D4 Keys Wearing Off

DMVantastic

Reaction score
Hi to all. I use my phone constantly but I'm slow to embrace the latest technology. I joined this forum to find advice about my Droid 4 keys that are wearing off after three months. Only one other person seems to have this problem with the D4.

Loved the Razr that I got seven years ago and returned to Motorola due to that phone's quality and the D4's physical keyboard. Sure am disappointed that the rubber surface is wearing off the keys and fear that Verizon will refuse to replace phone since I didn't buy insurance. Looking for helpful advice.

Thanks.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
welcome to the forum :)

i would take it back to verizon, the phone has a one year warranty.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Good luck if you visit with VZW store - as noted above, it does have a 1 year warranty so hopefully you can get a resolution!

OP
D

DMVantastic

Reaction score
Hi to all. I use my phone constantly but I'm slow to embrace the latest technology. I joined this forum to find advice about my Droid 4 keys that are wearing off after three months. Only one other person seems to have this problem with the D4.

Loved the Razr that I got seven years ago and returned to Motorola due to that phone's quality and the D4's physical keyboard. Sure am disappointed that the rubber surface is wearing off the keys and fear that Verizon will refuse to replace phone since I didn't buy insurance. Looking for helpful advice.

Thanks.

Thanks for all your responses. Now the challenge will be whether my local Verizon store even has another D4. I got their "only one" when I bought it. Assuming I can get another D4, will I have to reload my widgets and apps or will all my settings export over?

comk4ver

Reaction score
Yes but not one by one assuming you have everything under your Google account. As soon as you log in with it everything will transfer overt except settings and widgets.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

remymagnet

Reaction score
Driod 4 keys wearing off / can't read keys

I love this phone. It's got some short comings. But IMHO, I can burn through typing with a physical key board compared to on screen. My first D4 started to loose the letters on the keys at about 3 - 4 months. So I got a refurbished one. Keyboard was in great / new shape and now 3 - 4 months later same problem. M can not be read at all. It goes first, then N, then K, then J and H with about the same amount of wear.

This totally sucks.

The keys work great, it's just the letters can not be read. Must be some manufacturing defect or something. I've searched on this topic before and not got any hits. VZW in store reps said they could not replace the first one because wear was not covered.

On my last one I had an additional problem, speaker crackle or something, which was covered and I did not expect to see the keys wear again on this one.

I think the keyboard must be slightly too high, perhaps in the location of the keys mentioned and the slide itself is wearing them down. I can't believe that in 3 months I am. And there is no greater use of these keys than most others.

I'm not sure what I'll do, but I'll do something. :)) I tried permanent marker on my last one. That did not last even a day. Interested to hear from others with similar issues.

Thanks.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The key surfaces are very thin, the lettering is thinner, your fingers are abrasive, and your finger oils are a mild solvent. My home computer's keyboard is suffering the same thing... Laptop too. Given the keys on those are much more substantial. It's no wonder someone who "burns through typing" will cause the lettering to wear away.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk