Daily resarting my D2

illinicee

Reaction score
Has anyone run into the issue where their D2 just randomly restarts itself during the day. It happens to me at least once a day. I also find that I am pulling the battery on average once a day because I can't get the screen to turn back on. This is my second D2 with this problem and I hoped getting the second one would take care of these issues but I guess not. Short of breaking it and getting a replacement, I am stuck with this one and would really like to figure out why it is doing what it does. I am on stock OS and am not rooted. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone run into the issue where their D2 just randomly restarts itself during the day. It happens to me at least once a day. I also find that I am pulling the battery on average once a day because I can't get the screen to turn back on. This is my second D2 with this problem and I hoped getting the second one would take care of these issues but I guess not. Short of breaking it and getting a replacement, I am stuck with this one and would really like to figure out why it is doing what it does. I am on stock OS and am not rooted. Thanks.

More then likely this is a result of something your running on your D2 causing this to happen. If you're running a task killer or an antivirus, get rid of it. Then go to settings/privacy/factory data reset. Reset the phone.

Now what should happen is that you'll have to sign back into everything but all your apps will return on their own. It use to be that only the paid apps returned but I think they changed something because the last time I did it that's what happened with mine and many others report the same thing.

If that doesn't happen then just go to the Market and go to My apps and you will at least find your paid apps there.

But remember if your running either of the two apps I mention above, delete them before doing this. If not, do it anyway it will fix your issue.

kingsway8605

Reaction score

It is Motoblur. Motoblur is a custom rom in the same way Bugless Beast or Cyanogen is a custom rom. And with customization comes instability.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6

It is Motoblur. Motoblur is a custom rom in the same way Bugless Beast or Cyanogen is a custom rom. And with customization comes instability.

thats not the case.

kingsway8605

Reaction score

thats not the case.

Yes it is

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6

thats not the case.

Yes it is

Every rom is a "custom rom" to some extent if you want to be technical. Cyanogenmod7 has more customization than any other rom and is 100% stable...so, what your saying is absolutely not the case. Besides, he never even said a thing about custom roms...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[

I'm afraid you are incorrect. I have blur and I do not have any issue like that. If the OP follows the instructions I gave them they will be fine.

solar

Reaction score
I agree with Hookbill and patmw123. Blaming it on motoblur doesn't make sense. It's not my favorite version on android, but its more then likely an app running a particular task thats causing it (like hook said).

Also, as an aside, using the hard keys ALT + Shift + Del will perform a reset even if the system locks up. This is easier then pulling the battery and works most of the time.

OP
I

illinicee

Reaction score
So far, so good. Thanks hookbill for the instructions. It must have been either my task killer or virus app. Thanks to solar for the nice shortcut instead of removing my battery.

Any suggestions for a reliable virus app and/or a task killer that won't cause my D2 to restart itself. I would definitely like to be able to kill apps and don't know if there is a way to do it without an app. Thanks for your help.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
[

I'm afraid you are incorrect. I have blur and I do not have any issue like that. If the OP follows the instructions I gave them they will be fine.

Afraid not. Motoblur is a customized rom. Apps are written for stock android. Some of these apps conflict with the customized Motoblur. The reason you are not experiencing it is because you don't have any conflicting apps installed. Music apps and apps that mess with the lock screen seem to be a common source of the reboots, most likely conflicting with the modified motoblur lockscreen.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
thats not the case.

Yes it is

Every rom is a "custom rom" to some extent if you want to be technical. Cyanogenmod7 has more customization than any other rom and is 100% stable...so, what your saying is absolutely not the case. Besides, he never even said a thing about custom roms...

It is because the cyanogen programmers are better than motorola's programmers.

solar

Reaction score
So far, so good. Thanks hookbill for the instructions. It must have been either my task killer or virus app. Thanks to solar for the nice shortcut instead of removing my battery.

Any suggestions for a reliable virus app and/or a task killer that won't cause my D2 to restart itself. I would definitely like to be able to kill apps and don't know if there is a way to do it without an app. Thanks for your help.

Good to hear, and you are most welcome!

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
[

Afraid not. Motoblur is a customized rom. Apps are written for stock android. Some of these apps conflict with the customized Motoblur. The reason you are not experiencing it is because you don't have any conflicting apps installed. Music apps and apps that mess with the lock screen seem to be a common source of the reboots, most likely conflicting with the modified motoblur lockscreen.

Blur isn't a custom rom really so much as an overlay that Moto puts over stock Android. There are alot of problems with blur, mostly because it is very resource intensive and leaks what resources it does pull.

@op there are no anti-virus/task killers that wont cause problems. The first link in my signature explains why you don't need an AV and there's a great explanation in a thread titled" googles answer to task killers" (think that's the name). Basically though the reason for nat having AV is because linux is not like windows. It is much more secure. The only way that malicious apps can get in is if YOU install it. Just check permissions when you install, don't pirate apps, don't install apps from sources you don't trust. For task killers, the native one built into android is better than any third party one. It is also different than a pc. Empty ram on a droid is wasted ram.

Sent from a D2G running my rom

John_Droid2

Reaction score
Droid 2 Restarts

Seems to be a problem with the Droid 2, I read about it on the web many times. As my Droid 2 had the same problem (Verizon just swapped it out), but also a co-worker same problem. Another co-worker has a Verizon HTC, not sure of the model, his works fine no restarts.

Restarted many times either during or after a phone call.

Well let everyone know how this unit works.