the phone.
My screen looks nothing like that.

What happened is what I'd like to know.

Sent from my BIONIC out in the boonies of TN while picking a guitar!

cbrinson

Reaction score
The answer is so simple. Just stay out of the dark, or come out of the closet. Nothing good ever happens in the dark. Don't you watch SciFy.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So I have gotten a Razr Maxx from Verizon. After going through 15+ Bionic units. After pleading with a Tech Support rep I was able to get switched. However, I got the second of the Razr Maxx units I've had since this week. Last one seemed to have a screen alignment issue where in dim lit areas the bottom capacitive buttons shined through the AMOLED screen. Came to find out this is just the way the phone was built.

However the phone was NEVER built like this. Wondered if you all ever seen anything like it? I just got the Razr today and hadn't activated or even used it. Was waiting to get my files moved over. However when I was rebooting the phone in a dark room I noticed what I could only describe. Looked like paint inbetween the AMOLED panel. It ONLY showed up when the backlight was on and the color BLACK was showing on screen. It's all over the entire display. Also it has a burnt pixel. This picture has ONLY been edited to show issue better.

issue does not show under normal lighting like a lamp. Or when white is displayed on screen.

razr_maxx_damaged_screen.jpg

If you search for SAMOLED dark spots, you'll see it's a common theme and further reading will inform you that it is simply a characteristic of the SAMOLED manufacturing process. The dark spots can only be seen in very dark rooms, and while the display is either in transition or displaying near black images. Otherwise it's undetectable. I wish someone would sticky one of these threads and we wouldn't have so many repeats of threads like this one.

As for the "burnt pixel", how do you know you have a burnt pixel? Have you downloaded and run the various test applications on the market? If so, did any full screen color images have missing dots (black dot in a full RED screen for instance)?

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Ok I got the SECOND Razr Maxx today and it ALSO has the same black spots in the same areas. What gives??!! 2 in a row.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
If you search for SAMOLED dark spots, you'll see it's a common theme and further reading will inform you that it is simply a characteristic of the SAMOLED manufacturing process. The dark spots can only be seen in very dark rooms, and while the display is either in transition or displaying near black images. Otherwise it's undetectable. I wish someone would sticky one of these threads and we wouldn't have so many repeats of threads like this one.

As for the "burnt pixel", how do you know you have a burnt pixel? Have you downloaded and run the various test applications on the market? If so, did any full screen color images have missing dots (black dot in a full RED screen for instance)?

I saw your post. Thank you for your reply. I had a Samsung Continuum a few months ago and never noticed the splotches on it. It too was a SAMOLED screen too. But I found this thread saying ALL the Razrs are like this .black screen blotchy (bootup / wallpaper) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score

As far as the dead pixel. Yep. Totally stock. You can see it in the image above. Dead center between my thumb and pointer finger in the reflected image.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
As far as the dead pixel. Yep. Totally stock. You can see it in the image above. Dead center between my thumb and pointer finger in the reflected image.

OK, so I do see a white dot in the screen. I would like you to do something though. Go to the market and download Dead Pixel Test. This will provide you with irrefutable evidence of whether it's a dead pixel or simply another abberation of the screen only visible under very low light such as your picture shows.

Once loaded, you're presented with a FULL White screen (by full, I mean it even covers the status bar since some others don't). Then you'll tap the screen once each time and it will cycle through Gray, then the three primary or additive colors (Red, Green, and Blue), and then the three complementary or subtractive colors (Yellow, Cyan, & Magenta), then back to White. If you see no problems with all the displayed colors, then you don't have a dead pixel. Also, this program has been known to fix "stuck" pixels by sending pure signal at 255 level to every subpixel on the screen. Give it a whirl and report back.

Good luck! ;)

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I saw your post. Thank you for your reply. I had a Samsung Continuum a few months ago and never noticed the splotches on it. It too was a SAMOLED screen too. But I found this thread saying ALL the Razrs are like this .black screen blotchy (bootup / wallpaper) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

And if you did additional research you would have found this on the XDA board for the Samsung Galaxy S2, or this for the Samsung Galaxy Note, and this for the PSVista. I am sure there are others as well, but it's unimportant as these two prove it's not JUST Motorola OR RAZRs.

The blotches are called either "Clouding" or less commonly called "Mura". As mentioned before, it's a characteristic of the manufacturing of the displays, and as you discovered, it's only visible in either very dark scenes in a movie (and while in a dark room), or on a totally black screen such as between display changes with some software. In the end, it is a VERY SMALL drawback to the displays that will decrease your viewing pleasure infinitely less than the numerous advantages to the SAMOLED display will increase your viewing pleasure, such as vibrant colors, high contrast ratio and better daylight and sun visibility than most other types of displays.

