D3 Losing the Dev Love?

dmg

Reaction score
Are developers still working on the Droid 3? It seems like there are less developments now that the Bionic has come out. Could someone give me an update on where we are for the bootloader and if possible does anyone know a speculated date for the release? I'm sorry to be vague but I just can't seem to find any valid information.

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Are developers still working on the Droid 3? It seems like there are less developments now that the Bionic has come out. Could someone give me an update on where we are for the bootloader and if possible does anyone know a speculated date for the release? I'm sorry to be vague but I just can't seem to find any valid information.

Bootloader is locked. Unless we get a leak, it may stay that way. Recovery is continuously being developed. What is being worked on with that is what they are calling working in a "sandbox" meaning they are designing it to essentially be a dual boot. A new rom would be flashed to a separate partition in order to keep the original system in tack, so if anything goes wrong flashing something, you wont brick as easily. When that is completed, roms will start rolling out. Development definately is continueing on the d3

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
D

dmg

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. I was just curious because I see all of the updates to the droid bionic being posted and the first rom has already been released for it, so i was just wondering what progress there was on the D3. I guess the bootloaders are just coded differently. Thank you again for the reply

Darksthour

Reaction score
I feel that only because the bionic just was released it's definatly getting a lot of attention. It by no means that devs are favoring one device over the other. If a dev owns a D3 and wants to make a rom he's going to do it on a D3. Also I feel that the software and hardware is so similar between the devices getting a rom made on a bionic/D3 will be ported over to the other device so easily. Hence why D3 owners waited for root and when they found that they used the same exploit to get the bionic rooted before it even came out. Or any moto device running 2.3.

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. I was just curious because I see all of the updates to the droid bionic being posted and the first rom has already been released for it, so i was just wondering what progress there was on the D3. I guess the bootloaders are just coded differently. Thank you again for the reply

Another thing to add is the d3 cwm based recovery is different than the bionics. The developer is taking it to the next level so that it can be a dual boot. As long as that original system is in tact, you will never be bricked. Not sure if the bionic bootstrap allows you to boot into recovery from an off state, but that may be another diffence since you can be turned off and select bp tools to boot into cwmr

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Another thing to add is the d3 cwm based recovery is different than the bionics. The developer is taking it to the next level so that it can be a dual boot. As long as that original system is in tact, you will never be bricked. Not sure if the bionic bootstrap allows you to boot into recovery from an off state, but that may be another diffence since you can be turned off and select bp tools to boot into cwmr

Is there any more information on that? I'm curious as to how that would work with dual. Would we select a boot up sequence? IE; Custom or Stock when powering up to prevent brick? Sounds cool, I can't wait to see how that turns out....

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
woodyman has a D3. He is in school. I'm sure at some point he'll have something working.