For what it's worth, if someone is staring at a black screen much (not implying that you are), perhaps they would get just as much pleasure out of a piece of black construction paper (no insult intended).

Last edited:

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Look brother. People can call it whatever. It does exist. Many have settled. I was told they were all that way. When I brought my first one in due to that and greenish over tinting as well as blown ear receiver speaker. Mind you it was new and never turned up all the way..lol Anyway...when the reps saw it. They said OK blown speaker. And the rest was normal they said. Mine or my second one and the one I have now? Not one of those issues. Its a different device all together. I personally think its a bad error that was a majority of devices effected by its build or manufacturing or whatever. But.. I can assure you. This one is flawless in those areas. Not one splotch. Great sound. No more green on low light. All good except the keyboard at times does a crazy little number. Lol please go back. And ask to see a COUPLE of other devices. It wasn't meant to be this way. And like i said, they aren't ALL that way...peace!!! And hope to read later that you got one like mine!!!

:cool:

You've been tapped by the Drummer...

Reaction score
Look brother. People can call it whatever. It does exist. Many have settled. I was told they were all that way. When I brought my first one in due to that and greenish over tinting as well as blown ear receiver speaker. Mind you it was new and never turned up all the way..lol Anyway...when the reps saw it. They said OK blown speaker. And the rest was normal they said. Mine or my second one and the one I have now? Not one of those issues. Its a different device all together. I personally think its a bad error that was a majority of devices effected by its build or manufacturing or whatever. But.. I can assure you. This one is flawless in those areas. Not one splotch. Great sound. No more green on low light. All good except the keyboard at times does a crazy little number. Lol please go back. And ask to see a COUPLE of other devices. It wasn't meant to be this way. And like i said, they aren't ALL that way...peace!!! And hope to read later that you got one like mine!!!

You are going to cause a riot... haha

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

ROFLOL. Hey, I'm not excusing it for what it is, but what I am telling you is that the evidence I've found says it's far more widespread than some might like to believe. In fact, I believe that those displays which don't have the blotches or where they are so miniscule as to be difficult - if not impossible to detect (perhaps like your new one) are the exception to the rule, rather than an example. It doesn't take long to research and see it falls across many manufacturers and many more devices - and at risk of being flamed - it seems the greater percentage of SAMOLED displays manufactured. If you were fortunate enough to get one that wasn't presenting with these problems, good for you.

I will tell you that I asked for a replacement, just like you, while I was in my 14-day return policy. The one that I received - BRAND NEW in a box from Motorola had even more splotches than the one I bought. When I complained about that one, they sent me another but this time, it was a CLN and I wasn't about to take a refurb to replace my originally purchased NEW phone, but just to see, I powered it up and it too exhibited the same problems. So I boxed them both up and sent them both back. I am still today using the one I purchased originally and haven't looked back since.

Truth be told, I don't see those blotches EVER unless I am looking for them. To each his own though. Would I like to have one that didn't exhibit these abberations? Well, who wouldn't? Does it really affect my enjoyment of the phone? Not in the least.

;)

Last edited:

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
ROFLOL. Hey, I'm not excusing it for what it is, but what I am telling you is that the evidence I've found says it's far more widespread than some might like to believe. In fact, I believe that those displays which don't have the blotches or where they are so miniscule as to be difficult - if not impossible to detect (perhaps like your new one) are the exception to the rule, rather than an example. It doesn't take long to research and see it falls across many manufacturers and many more devices - and at risk of being flamed - it seems the greater percentage of SAMOLED displays manufactured. If you were fortunate enough to get one that wasn't presenting with these problems, good for you.

I will tell you that I asked for a replacement, just like you, while I was in my 14-day return policy. The one that I received - BRAND NEW in a box from Motorola had even more splotches than the one I bought. When I complained about that one, they sent me another but this time, it was a CLN and I wasn't about to take a refurb to replace my originally purchased NEW phone, but just to see, I powered it up and it too exhibited the same problems. So I boxed them both up and sent them both back. I am still today using the one I purchased originally and haven't looked back since.

Truth be told, I don't see those blotches EVER unless I am looking for them. To each his own though. Would I like to have one that didn't exhibit these abberations? Well, who wouldn't? Does it really affect my enjoyment of the phone? Not in the least.

;)

I'm indeed fortunate....lol but if i ever need to return it...lol I'm probably going to get one with the issue...lol its all good brother! I'm so ready to root and flash this thing. I'm still as shocked as most of the community here that I haven't flashed anything yet since I upgraded ..lol won't be much longer though...:)

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I've seen 5 different RAZRs and owned one, only one had that problem, that looks unacceptable. Also there are a few that don't have backlight bleeding from the keys. I would keep changing devices till you get one with no defects.